Rogue AP Mobile App Eating My Data!

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So as I am nearing going over my 2 GB data limit (for the first time every, but less than a month after getting my SGSII), I did some research and installed My Data Manager and found that AP Mobile was eating up about 3MB per hour. Can't stop, can't uninstall, can't change settings; you can force stop, but it restarts again. So I chat with AT&T but no luck, they won't comp the overages, won't comp the upgraded data plan. So I have to return the phone, which I love, for the iPhone 4S. Here is the transcript of my chat with AT&T, thought you might enjoy. Would love to stay with Android, but this is not looking good, and no other AT&T droids look as good.

info: You are now chatting with 'Michael DAmico'
Michael DAmico: I'm sorry to hear that. I can post the instructions for deleting an app. If it is one of the pre-installed apps then it can't be deleted in which case all we can do is ask you to chat back when the bill comes out for a credit. I will see if I can find any way to delete it.
Michael DAmico: If you can't uninstall it, you can close it.
Me: Yeah, no way to delete it, I checked, which is the big problem here. The online forums are filled with this issue, with no apparent answers. I installed a monitoring app and this AP MObile is eating 75% of my data!
Michael DAmico: I will post how.
Me: Can't close it either, it just re-opens itself and uses data in the background. I don't even have it open or on my desktop.
Michael DAmico: From the home screen, press and hold the Home key.
Michael DAmico: Tap Task manager.Tap the desired option. Tap Exit next to the desired application to close it.
Michael DAmico: Tap Exit all to close all running applications
Me: I set the sync options on it to Never, still eating up a few MB every hour. Yep, it is never open in the task manager, never ever. I am aware of that.
Me: I got into Manage Applications and force it to stop, then it restarts itself
Michael DAmico: 888-987-4357 is Samsung's number to see if there is some way to stop it from restarting itself. I'll check the user guide quick. Hang on
Me: Nope, all the forum posts get the same runaround, AT&T sends them to Samsung, then Samsung sends everyone back to AT&T.
Me: I could share with you the full chat logs from others who've had the same response.
Me: Here, just for grins: My Android Data Problem ? allankintz.com
Michael DAmico: Okay, thanks. I don't see AP Mobile in the user guide. I'll read what you sent me.
Me: So what do I do here? I don't want to get charged for overages when some rogue app is using 75% of my data without my permission.
Me: And no one can seem to help.
Me: Sudden increase in data usage - how do I find out the cause? - Android Forums
Michael DAmico: Still reading. It does seem to be a Samsung problem.
Me: Doesn't AT&T control/release the software?
Me: Also, I assume Samsung is not going to pay my overage charges.
Michael DAmico: Samsung controls what the pre-installed applications are.
Me: Still, they won't pay my data bill, so what to do?
Michael DAmico: I'll see if changing phones is practical.
Me: And I did buy the phone from AT&T.
Me: What does that mean? Not the SGSII?
Michael DAmico: And you bought the phone on October 14?
Me: Yep
Me: About a month ago. A few days back I got the 65% warning and assumed it was from early usage and downloads. Got the 90% message today and freaked out and installed a monitoring app and saw the problem. Had I know earlier...
Me: Possible to just get the data waived?
Michael DAmico: It needs the data feature because it is a smart phone. You can call this number to see if this department will exchange the phone for another model: 866-650-1836 Hours of Operation (times are ET)
Michael DAmico: Mon - Fri 9 am - 12 Midnight
Michael DAmico: Sat - 10 am - 9 pm
Michael DAmico: Sun 12 Noon - 8 pm
Me: So that is the only option, no way to just have the overages waived?
Michael DAmico: There's about 8% left with 8 days left in the cycle. Have there been overages billed yet?
Me: Nothing billed yet, no, but I will go over as I cannot stop this app from its thing
Me: WHat is the cost for the next data plan up?
Michael DAmico: Then you can chat back when the bill comes out for a credit. How do you know this app is using 75% of your data?
Michael DAmico: 4 GB for $45 which is the same as the 2 GB with 2 GB of overage.
Me: An app called My Data Manager, which comes highly recommended, downloaded from the Market
Me: So what am I paying now, do you know, is it $30 or $25?
Michael DAmico: And Samsung's final answer was that it's pre-loaded and can't be removed as I recall from the information you sent me. You are paying $25 now and $10 for each additional GB.
Me: Ugh, I don't want to jump to $45, that's almost double; any way to get that comped until this is figured out?
Me: And will AT&T just credit me each month if I call in after I get the bill?
Michael DAmico: I can transfer you to the billing chat to see if that department has a solution.
Me: ok, sure, if that might help, thanks
info: Please wait while I transfer the chat to the appropriate chat representative. Please be patient as someone will be with you shortly.
info: You are now chatting with 'Angela Turner'
Me: Do you know if AT&T is aware of this issue and has any pla ns at all to fidx it?
Me: Oh, hi, Angela
Angela Turner: Mr. [Me], I will be happy to assist you with your billing questions.
Angela Turner: Mr.[Me], how can I assist you?
Me: Not sure if you can see the prior chat. Long story short, I have a 2GB data plan, and my brand new Samsung Galaxy S II has a bad pre-installed app that chews up data and I am going over my plan. This thing eats up about 3 MB per hour so it's killing me, and there is no fix from AT&T or Samsung, and I don't want to pay overages.
Me: I would like to get moved up in data plan until this is fixed, but without paying the $45, just the $25 now
Me: It's a phenomenally well documented problem on the internet forums, which is how I learned of it and started monitoring my device and confirmed the problem.
Angela Turner: If you move up in the data plan, you will have to pay for the data because you are actually using it. Not meant to be condescending.
Me: That's just it, I am NOT using it, the app is, and I cannot stop it.
Angela Turner: Is the application running in the background?
Me: Yes, and I cannot shut it down or uninstall it. I can force it to stop, then it restarts
Angela Turner: Samsung, did not have a way to uninstall the program?
Me: I literally cannot stop it. Since 4 PM today it has eaten 15MB of data.
Me: No, Samsung says it comes pre-installed and cannot be deleted.
Angela Turner: Please allow me 2-3 minutes.
Me: thx
Angela Turner: You may have provided this information already, but I do not see it on the chat. What is the name of the software that is running in the background?
Me: AP Mobile
Me: It's a news widget from Associated Press
Angela Turner: Thank you.
Angela Turner: Press and hold down the home key it will bring up the task manager. Try to close the program.
Me: It does not show up in Task Manager, never has. I have to go into Manage Applications in Settings and Force Stop. The it restarts again in the background/
Angela Turner: Usually in the software, a website or a number is provided. Have you tried to contact support at AP Mobile?
Me: Believe me, if I could get it to stop, I would have. Also, not to be condescending, but I am an advaned user and researched this well in advance. Clearly I am in a bind here and need some help.
Me: THe app is pre-installed, I am not going to contact AP Mobile. I bought the phone from AT&T and should not have to jump through hoops tp get an issue resolved. Do I have to return the phone to get resolution?
Me: I see two options. One, comp the upgraded data plan until this is resolved. Two, I return it at no charge for a different phone. Are there other options?
Angela Turner: That is what I recommend because, we are not able to upgrade you to another data plan without charging you and I know you know how to use your phone.
Me: What if I go over my plan and call in after, can I get credit for the overages?
Angela Turner: The other option is to contact AP Mobile and see what they can do for you since it is there pre-installed application that is causing the problem for you.'
Me: Please don't ask anyone else to do that; it's about the worse advice possible.
Angela Turner: The account will be documented, if you were to go over in data we will have to make a determination at that time.
Me: I will not contact the Associated Press about a widget on my phone I got from AT&T; please don't every suggest that to some poor soul who doesn't know better.
Angela Turner: This is good information. ATT only markets and sell the phone.
Me: Hah, priceless; hope this is documented as well. Nice.
info: Your chat transcript will be sent to joseph.[Me]@gmail.com at the end of your chat.
Angela Turner: Mr. [Me], you can print or email the chat for your documents.
Me: Oh, I will, thanks.
Angela Turner: Can I assist you with anything else?
Me: No, thanks
Angela Turner: We value you as a customer with AT&T and we appreciate your business. Thank you for visiting AT&T Live Support Chat. It has been my pleasure to assist you today, please click the close button to end your session. A customer satisfaction survey will automatically appear and we appreciate your feedback.

Reactions: Sambo41

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Here are some real options for now. Call at and t and they will comp the overage once it happens. Set AP to 3 hour updates as also mentioned in forums. I have never had it turn on at all on my phone. Its attached to other Widgets. So never open them.... or

Back up your contacts and apps to your Gmail account. Do a factory reset. Re sync with gmail.
Do not open any Widgets including Facebook work weather or whatever until they get a fix for this

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Back up, do a factory reset, don't touch the AP mobile widget. Talk to ATT about any overages and extending your 30 day return period another 30 days.

albert_wesker

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Go over to xda and look for zergrush

Easiest root. Took me less than 5 minutes to root and remove AP widget. It didn't erase anything on my gs2, just simple root access now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deenybird

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, all. I just don't agree that rooting is a solution. Either AT&T or Samsung need to fix this, or else credit everyone for the data usage.

KeiranSolaris

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree jbliv but in the meantime if you don't want to deal with the hassle of calling AT&T every month to get a credit you have some options open to you.

If you do a factory reset then never use the widget it never uses data. I have two GS2s on my account and the first thing I did with them was remove all the stupid widgets and bloatware to a folder in my app catalog and just ignore them. Never used them and I haven't seen AP Mobile use any data on my phone (yes I'm using data manager to track usage) so I know if you are careful on a new device you can sidestep the issue.

This isn't a fix and it doesn't excuse Samsung for putting this piece of junk on what is otherwise an excellent phone but it should help you in the short term.

njr

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
While you are waiting for a fix, and if you don't want to root, the best thing to do is leave the widget on a home page and set it for 3 hour refresh. It iwll use about a MB of data a day, but still much better than waht you are experiencing. Also call AT&T and ask for a credit for the usage if you are not on an unlimited plan,

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I was having this problem too...but for me, deleting the ap widget off of my homescreen fixed that. I don't really need a news widget app anyway.

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I a going to try the factory reset today before I return the phone. Anyone have any pull to get a news story on this through Android Central or another site? I can't believe no one is covering this, which would put some pressure on the two entities to resolve. Thanks, everyone!

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I a going to try the factory reset today before I return the phone. Anyone have any pull to get a news story on this through Android Central or another site? I can't believe no one is covering this, which would put some pressure on the two entities to resolve. Thanks, everyone!

Was thinking along the same lines. All I got when I contacted Samsung was that its an ATT issue, with both parties passing the blame to the other it will be hard to find a resolution. I did factory reset and been using another launcher instead of touchwiz just to ensure nothing related to AP mobile does not trigger it again.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Simply amazing... I'm glad I came across this. The wife and I are thinking about switching over to AT&T and getting this phone. I'm all for root anyways. Root and uninstall all the s***ware they put on the phone. It's unbelievable that the OP got such a runaround on the issue. And yet, rooting voids the warranty? Seriously now... Rooting and uninstalling the offending app is the perfect way to solve the problem, but users shouldn't have to root just to uninstall crapware. And the ****** scripted response to the OP's issue? Utter ridiculous. Somebody needs to get slapped in the teeth over this nonsense.

Rooting and custom ROMs FTW!

tpain7765

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Go over to xda and look for zergrush

Easiest root. Took me less than 5 minutes to root and remove AP widget. It didn't erase anything on my gs2, just simple root access now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Do you think you could give me a quick step by step on this method? Or at least a link to the thread you used as a go by? I did a search and came across a couple different methods, and I just want to make sure I use the right one. Thanks

mcj108

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem too, if you remove the widget, clear data from it in settings, then if you don't touch the widget it will stop eating all you're data, it almost killed me because I have a meager 200 mb plan for the next few months. I really love this phone, but that was really annoying.

Before I knew this worked I contacted Samsung about it, they said they couldn't do anything about it, and to yell at AT&T or AP (not in that exact quotation though :p) AT&T's support is terrible so I didn't want to deal with them though.

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Here are some real options for now. Call at and t and they will comp the overage once it happens. Set AP to 3 hour updates as also mentioned in forums. I have never had it turn on at all on my phone. Its attached to other Widgets. So never open them.... or

Back up your contacts and apps to your Gmail account. Do a factory reset. Re sync with gmail.
Do not open any Widgets including Facebook work weather or whatever until they get a fix for this

Finally tried the 3-hour tip, and damned if it didn't stop the app cold. Thanks for the reminder. I had read if but felt it was unlikely.

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
While you are waiting for a fix, and if you don't want to root, the best thing to do is leave the widget on a home page and set it for 3 hour refresh. It iwll use about a MB of data a day, but still much better than waht you are experiencing. Also call AT&T and ask for a credit for the usage if you are not on an unlimited plan,

So I finally tried the 3-hour tip and it worked. Thanks. I had read it previously but felt it was unlikely to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon