Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB charge time slow?

Wondered if anyone has a solution to "my phone charges slowly from USB, but fine using the included wall charger"? I'm coming from an iPhone where my Gigabyte motherboard supports Apple's higher current USB port option. Charging from my computer took a couple hours at most before. Now I give it an hour and I get less than 10% higher.

Worst case, can I buy more of the wall adapters that work? I worry that if a computer's USB port can't properly charge my phone that many wall adapters might not work too.

Default Re: USB charge time slow?

The phone charges much slower than an iPhone, regardless of what it's plugged in to. The Skyrocket charges as fast or faster than an iPhone believe it or not.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious JellyBean 4.1.1

USB provides much lower power than the wall socket. Max, on USB 2.0 is 500mA I think.
    I could be wrong but I think the battery charge rate is determined by the device manufacturer so each device has a different rate. Used to be the faster the charge, the lower the battery longevity, and the slower, the better... My SGII definitely charges faster on the wall socket than the PC.
    Now... USB 3.0 provides more power (900mA) than USB 2.0, so that might be a viable charging option for those that have it...
    Thanked by 2:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveISU View Post
    The phone charges much slower than an iPhone, regardless of what it's plugged in to. The Skyrocket charges as fast or faster than an iPhone believe it or not.
    I kind of expected it to overall be slower, but I'm attempting to find out how to charge it fast with something other than the single power plug USB adapter they included with my phone.

And interesting about the Skyrocket. I'm not willing to pay an extra $100 for the slightly bigger screen and from what I hear less efficient CPU though (higher MHz, but not always faster benchmarks). And heard the battery life was going to be likely worse, but this was all pre-launch under the assumption it was a T-mobile copy.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
    USB provides much lower power than the wall socket. Max, on USB 2.0 is 500mA I think.
    I could be wrong but I think the battery charge rate is determined by the device manufacturer so each device has a different rate. Used to be the faster the charge, the lower the battery longevity, and the slower, the better... My SGII definitely charges faster on the wall socket than the PC.
    Now... USB 3.0 provides more power (900mA) than USB 2.0, so that might be a viable charging option for those that have it...
    Yeah, standard for USB is 500mA. The Apple port offers 1.5A I guess. Interesting that USB 3.0 might be higher. I'll have to try one of my 3.0 ports.

Either way it seems there might be magic in the wall socket adapter that signals the phone to draw more. This is what Apple does. Some kind of resister that isn't usually there between two pins (I read once about someone that reverse engineered it).