Not receiving picture messages.

aBrant5

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
For whatever reason, my galaxy SII is not receiving my picture messages. In the message thread I can see that I've gotten a picture message, and it will say that it's downloading, but never retrieve it. I also cannot send out picture messages. I'm not sure why this is, because my plan includes multimedia messages.

Any help is appreciated!

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing when I turn off mobile data. If mobile data is turned on then picture messages come straight through and send fine, but with it turned off it just says "downloading" and my I can't send them either. Once I turn mobile data back on after missing a picture message the "downloading" changes to a button to "Download."

I like to turn off my mobile data when I don't need it to prevent stuff in the background from using my data (very important because I am only on the 200MB plan) but I don't know if it is worth potentially missing messages. I did have one MMS that I received with my mobile data turned off and it still just says "downloading" and never gave me the option to download so now I may never know what was sent! I asked him to resend it but he says he deleted the text and didn't remember what it was.

Reactions: aBrant5

aBrant5

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That could be the problem.. because I always turn my mobile date off as well whenever I'm not using it.
But even if I had Wifi on, the picture message still wouldn't come through? Because a lot of times when I get picture messages, I'm at home on my Wifi.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
That could be the problem.. because I always turn my mobile date off as well whenever I'm not using it.
But even if I had Wifi on, the picture message still wouldn't come through? Because a lot of times when I get picture messages, I'm at home on my Wifi.

No, it still wouldn't work. I am facing the same problems. For other phones there are apps to turn off mobile data but still allow MMS (such as APNDroid) but it currently does not work for the SGS2. If anyone knows of a data toggle that still allows MMS when data is off please post it!

aBrant5

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, please! I was wondering if it's something to do with At&t.. because I asked my friend to send me a picture message, and he couldn't send it either. He's also on at&t, and has a Samsung infuse.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
There are a number of apps on the market that let you bypass your data plan. Some are free and some aren't. I've never used one, but a lot of people like Whatsapp. It's not free though.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
There are a number of apps on the market that let you bypass your data plan. Some are free and some aren't. I've never used one, but a lot of people like Whatsapp. It's not free though.

I realize that there are several apps on the market that let you turn off your mobile data, but none that I have seen will allow you to receive MMS messages with your data turned off. If you know of one that will allow you to send and receive MMS messages with mobile data turned off please let us know what it is called.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Even with my blackberries, I could never send/receive mms through wifi, it would switch to mobile data. So its not Android specific.

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Even with my blackberries, I could never send/receive mms through wifi, it would switch to mobile data. So its not Android specific.

This is true, but...there are apps (the most popular being APNDroid) that will turn data off, and automatically turn it back on when you send and receive MMS and go back off without letting any other data through. It works most phones, but currently does not work for the Galaxy S2. So, I was simply asking if anyone had found one such app that DOES work on the Galaxy S2 to turn off data but still allow MMS through.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You can add a new apn setting for mms and that seems to work for some. You can also flash the MIUI ROM from xda. It has a few kinks in it yet, but most love it. It allows for sending/receiving mms without a data connection. Personally, I don't understand why mms should require data since they enable mms on dumbphones without data. It's an AT&T scam. The MIUI ROM defeats it. I'm going to flash it myself this weekend.

Hope this helps a little...

chmcke01

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You can add a new apn setting for mms and that seems to work for some. You can also flash the MIUI ROM from xda. It has a few kinks in it yet, but most love it. It allows for sending/receiving mms without a data connection. Personally, I don't understand why mms should require data since they enable mms on dumbphones without data. It's an AT&T scam. The MIUI ROM defeats it. I'm going to flash it myself this weekend.

Hope this helps a little...

I might look into it, but from what I have heard MIUI isn't even the second-most stable (the concensus seems to be that UnNamed is the most stable and then CM7 after that).

I will contact the developer of UnNamed and see if that is a CWM flashable add-on he could make.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Let us know what they say. From what I found so far, MIUI is the only ROM that provides for mms without data. So many people love it that I just have to do it :D Hope I don't totally mess up my phone in the process! :)

J Ervin Bates

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I also have a relatively new Samsung Galaxy S2 (bout two months old) and I have the same issue. If someone sends me a photo via MMS, it only says downloading and never shows the photos. If I have the sender resend the pic, it comes through fine as long as I am keeping the phone "awake" to watch for it. Between this problem and the occasional "for no apparent reason" shutdowns I am experiencing, I am hard pressed to find a reason to continue dealing with Samsung. There must be reasons for these problems, so why are there no solutions listed? Anyone with input???

gloriajeane

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I cant receive pictures via text messages either unless I turn on mobile data, which is dumb, I have never had this problem with any other phone,
so why when they improve new phones do they sometimes go backwards. I will think twice about buying Samsung Galaxy phones again!!
I am having to charge my mobile every day and it seems to take hours.

BambooStar

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So, even with these apps, you still need a data plan to switch on and off to receive pictures? Is there any way to get picture messages through just messaging only? Or wifi? Because I can send pictures on my WildfireS without any data plan at all or wifi, but my Samsung Exhibit cant.... =\

Nikki Drew

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
guys can any of you help me at all? I have a Samsung galaxy s2 also, and I ran out of storage space recently, so backed everything up and rebooted my phone, which then worked fine, I had all my space back, but then I accidentally enabled my text messages so obviously that app disappeared, so I finally found the messaging app, re enabled it again, I can receive messages but I just can't send them and I don't know why? any help would be appreciated!

BBTHoney

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I was just searching the 'net for the same issue for my Galaxy5. First thing I checked was that Mobile Data on "ON", and it was. Totally stumped, as I always get pictures on it. Only has happened less than a handful of times before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21