Wifi Automatically Turning On?

faithofgod

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy SII automatically turns on the wifi when not requested. I have to have it forget the wifi network otherwise it constantly reenables wifi when I have turned it off. Has anyone had this problem and is there a fix for it?

Thanks in advance!

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I use Wi-Fi Manager from the Market. It has a nice little toggle widget that allows me to disable or activate wi-fi. It saves me from having to go into settings. I hope this helps.

Reactions: faithofgod

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I hit that widget whenever I leave the house so it won't try to connect to every wi-fi network on the road. I hate that:) This little widget works well for me and I like that I can see the address of the network I'm connected to, along with the name and strength. It's nice looking too. Let us know if it works for you:)

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I use Wi-Fi Manager from the Market. It has a nice little toggle widget that allows me to disable or activate wi-fi. It saves me from having to go into settings. I hope this helps.

Do you not have a pull-down menu with the wifi toggle button? I am able to just swipe down from the home menu and turn on/off wifi and other settings.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the pull-down is part of the OS, but I like to see the address I'm connected to and Wi-fi Manager allows me to easily save my most used wi-fi networks and select between them. I can choose the strongest connection that way. The pull-down works fine. I just like the other options available in the widget and find it more convenient, for me anyway:)

gsrrr

Derp
Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the pull-down is part of the OS, but I like to see the address I'm connected to and Wi-fi Manager allows me to easily save my most used wi-fi networks and select between them. I can choose the strongest connection that way. The pull-down works fine. I just like the other options available in the widget and find it more convenient, for me anyway:)

Ahh I see, I was just curious/ wondering if you had a different ROM or something that did not have the pull down menu.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You toggled wifi off on the widget and it turned itself back on anyway? What were you doing when this happened? Were you at home near your own network or travelling?

In the system settings under Wireless and Network> Wi-Fi settings, make sure Auto connect isn't selected.

<edit> After you make sure Auto connect isn't selected, do a soft reset of your phone. Turn it off with the power button. After it's off, remove the battery and leave it out for at least 30 seconds. Start the phone again. Toggle wifi off and see if it stays off.

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
If wifi is still connecting, then it could be an app you downloaded that's turning it on. Once wifi is disabled and Hotspot auto connect is disabled, there is no way I know of for wifi to connect unless an app is turning it on (There is an app that allows you to schedule when wifi is enabled and disabled. Did you download anything like that?) or, your wifi sleep policy is set to "never" or "never when plugged in".

If you didn't download an app to schedule when wi-fi is enabled and disabled, Go to settings> Wireless and Network> Wi-Fi settings> hit the setting capacitive button and touch advanced> Wi-Fi sleep policy. Set it to sleep "When screen turns off" if it's not already selected.

Let us know if that fixes the problem.

faithofgod

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Tunie. Unfortunately none of this fixed the problem. Even if I do not have any wifi networks remembered it will turn itself on. It does not matter that I have it turned off. I am always getting a good signal from AT&T, so it is not trying to compensate for that. It is the strangest thing. I am going to try wiping it and starting over from scratch.

Lori

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I strongly believe that Sprint itself is turning WiFi on via 3G to display available updates and pull application use data and browsing history from your phone without using their own network bandwidth. I really hate this. I am hoping that if I root my Galaxy 3 with OS 4.0.4 I will be able to keep WiFi off until I want it. The fact that WiFi also automatically enables when you plug it in to charge is not a feature, but a bug.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
There is an AT&T app that was doing this to me — I believe it is AT&T Smart Wi-Fi. It's set up to sense whether there is a Wi-Fi network available and then attempt to connect the phone to it. It's an optional app, so it can be uninstalled easily.

Gardoglee

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
This seems to be happening to me for the past several months, first on my Samsung Epic, and now on my new Motorola Photon Q. The trade press indicated a while back that the manufacturers were going to add this as part of the OS as a way to offload some traffic, basically switching over to any hotspot you happen to be near which is in your list. It is a real pain, since it empties your battery. As an example, when I am home I sometimes connect my phone to my own AP, so of course my AP is in my list. When I am not doing data ops with my phone, I don't want the phone connected to WiFi. However, since about February, 2012, every time I get near my home AP, the WiFi turns itself on. It sucks. Does anyone know how to defeat this "feature"?

CheeseyChester

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I have Sprint and mine just started doing this today and luckily I remembered that this morning i got a popup on my phone and it said something about wifi, i ack without really reading it. Apparently I agreed to turn on Connections optimizer and this allows it to decide which connection is best for your phone at any given time.

settings>More>Mobile Networks>Connections optimizer>uncheck the box (mine says "Sprint Connections Optimizer"

hope this helps someone else.

mcast037

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!
i have the galaxy SII and i got the same message a couple of days ago. i thought that it was a simple update but i did read the wi-fi thing. i did not pay attention to it but it kills soo much batt wehn its trying to connect to everything it sees. its helped a heap thanx!! lol :D