ATT Samsung Galaxy S2 bricked

LucasBrown87

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've already tried the steps for unbricking that were listed in the other thread and my phone still isn't working. Here's what I've done so far:

I downloaded the Odin3v1.85 software, put my phone in download mode, and tried to install it. The upper left hand box said fail and now my phone won't do anything except say "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again." I then downloaded the unroot program and attempted to install it, it also says fail. Can anyone help me with getting my phone back to normal/a root that will actually work? I bought the phone yesterday (12/11). This phone is the S2 Skyrocket.

Last edited:

brendonlee

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty new to installing roms but can't you just enter recovery mode and recover from there? I think it is hold volume-down & power to access recovery.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

LucasBrown87

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Already tried that. I can't make it go to recovery mode, download mode or anything. I can only get the "firmware upgrade encountered an issue..." screen. If you have any other ideas please let me know! Thanks for the help.

LucasBrown87

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've tried pretty much everything. I can still get to the page where it says "Warning!! A custom OS can cause... Volume Up: Continue, Volume Down: cancel (restart phone). But whether I press volume up or volume down it takes me to the same "firmware upgrade" page.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Please excuse the seemingly simple questions. Be aware that this list is typed from memory, so if you have better information, or a more robust list of steps, or any questions about the steps, ask first :)

PC Connectivity:
1) Did you install the correct Samsung drivers for your operating system?
2) Had your PC ever correctly identified the phone to PC USB connection?
3) Did you ever successfully transfer files between the PC and phone?

USB Cable:
4) Is your USB cable known to be good (they can go bad if treated poorly, i.e. tugged hard)?
5) If not, do you have another that you can try?

Using ODIN 101
6) Did you remember to start ODIN before you plugged the phone into the computer?
7) Do you have the correct ROM for your phone (I notice that you're talking about a Skyrocket, this is a SGSII forum, there's an ambiguity there)?
8) Is the ODIN version you have a one-click, or do you need to select files in the slots (PDA etc)?
9) If #8 is a select-files version, do you know which files go where?
10) #9, are you sure? :)

Get phone into download mode
11) Do you know how to get your phone into download mode?
12) (check for forum-readers) What does the screen look like when you get there?

Assuming that:
A) You have the correct drivers installed on your computer
B) You started ODIN with nothing plugged in
C) You have the right ROM / version of ODIN
D) You chose the right files in the right places, if needed, in ODIN
E) You got the phone into download mode,
F) and then connected it to the computer

Check Connection
13) Does ODIN recognize that something just got connected (you should see a connection indicated in the top left hand area)

ODIN options
14) What ODIN options are selected?
15) Did you change any of these, or are they all still defaults?

Give it a go
16) What happens when you press the "START" button in ODIN?

Hope this helps, if it does, consider pressing thanks, it makes me smile

AoN

Reactions: LucasBrown87

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
dmcincubus,

Rooting a phone and installing a ROM are two completely different things. ROM install was what the original poster had had problems with.

I cannot imagine keeping an un-rooted phone. Rooting is necessary to stop / remove the bloatware junk that your carrier adds to the phone.

I rooted and ROMd my captivate.

My SGSII is rooted, this time I've stuck with the stock ATT ROM, as it is more than fast enough. I have all the ATT & Samsung stuff frozen (using Titanium backup, .... which requires root).

None of this is anything to be scared of, just do your research first. Even if you don't, or make a mistake, or find a new way to brick a phone, the community here (and over at XDA) are 99.99% likely to fix your problem, all without even coming around to your house for a cup of coffee.

AoN

Last edited:

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Goes to show what I know. Which isn't much. I thought Odin software was for rooted phones. My bad.

It'd be great to get rid of this damn ap mobile app. 17 days left in my billing cycle and its used 153mb.

broiyen

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem, I can't get into download mode without the message popping up. Do i still try to revert to stock?

Chinookman

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Man glad the Sammi is wife's phone and she won't let me hot rod it but just reading about how much there is to learn...as an outsider looking in I gottah say thanks for showing what a great group of folks you all are over here....April my Torch is history...wondah what Samsung has in the wings...lol...:D

Radio79

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Im having the same problem with my ATT Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket it wont go into download mode at all I keep getting Firmware upgrade encounted an issue.Pleace select recovery mode in kies & try again

sklawz

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. This worked for me. THIS ALSO WORKS FOR SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 4G T Mobile
Here are the steps. I will provide a link at bottom for files.
Make sure you have correct Stock TAR for your phone ( SGH-I727 | SGH-I727R) Mine was SGH-T989 -Stock

Here is original link to post that helped fix problem - http://http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20311335#post20311335

If you happen to have a soft-bricked Rogers Galaxy S II or Galaxy S II Skyrocket or perhaps you only want to go back to stock state, you may follow the guide to unbricked and revert Galaxy S II device to stock state below. However as usual before you continue to the requirements and instructions you need to remember that we are not responsible if your device gets damaged by following the guide, so follow at your own risk.

Requirements:

* ODIN 1.85.
* Samsung USB drivers.
* Stock TAR for SGH-I727 | SGH-I727R. Or SGH-T989 (Link at bottom)

Instructions:

1. First step is to download the tar file onto your PC.
2. Once done, run ODIN on the PC.
3. Then, in ODIN, hit the PDA button and browse to the .tar file already downloaded. Select that file.
4. Now, check the Auto-Reboot option only. Make sure Re-Partition is unchecked. (Important!),

*** <NOTE>*** ( My Phone was Stuck on Firmware update screen no matter what i did. i could not get into download mode but this worked anyway as long as ODIN can detect your phone.) (Yellowed rectangle COM Message in ODIN shows Phone Connected, So Don't worry about getting into download mode in (Step 5).

5. After that, turn off the device and enter download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power + Home Key for a good 3 seconds.
6. Once you’ve entered download mode, (See Note Above) connect the device to the PC.
7. Last step, hit Start and wait for the process to complete. Once the process completes, the phone will reboot.

There you go! If you follow the steps correctly then now your soft-bricked Rogers Galaxy S II or Galaxy S II Skyrocket device should be unbricked and revert back to stock state. You can head directly to the forum thread at XDA-Developers posted here for updates and discussion, enjoy.
ODIN 1.85 - Odin 1.85 - Download
Samsung USB Drivers - T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip
Stock TAR for SGH-I727 | SGH-I727R. - http://k0nane.info/rom/SGH-I727-UCKJ2-k0nane.7z and http://k0nane.info/rom/SGH-I727R-UCKJ2-k0nane.7z
SHG-T989 - stock boot.img file if that's what you're looking for - SGH-T989-Stock-UVKID.tar
Let me know if this helps. Worked for me.
I tried to upload the Original Stock SHG-T989 Stock ROM but because i'm a "noob" here it wont let me so down load from link.
Please let me know if this works...Thanks.

Last edited:

Alexandra423

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: ATT Samsung Galaxy S2 bricked - easiest resolution steps

You must be sure you have an AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket; and you are stuck on a screen where you can get no further and it reads "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again"

You need to download Kies on your PC
Update it to the latest version

Your phone will not turn off
Your attempts to press and hold the volume down + power buttons will get you no where...

Remove the battery from your phone
You will see your phone serial number and model number sticker

The model number is SGH-I727
S/N is unique and alpha numeric so please make a note of it

Then return to Kies with your phone hooked up to the PC via USB... Kies and the phone will not give you clear indication that they are connected ... don't worry

Got to Tools menu in Kies and select Firmware upgrade and install

a new window pops up where you need to enter the s/n and model number of your phone. Use s/n as is on the sticker on your phone i.e. upper case letters if upper case letters used and small case if in small case and numbers

Model number is SGH-I727 as is

and select ok

ignore instructions select ok and proceed ...

You and your phone are back in business.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke