Update may have bricked wife's phone

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
My wife got the update notification today at work and downloaded it. She then attempted to let it install. According to her, the phone rebooted, and then it just sat for 30 minutes at a white screen that says "Software Update" with a bar that is completely blank.

I'm not with her, so I can't look at it myself to see if she somehow messed something up (and its quite possible that she did). Anybody have any thoughts? Do you have to do anything to make the update actually start once the phone reboots and shows the "Software Update" screen?

Phone is 100% stock by the way. Never rooted.

Edit: Oh, and after it sat there for about 30 minutes, I had her do a battery pull. But when she put the battery back in and turned it on, it just went straight back to the "Software Update" screen and sat there doing nothing.

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Had no such problem after updating mine. Have her do the battery pull and restart without the memory card if her phone has one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
It has no memory card, and I've now seen it for myself and can't get it to move past the "Software Update" screen with an empty progress bar. Guess I'll have to exchange it tomorrow.

D

da.alegre@yahoo.com

It has no memory card, and I've now seen it for myself and can't get it to move past the "Software Update" screen with an empty progress bar. Guess I'll have to exchange it tomorrow.

why doesnt it have a mem card,,, doesnt the update save to the memory card, then install from the card upon reboot. could it be that it is looking for a place to save the update.zip ?

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
why doesnt it have a mem card,,, doesnt the update save to the memory card, then install from the card upon reboot. could it be that it is looking for a place to save the update.zip ?

Not exactly sure but I believe OTA updates don't require save to memory card for updates

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site

Seems there's another thread for a bricked phone after update though quite different scenario since the other TS initially rooted to remove bloatware then reverted back to stock... Swapping for a new one obviously the best idea... Hope she has most of her data and apps backed up?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly sure but I believe OTA updates don't require save to memory card for updates

I believe the update creates a temp file on the sdcard then after download the phone reboots and applies the update then erases the temp file. This is why there is an apply update.zip option on the recovery mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Baroka

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Originally Posted by Baroka

I believe the update creates a temp file on the sdcard then after download the phone reboots and applies the update then erases the temp file. This is why there is an apply update.zip option on the recovery mode.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, didn't know that

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Well since I haven't rooted or messed with any of that stuff, I'm not familiar with Odin or how to use it. I actually went to an AT&T store today (the same one I bought the phone from about 7 weeks ago), and lo and behold, the store was gone. So I'll go to a different one later this week. Thankfully we had a backup phone.

The disappearance of the AT&T store concerns me a little bit. Especially since they are shelling out, what, like $7 billion in cash and assets to T-Mobile due to the botched merger. I have to admit, I fear for the quality of our service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49