Heavy Users and Your Battery Life?

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had my GSG2 for 3 days now. This is my 1st smart phone and I've gone app and customization crazy. I've read about rooting and may even consider that at some point. I have 70+ apps downloaded so far.

I suspect its because I've been doing heavy customization but my average battery life is calculated at 5 hours by Badass Bat Mon. I've read some people getting 14+ hrs on their SGS2. I'm using the Sakura Live Wallpaper, Go Launcher EX with Future theme. I have Bluetooth and wifi off always. Brightness setting at 15%. Screen time out is set to 2min but I always lock my phone when I'm not looking at it. I'm using task killers to close unused apps at regular intervals.

By heavy use I mean I text all day and I've been constantly using my phone and downloading apps. I work at a call center so when Im not on a call Im on my phone. Are other heavy users also getting battery drain like this? Any tips for me?

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the phone I burned through the battery as well. I had 5-6 widgets going and all kinds of other stuff going on. Since then I have pared of back my settings to where I could probably go two days without a charge if I had to. These phones use a lot of juice if you're watching videos, playing games, or using a lot of widgets. You just need to figure out your comfort level for how long you want your battery to last. I also try not to use my car charger ever. I had an employee that worked for me years ago that sold cell phone accessories. He said that car chargers if used a lot kill the battery. He loved selling car chargers because people would come back in a few months to buy new batteries as well.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've had my GSG2 for 3 days now. This is my 1st smart phone and I've gone app and customization crazy. I've read about rooting and may even consider that at some point. I have 70+ apps downloaded so far.

I suspect its because I've been doing heavy customization but my average battery life is calculated at 5 hours by Badass Bat Mon. I've read some people getting 14+ hrs on their SGS2. I'm using the Sakura Live Wallpaper, Go Launcher EX with Future theme. I have Bluetooth and wifi off always. Brightness setting at 15%. Screen time out is set to 2min but I always lock my phone when I'm not looking at it. I'm using task killers to close unused apps at regular intervals.

By heavy use I mean I text all day and I've been constantly using my phone and downloading apps. I work at a call center so when Im not on a call Im on my phone. Are other heavy users also getting battery drain like this? Any tips for me?

Have you experimented with other launchers? Supposedly Go Launcher uses more battery than others (like ADW). Also, Live wallpapers drain battery faster. If you're around Wifi, you should definitely use that, as that will save alot of battery.

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't used other launchers but im reluctant to do so since I've spent so much time customizing Go. I love the live wallpaper so I'm keeping it. I suppose ill look into the extended batteries but I most definitely need a case that fits as well.

Actually I will experiment with other launchers. Go uses up 30% of my battery.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
You might also look at how many homescreens you are running. The more screens, the greater battery drain, even if only one screen is your primary screen. As jedah mentioned, live wallpaper really eats into battery time, as do live widgets. Clock, battery widget (on screen, not notification bar), call log widget, weather widget, etc. - anything that is constantly being updated. I DO NOT want to get into a task killer discussion here, but everyone who uses Android should read this article by one of the developers of the Android operating system as to how Android opens, uses, and closes apps. Just good, basic, background info for consideration.

Another suggestion: buy yourself a second battery and a simple integrated wall charger for it, and keep it in your desk or car console (plug it in once a week to keep it up to 95%+), so you will always have access to fresh power. You can find a charger + battery, just google. Make sure you are buying a battery for the i-777, not the international i-9100. Amazon carries a package deal for both for around $22.

Angelsnecropolis

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've done some reduction and reduced my home screens to 4. I enjoy the live wallpapers (for now) so ill prob just have to suffer. I am going to get an extended battery tho. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I would also look at getting rid of the task killer app as it has been stated many times that they do more harm than good

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is an article by one of the developers of the Android operating system, discussing how Android opens/closes apps & processes. Good background info, with some links to related task killer issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge