Battery drop INSTANTLY and GPS issues

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Earlier today, I was going to go out jogging and noticed that the GPS wasn't working(Endomondo Pro and RunKeeper) so I restarted the phone. When restarting, the battery percentage dropped from the low 40's to 15%. I thought it was a fluke and restarted again with the same low battery percentage. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Also, before the 2.3.6 update, my GPS signal was strong all the time and I never had problems with the running apps. Now, it seems that I have to restart the phone(tried turning GPS off and then on, doesn't help) to get them to work. Is there something I can do to improve it?

Thanks for any help!

Adam

Wookiee

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine did the same thing the other day, before I reverted back to UCKH7 (2.3.4). If yours acts the same way as mine, your battery percentage will actually *climb* over the course of several hours before it levels out again. Mine went from 47% to 14% after a restart, then slowly climbed up into the 20s, hovering there, and then dropping again normally until the battery died.

Just let it drain all the way down and then charge it fully again and see if that helps.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Mine did the same thing the other day, before I reverted back to UCKH7 (2.3.4). If yours acts the same way as mine, your battery percentage will actually *climb* over the course of several hours before it levels out again. Mine went from 47% to 14% after a restart, then slowly climbed up into the 20s, hovering there, and then dropping again normally until the battery died.

Just let it drain all the way down and then charge it fully again and see if that helps.

That won't help. It's just a small artifact of the way our fuel gauge chipset works - High load (such as booting) immediately after a chip reset (such as the reboot) will confuse it.

Solution is to reboot when your state of charge is higher, or reboot when on external power.

No ROM or kernel will fix this - it's a hardware thing. (There might be workarounds I can look into - but honestly this doesn't bother me and so I focus on ways to not wind up down at those low charge states to begin with!)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That won't help. It's just a small artifact of the way our fuel gauge chipset works - High load (such as booting) immediately after a chip reset (such as the reboot) will confuse it.

Solution is to reboot when your state of charge is higher, or reboot when on external power.

No ROM or kernel will fix this - it's a hardware thing. (There might be workarounds I can look into - but honestly this doesn't bother me and so I focus on ways to not wind up down at those low charge states to begin with!)

Man you know a lot about the fuel gauge chipset in the Galaxy S2 class phones Entropy, which is cool because it seems rather unique to this line of devices. Still, you have to question the function, because your average phone owner is not going to know anything about their "state of charge". Hell Android veterans have seen this battery graph drop and cried foul. Seems like something Maxim needs to work on for future releases, on Android devices anyways.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital