is it possible to make the update notification go away?

ttlphotography

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys;
Long story short is i have gone thru the 2.3.6 att update once and it was a soap opera. ATT ended up replacing my phone due to the drama the last 2.3.6 update did to that phone. It went totally bonkers.

In any event, we are now on to the replacement phone and all is well running on 2.3.4 and im happy with that. Well, this morning when i powered up the phone i get the device manager message that there was an update from att for my phone. I thought, o great, here we go again. Well, im not taking the chance and going down that drama highway again. So what id like to know is if there is some way to make this repeated notification popping up that there is an update for the phone . . . .to make that stop or go away--permanently. Im not at all interested in downloading it and would like for the persistent notifications to cease if possible.

Appreciate the help.
Thanks
Tom

ttlphotography

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
as an update to this question. I talked with 3 different tech support people. 1 via phone, 2 via tech chat. there is no way to make the pop up notification go away other than going thru with the update itself.
I screwed up yesterday and turned on wifi not thinking, and that *&^% update was just waiting to download as soon as wifi was engaged.
The update downloaded to my phone, but i was given a "postpone install" option and by hitting postpone, it gives you a selection of time frames to set for a reminder to install. the longest of which is 8 hours. so ive selected that a couple times now and am debating on whether to install this update or not.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had a notification in my pull-dow n that DM is trying to connect for almost 2 weeks now. It never connects. I froze DM to stop the attempt to connect, but then my phone did start to act a little weird. I defrosted it and it's still unable to connect. I think it's because I've frozen all the bloatware on my phone. Do you think that's what's happening? I wish I could just decline the update so I don't have to see the double arrows, but I guess that's better than the alternative; actually installing the defective update.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Two ways to do this:

> Root, install Titanium Backup, and freeze "device management." Reboot.
> Root, install TiBu, delete "device management." Reboot.

Or, you can root and install a custom rom and then do the above. "My Backup Pro" will also do this, but only if you are rooted.

Last edited:

JoeSII

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Go to "Settings" and click "Applications". Then click "Running Services". Assuming you are currently getting the update notice scroll down and find "Device Management". Select "Device Management" and click "Clear Data". This should eliminate the current notification but it will come back eventually. This worked for me twice with the next notification coming a month later.

ttlphotography

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
thought about going the root direction, but just dont have the time or the confidence to do it right now. IF i mess it up, my schedule these days really doesnt allow me the time to troubleshoot and correct it nor can i be without a phone while working on that. So ive set the root option aside for now.

I actually went back to the device support and warranty center over the weekend and we did the steps mentioned by Joe SII. It seemed to work for a bit, but about 6 hours later, the notice popped up again. So while i was on that side of town, i went back and showed the guy that the pop up was back and asked why there wasnt an option for the customer to just opt out of the update. Didnt get a straight answer on that. To kinda sum up where we are, they downloaded the update on the phone so that they could see exactly what i was talking about. Did a factory reset and loaded a single app on my phone. As i told them it would, it went wonkers. That makes 2 separate SGS2's that have done that to me after installing the 2.3.6 update from ATT. So now they have that handset for "further testing" and i have my service back on an iphone 4s. I really am not sure when or if i'll see my SGS2 again honestly. The IP4s is nice, but i like the size and look of the SGS2 better. But.......not at the expense of having to either work with a non functioning phone or being continuously harrassed by some update popup message that i have no interest in the either the message or the software update. We as customers should have the option to refuse any software push on handsets that we have purchased. But thats another sermon for another time.
Guess we'll wait and see what all this "further testing" comes up with and hope that it doesnt take forever to get my phone back.
As a disclaimer, the techs did offer me another SGS2(refurb) while they "tested" the messed up one, but i declined unless they could assure me that the refurb wouldnt end up getting the update notification at some point. They couldnt, so i went with a "loaner" that wouldnt at least bother me with software update popups. The smaller screen on the IP4s is taking some effort and time to get used to tho.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I ended up delaying the upddate for 8 hours. Then I used Titanium to clear the data in the app. Then froze it. Rebooted and it's gone. Thanks for all your help! I don't want purple edges in my browser:)