So former iPhone owners, what do you miss?
11-12-2012 03:08 PM
- weird, have 3gs/4/4s
1) only time I see any slight difference in screen sharpness is zoomed all the way in on Retina, but that's useless to read at that level lol
2) I have some HD games and they look incredible vs the iphone or similar games on iphone, some I even like more like Gun Bros and Brothers In Arms 2. Just downloaded GT free HD, pretty damn cool racing game for being free.
Which apps were you using that your missing? There's usually same or similar versions on the market, if you post what you were using some may be able to point you in the right direction.
3) 4S cam is slightly better in dimmer situations, day time about the same. But both (4S and GSII) are a lot better than the 4, both in video and way crisper more detailed pics vs the overexposure and saturation of the 4. But then even on the Apple forums there are some who think the 4 cam looks better then the 4S... so guess it depends lol?
4) Accessories may be a bit limited, but haven't had any issue finding anything I needed. Last thing I bought was a car dock that has a flexible cradle (for using in various vehicles) and charges and streams music to the radio. I did have a hard time finding a nice thin case for it, ended up getting a rubber TPU case that was recommended on here but don't care for it, glossy and shows smudges and not that grippy. Need to find a nice black thin silicon/soft case like I've had for iPhones that was super grippy (some I found had a two tone color which looked kinda dumb to me lol).
5) Not really, you have this board and androidforums with it's i777 GSII board, but the best one is the AT&T I777 section on XDA-Dev, sh!tload of info and help for the i777 and the best backing of the models for ROM's and support.
Yeh def love this phone, even with having the new 4S I jailbroke for the girlfriend other day.
Your right some games look good, but like PvZ looks better for ip, and little things like icons, wallpapers, the ui in general doesn't look as good as ip.
some apps that i used a lot were nike+ (there are some on market but i have a log of all my runs on nike), LexiComp complete (grabbed it free after jailbreak)
The accessories i want would be a ihome for android with the same docking ability, nike+, mini usb input in my car. i haven't looked for this stuff in a while, might be out now
As for information, I mean stuff like maybe there's a cool new rom out, but its always for a newer phone or an older phone. there are soo many types of android phones and people make things for whatever phone they have, not always for other phones. unlike ip where everyone has the newest one and thats really the only phone they make tweaks/theme whatever for.
anyways, like i said, i love the gs2. more things i like than i dont like. thanks for the reply!02-10-2012 04:04 PM
- As far as photos go, I have taken several shots of the same thing my wife shoots and her ip4 always come out better, 1080p video too. Hmmm you may have a faulty GS2, some were shipped with faulty cameras. B/c the GS2 and 4S cams are a lot better then the 4, I still have my 4 and it was good for it's time but it's pictures aren't near as detailed and overexposed, and no 1080p since it only records in 720 so not sure what you meant there? Even people on the Mac boards put pic comparisons up showing how much nicer the GS2 and 4s cameras are over the 4. Instead of tapping the screen, did you try holding the cam button and then release to snap a pic as it will autofocus and adjust the cam settings? But you may want to check into replacement if the 4 is taking better pics since there were faulty cams that were shipped in some units
Your right some games look good, but like PvZ looks better for ip, and little things like icons, wallpapers, the ui in general doesn't look as good as ip. I'm running Go Launcher EX with custom icons from various themes, icons are sharp as hell looking now plus you get a nice scrolling dock. I'm using a mix of icons from different themes (Windows 7, Blue neon, Blue Planet, Honeycomb. Plenty of HD wallpapers too, ones I have are just as sharp as on the retina. I used Picspeed and Best HD wallpapers and a few others from online. I actually love the UI, on iPhone all the UI is is switch left or right but not sure what you meant but looks there as there's nothing to do but flip left or right or click on the iphone. I love the app drawer on the GS2, so that way you don't have icons all over the place like on iOS and can choose what you want on the home screens. I love not having that ugly P for Pandora like on Android or iOS lol, though trying to find one for Youmail as I don't like that stock one either
some apps that i used a lot were nike+ (there are some on market but i have a log of all my runs on nike), LexiComp complete (grabbed it free after jailbreak)Yeh I run a lot and the gym, but never used nike+ or anything like that. Found this though, hope it helps Nike+ GPS Alternatives for Android - AlternativeTo.net
The accessories i want would be a ihome for android with the same docking ability, nike+, mini usb input in my car. i haven't looked for this stuff in a while, might be out nowYeh docking abilities are definitely in favor of iPhones Especially in stores. But there's still a lot, we get a lot of stuff on Amazon cheap anyway with our Prime account, and they have a bunch of docking stuff, have the Phillips one and really like it, have the iHome as well. Here's a quiick search on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=android+dock&x=0&y=0 . There's a thing called dockboss I think that connects Androids to the iHome dock. Mini USB input adapters on Amazon as well
As for information, I mean stuff like maybe there's a cool new rom out, but its always for a newer phone or an older phone. there are soo many types of android phones and people make things for whatever phone they have, not always for other phones. unlike ip where everyone has the newest one and thats really the only phone they make tweaks/theme whatever for. You need to go to I777 section on XDA AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777 - xda-developers , pry the best source of info for the i777 version, and the phone has about the best backing for support and ROM's right now from dev's. .
anyways, like i said, i love the gs2. more things i like than i dont like. thanks for the reply!02-11-2012 12:09 PM
- I miss only a few things from my iPhone 4 but they aren't deal breakers for Android.
1. The battery life of the iPhone4. I could surf the net, play games, check email, etc all day and have 20-30% left at the end of the day. I just have a few charge cables with me at work and home to keep my SGS2 going.
2. The accessories. Being able to go into any store and find cases that fit the phone(and a wide variety too), cables, screen protectors, etc.
3. Minor issue but being able to plug my phone into my car stereo through the USB cable. I could listen to music and charge the phone from one port. It's no big deal but now I plug into the aux port and charge the phone with a separate cable. Does anyone know of a way to play music from the USB port on our phones(hello ICS.... update option?)?
Ohter than that, I love the Gmail app, the widgets, how much i can customize the phone and make it MINE and not have the same screen layout as every other phone. It will take a larger bulletproof screen, open source system, removable battery back(another feature I LOVE after having two iPhone batteries croak) and a lot more for me to go back to iPhone.02-14-2012 11:14 AM
- 02-14-2012 02:11 PM
- Several minor things all combined together that make the SGS2 a lesser experience to my iPhone 4 and why I returned the SGS2.
First let me say that the phone itself was great, the screen size was awesome, it was fast and did everything I need a phone to do. All the apps I use regularly were available and the customization and ability to change almost anything without the need to root/jailbreak is great. I really like the phone and Android, however Apple with it's closed ecosystem and standardization really does work in the case of the iPhone.
Also let me say I didn't just jump blind into the SGS2 I spend about 2 weeks researching phones and then I even took a Xoom tablet (yes not a phone but Android) and made sure my apps were there and that I wasn't making a huge mistake switching. Lastly I spend hours googling and trying to find ways to improve the experience so I didn't just give up I tried to make it work.
Here is just a random list of issues that when taken all together made the experience less than that of the iPhone. I wasn't willing to have to compromise this much to make things work, the experience had to be at least that of the iPhone or better to justify staying with the SGS2.
- Headphone issues, or specifically the lack of inline controls. Sure very minor but once your used to being able to control your music and specifically volume without having to take the device out of your pocket you get spoiled.
- Screen resolution. Big is great, big is amazing, but resolution is also important. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it did but it really did.
- Battery life. The SGS2 is supposed to have great battery life and it still was awful compared to the iP4, I was down to 40% after a day of work and 20% by the time I went to bed. The iP4 would be at 50-60% before going to bed.
- True Silent Mode. Yep, the little hardware switch enabling system mute with the exception of alarms on the iP4 is a must. Enabling "silent mode" on the SGS2 silences rings and announcements but it dosent silence games or anything else.
- Bluetooth audio. I have an Alpine car stereo, SGS2 synced up better than the iP4 actually but... Playing music all it would show was "BT Audio Paused" when it was clearly playing music.
- Navigation. First I understand it's in beta but I use my iP4 for GPS regularly, I bought the Navigon app for this due to having downloaded maps. Ok saying that I tired Google turn by turn navigation, it took 5 minutes to load the map, then it was slow to respond and the voice was crap. Secondly with music streaming and TbT Nav going, once I reached my destination and stopped TbT the music started to studder, badly, and wouldn't stop until I killed the music player.
The last use case did it for me. I figured that I would have to buy the Navigon app for Android at a minimum and decided that why put up with all these little issues when I could simply return the SGS2 and have everything work as I was used to having everything work OOTB without having to tweak anything?
Oh and I've had AT&T since before it was AT&T the second time so I've been around a while. AT&T is HORRIBLE with updates and while ICS my solve many or all of the problems I was having I'm unwilling to wait a millenia for AT&T to decide to roll out the update. Sure I could have rooted and upgraded to ICS but again, why go to all the trouble to make the experience potentially as good or maybe only partially as good as the iP4 when I already know how good it can be?
Let me finish by saying that if I had gone from my Blackjack 1 to an Android device and never experienced an iPhone I would not have any complaints because Android is amazing, it's just not as polished and perfected of a user experience as iOS yet. I will however be royally pissed if the iP5 doesn't have a much larger screen, that is an absolute must at this point and one of the major downsides to the iPhone today.02-23-2012 09:35 AM
- [*]Navigation. First I understand it's in beta but I use my iP4 for GPS regularly, I bought the Navigon app for this due to having downloaded maps. Ok saying that I tired Google turn by turn navigation, it took 5 minutes to load the map, then it was slow to respond and the voice was crap. Secondly with music streaming and TbT Nav going, once I reached my destination and stopped TbT the music started to studder, badly, and wouldn't stop until I killed the music player.02-23-2012 05:10 PM
- I am not sure why everyone is saying battery life is bad? I have primarily used Android over the past year or so. I did decide about 6 months ago to pick up an Iphone 4 just to see what all the fuss was about. The battery life on my SGS2 is just as good if not better than it was on the Iphone 4. If actively using the Iphone throughout the day, there is no way its still at 60 percent when you are going to sleep(Providing your day is a normal 6am-10pm type deal). I can definitely see the appeal of the Iphone it "just works". If you arent particular with how things look or having little to no control over your device than the Iphone is great. But to me it was like stepping back in time.02-28-2012 11:02 AM
- Looking for some advice. I recently ditched the Captivate for an iPhone 4S. I have mixed feelings about it so far. I love the screen (I have really small hands to the 3.5" doesn't bother me at all), the battery life is excellent so far (15 hours, light texting, facebook/twitter, and 1-2 calls, still at 75%), and it seems to just work *knock on wood. And this thing is FAST. If I keep it, I'll invest in AppleCare so hardware and software issues are covered through my whole contract period.
I do, however, really miss the Android notification system (I barely use Apple's notification center - you can't even tell you have a notification waiting unless you saw the banner pop up) and customization. I am debating returning this for the GS2, but only if it is running 2.3.4. On my Captivate, I seemed to have one random bug, a software updated would fix that, but create another one somewhere else. I got fed up with it so switched (I'm not into rooting or anything). But everyone here seems to love the GS2 as long as it's not running the 2.3.6 update. But I'm also hesitant because of the weird transition Android is in now between GB and ICS. I think I'd rather wait for newer phones running ICS out of the box.
Am I crazy for giving up power and customizability for assurance that if I have a problem, I can just bring it in a store and they'll fix it? Thanks for any advice.02-28-2012 03:12 PM
- I would agree that any android device not running ICS out of the box should avoid an upgrade to ICS at all costs. I hope ICS isn't the start of a major downfall with the Android OS in general, but something is going on with it that is inherently a a bad thing. I will keep 2.3.4 on my S2...works fine & I see no reason to introduce an aggravation03-18-2012 09:54 PM
- What do I miss?
-Tap top of screen to scroll up.
-Consistently being able to use Bluetooth with truck.
-A physical button for silent mode(silences notifications also).
-STABILITY (so tired of random reboots and locking up on GS2)
I also like a lot about the GS2. I may go back to iPhone5 if they increase the screen size(4.3in) and iOS6 has some major improvements. Widgets and live wallpapers would be nice.03-21-2012 08:49 AM
Sent from my GS2.03-24-2012 10:52 AM
On the flipside, my wife was just having fits about her android based phone - she is of the crowd that feels a phone is an appliance and should act like one. No need or desire to customize and that it should always work and never lock up on anything ever, so I moved her back to an Iphone 4 and she is perfectly happy, while with her android phone hated it other than the look. It is all about expectations and preference IMO. Having owned every iphone since the original release I cannot see myself going back to an apple phone unless there are some major overhauls that I do not see happening.03-24-2012 06:37 PM
Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk. Whoops it's an iPad 2 I couldn't tell the difference.04-07-2012 01:21 PM
- I haven't used Instagram, so I don't know how awesome it is, but if you guys are looking for a simple filter app that makes photos look better, try Pudding Camera. Once again, I don't know how it is in comparison to Instagram, but my friends on Android seem totally happy with it.04-10-2012 12:42 PM
- 04-13-2012 10:24 AM
- I miss being F'*&%ed around
by apple and their restrictions
on the Iphone.
1. 20 meg download limit
over the 3g network
2. blutooth was restricted
3. cant instal flash player
4. v card only works between
5. Video calling is called facetime
to give the illusion it is a new
way to talk to communicate
by video calling.
6. must use itunes to put music
on iphone, cant just copy and
Buying the Iphone was supposed
to open my mind toward Apple,
that did not happen, it closed it
These are not glitches with
iphone, unless you jailbreak
the phone, they are permanent
The thing I dont understand is
people accept these restrictions
even I.T Tech heads.
Never ever again Apple.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums05-29-2012 07:14 AM
- To be brutally honest, I miss not having to wait 6+ months for an official update vs. IOS updates being available the day it's released.
Basically I hate the fragmentation of the Android platform altogether. I like everything else, but waiting for Samsung, and then AT&T, to finally push an update that's already almost out of date (Jellybean is now coming down the pike, already) is just freaking ridiculous.06-01-2012 03:50 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S2
- AT&T Galaxy S II
So former iPhone owners, what do you miss?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD