Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So former iPhone owners, what do you miss?

LIke the title says what do you miss from your iPhone? What makes you not want to go back?

Thanks all.

I don't miss anything about the iPhone.. I have an ipad so I still have access to the iOS apps.. I'm loving my Epic Touch and this huge, beautiful screen

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    failedreality likes this.

Default Re: So former iPhone owners, what do you miss?

Would it be easier, with all apple laptops and iPads, yes. But the Gnex is too damn good to go back. That and the fact that apple as a company is pissing me off regarding all the lawsuits. Makes it hard to support a company like that.

Nothing!

Biggest thing I missed were notifications from ESPN Scorecenter which was just added to the Android version of the app today! I'm good now

Nothing.. I am soo glad I moved away from the apple idea. Finally enjoying my phone instead of waiting on jail-breakable IOS releases..

I miss shortcuts... ie.. typing brb and it inputs 'Be right back'. I haven't found anything like it YET in Android. Have a Galaxy 2S and will not go back to ios.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladyc0524 View Post
    I don't miss anything about the iPhone.. I have an ipad so I still have access to the iOS apps.. I'm loving my Epic Touch and this huge, beautiful screen

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    I feel the same way as you, don't really miss anything form my iPhone (5 year user). Although I don't know how I would feel if I didn't have an iPad because I still use it daily.

Honestly there isn't THAT much difference between Android phones and iPhones. They're both great, and they both work very well. The biggest difference to me is the screen-size, and that's a huge deal for me.

I like everything on the SGS2 equally or better than I did on my iPhone, so I don't miss anything.

That being said, if there's a 4.3" iPhone when I can upgrade next, I may give it another shot.

Really nothing, except for the simple clean visual voicemail on at&t iPhones, I've tried a couple now and though Youmail was having weird lag issues seems to be ok now. Otherwise I still have my 3GS jailbroken and 4, and the gf has a 4S from work so if need be I an still use them for games (thanks to free app a day I pry have $200 worth of awesome games for free over the last year or so). But I love the GS2, and she uses her Kindle Fire more for games then her 4S lol.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I didn't think about vm. How is it handled on Android? Do you have to call into your vm box or does it show up similar to iPhone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thinguy View Post
    I didn't think about vm. How is it handled on Android? Do you have to call into your vm box or does it show up similar to iPhone?

Thanks
    Kind of a pain in the ***, I had to call AT&T and have them reactivate voicemail system since everything is erased in their system when you leave the iPhone, redo the message, only to find out that visual voicemail isn't on the phone. So I tried some others like Google Voice etc, ended up sticking with Youmail. But I've had many times where VVM has a huge lag between a call and when the message comes through, which never happened on the iPhone. And the iPhone VVM just looks simpler and cleaner to use.

So you can either click the app to open, or drop down the notification bar and click the message to go directly to it in VVM mode.

AT&T made it only for the iPhone, wish they would port their VVM to Android.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ugh. That sucks I hate having to dial into vm, etc. Seems so 20th century....

I use my phone for work so the delay and sending my vm to youmail's servers doesn't sound good.

ROM
    UnNamed ROM 2.2.1

I definitely miss visual voicemail. Honestly, I can't believe no one else has this. I also miss the battery life. I hear lots of Android users say that it sucks that the iPhone doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. It just doesn't need one. I had to actually TRY to run that battery out.

I don't miss much about the ecosystem as I still have my iPad. But those are my two biggest "wish you were here"s from the iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by thinguy View Post
    ugh. That sucks I hate having to dial into vm, etc. Seems so 20th century....

I use my phone for work so the delay and sending my vm to youmail's servers doesn't sound good.
    well you don't really dial in, just have to call at&t and them reactivate vm to the account. Then when setup, you can use apps like Youmail or Google Voice etc. So if somebody leaves you a message, it'll be visually setup like iPhones VVM. I just preferred the look of the iPhones VVM, and never had any lag issues with it (time between a call and msg) like ones I've used on Android. Though last couple days Youmail has been fine whereas before sometimes a msg wouldn't show for 30-60+ minutes. So it works similar, someone leaves you a message, you get notification and can go to the VVM to check it out.

here's the app on home-screen and in it

Quote Originally Posted by mclifford82 View Post
    I definitely miss visual voicemail. Honestly, I can't believe no one else has this. I also miss the battery life. I hear lots of Android users say that it sucks that the iPhone doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. It just doesn't need one. I had to actually TRY to run that battery out.

I don't miss much about the ecosystem as I still have my iPad. But those are my two biggest "wish you were here"s from the iPhone 4.
    Well there is VVM like I posted above, you have to download the app(s) (whichever you choose) and set it up though, whereas it just comes with the iPhone.

But your running uNnamed and still have poor battery life? My GS2 isn't rom'd yet and it's battery life is better then our 3GS and little better then 4S, pretty close to our 4 in actual use.

All I miss is the facetime automatic integration. Didn't need an app. But I have an ipad2 so its still right there. Only way I would consider going back is if they upped the screen size.

Sent from my...

ROM
    UnNamed ROM 2.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by surf1 View Post
    Well there is VVM like I posted above, you have to download the app(s) (whichever you choose) and set it up though, whereas it just comes with the iPhone.

But your running uNnamed and still have poor battery life? My GS2 isn't rom'd yet and it's battery life is better then our 3GS and little better then 4S, pretty close to our 4 in actual use.
    That app looks slick, I'll have to grab it. Thanks!

And yeah, even on UnNamed I'm still having some battery issues. I really dislike it, as I can feel the battery life just draining away while it sits next to me on my desk doing nothing.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I dont miss anything.....iPhone in hand ha ha

I miss being able to double press/click the home button and bring up the iPod controls when the phone is locked. Also miss the ability to listen to video podcasts when the screen is locked using the same method. Other than that, I am happy with the GS2.

The Trainyard game. That's it.

- LastApp, minimized my keystrokes and saved time. multiple clicks & swipes on the android.
    - biteSMS, the quickreply notification with the pulldown viewer saved so much time. must goto SMS app and hit back to view mssgs full page.
    - scroll to top with a statusbar tap. saved time.
    - consistent connection, my android has no connection to data about 1 out of every 2 or 3 times and makes you wait for it to time out. on g-search, browser, and market.
    - cheap apps. why are android apps 2 or 3 times more expensive?
    - user-defined source control at the market.
    - pinch gesture to remove all bg apps and clear mem.
    - pull to refresh.

i can go on. if anyone has any suggestions of how to improve my experience here, please suggest. i'm about to dump this new phone. constant headaches and not at all usable like my 3GS, which i find really crazy since i have this SGS2 flying, but it just doesn't return my investment (all the work on setting up the system). specs below. thanks.

SGS2 I777
    overclocked to 1.6 & gpu lock 267
    Android 2.3.6
    Baseband UCKK6
    Kernal 2.6.35.7 (Entropy's latest)
    UnNamed 2.2.1
    Quadrant 4293
    AnTuTu 6458

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    ROM

i went from BlackBerry Bold Touch to iPhone 4S then i got a Samsung Galaxy S II... Well i wont say that my past phones were bad, all of them has them good pros/cons.

But if i had to choose a phone that i would keep. That would be the Galaxy S II. It has way more options, customization and ease of use.

I know that not all iOS apps are available for the Android Market. But in my case i cant find of any app that i would miss and that i couldnt live without. (Instagram?, CloudApp?, etc.)

I can openly recommend to get a Galaxy S II, the battery duration, is way better than the iPhone's. Besides you can swap the battery if you run out. better to swap battery instead of having a bulky case with external battery (iPhone).

Siri? Well, i had a hard time making her understand me. "Call Magda" -"Calling Marla iPhone"...

I could keep talking but i dont want to bore all.

Nothing. No more Paying out the wazoo for music/ apps!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

ROM
    UnNamed

I had a new iphone each year since 3g and last year i went with att gs2.

1. i miss the iphone "retina display", gs2 screen is nice but not as sharp for sure. but i love the gs2 screen size.
    2. i miss the app store, there are several apps that i used daily that i dont have anymore. HD games on gs2 still look like crap.
    3. the iph4 camera/video is much better than gs2
    4. accessories are limited for gs2 still, after about a year on the market
    5. there are too many android devices, its sometimes hard to get answers or even software for YOUR device.

anyways, i love my gs2, and prolly wont go back.

Quote Originally Posted by niannello View Post
    I had a new iphone each year since 3g and last year i went with att gs2.

1. i miss the iphone "retina display", gs2 screen is nice but not as sharp for sure. but i love the gs2 screen size.
    2. i miss the app store, there are several apps that i used daily that i dont have anymore. HD games on gs2 still look like crap.
    3. the iph4 camera/video is much better than gs2
    4. accessories are limited for gs2 still, after about a year on the market
    5. there are too many android devices, its sometimes hard to get answers or even software for YOUR device.

anyways, i love my gs2, and prolly wont go back.
    weird, have 3gs/4/4s

1) only time I see any slight difference in screen sharpness is zoomed all the way in on Retina, but that's useless to read at that level lol
    2) I have some HD games and they look incredible vs the iphone or similar games on iphone, some I even like more like Gun Bros and Brothers In Arms 2. Just downloaded GT free HD, pretty damn cool racing game for being free.

Which apps were you using that your missing? There's usually same or similar versions on the market, if you post what you were using some may be able to point you in the right direction.

3) 4S cam is slightly better in dimmer situations, day time about the same. But both (4S and GSII) are a lot better than the 4, both in video and way crisper more detailed pics vs the overexposure and saturation of the 4. But then even on the Apple forums there are some who think the 4 cam looks better then the 4S... so guess it depends lol?

4) Accessories may be a bit limited, but haven't had any issue finding anything I needed. Last thing I bought was a car dock that has a flexible cradle (for using in various vehicles) and charges and streams music to the radio. I did have a hard time finding a nice thin case for it, ended up getting a rubber TPU case that was recommended on here but don't care for it, glossy and shows smudges and not that grippy. Need to find a nice black thin silicon/soft case like I've had for iPhones that was super grippy (some I found had a two tone color which looked kinda dumb to me lol).

5) Not really, you have this board and androidforums with it's i777 GSII board, but the best one is the AT&T I777 section on XDA-Dev, sh!tload of info and help for the i777 and the best backing of the models for ROMs and support.

Yeh def love this phone, even with having the new 4S I jailbroke for the girlfriend other day.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast