1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.3

Default Is ics update going to fix issue with 2.3.6?

Do you guys think 4.0 will fix this battery issue with 2.3.6? I really hope they push this update soon. Has anyone herd any thing?
    Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/CleanROM 1.5
    Kindle Fire HD 7/Rooted/Stock ROM
    Thanked by:
    j510 
    Banned

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Is ics update going to fix issue with 2.3.6?

I installed the ICS leak and it still has a good many issues to be worked out, so not sure how soon you will see it. There are some pretty stable ROMs based off of ICS for the international versions. I am running one now and couldn't be happier. Then again I came from 2.3.4 and it was very solid.
    Thanked by:

Does anyone know if ICS will use the capacitive keys or will it use on-screen keys?

Quote Originally Posted by enjoylife949 View Post
    Does anyone know if ICS will use the capacitive keys or will it use on-screen keys?
    it will use capacitive if your phone has em.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webbie2 View Post
    Do you guys think 4.0 will fix this battery issue with 2.3.6? I really hope they push this update soon. Has anyone herd any thing?
    It's starting to look like the AT&T ICS updates may have the same bug that was present in UCKK6. (Leaks started showing up two weeks ago - and so far the leaks are awful compared to international firmware - typical AT&T.)

Thank AT&T for this one - Samsung fixed the problem ages ago for international devices with XWKL1 - in fact Samsung was pushing that update to international devices before AT&T even started pushing UCKK6 to customers!

I9100 ICS firmwares (such as XXLPQ and XWLP2) do not have this problem either.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.3

So the next update is going to have the same issue? It sucks that im stuck for the next 2 years
    Last edited by webbie2; 04-12-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

I haven't seen if UCLD3 fixes the issue - but a lot of people were complaining about it with UCLC5.

International firmware bases don't have these problems... It's only people that stick with official AT&T releases that get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
    I haven't seen if UCLD3 fixes the issue - but a lot of people were complaining about it with UCLC5.

International firmware bases don't have these problems... It's only people that stick with official AT&T releases that get screwed.
    Any suggestions on which ROM is stable enough for i777 right now? I noticed you mentioned at XDA forum that you're mostly using CM9 right now. Any pros and cons for CM9? Is it necessary to "wipe" the phone for any future CM9 updates. I am kind of new regarding custom ROM.

TIA.

ROM
    AOKP'ing it.

Quote Originally Posted by wing2012 View Post
    Any suggestions on which ROM is stable enough for i777 right now? I noticed you mentioned at XDA forum that you're mostly using CM9 right now. Any pros and cons for CM9? Is it necessary to "wipe" the phone for any future CM9 updates. I am kind of new regarding custom ROM.

TIA.
    CM9 and AOKP Build 32 are both excellent. More and more progress is being made with both of these and they're only getting better. Usually, when updating, a simple dalvik and cache wipe are all that's necessary. However, if you're switching from one to the other, you'll need to do a full data wipe.

What is the specific complaint w/ UCPLC5?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.3

Battery drain.

I've been using UCLD3 for a good portion of the week now and it's probably the best battery life I have experienced on this phone! I am actually able to go 2-3 days without a charge. If I leave it overnight, drain is about 5-10%. With the older ICS leaks and 2.3.6, that was defniitely not possible. Before you get too excited, I think a bug that is causing this prolonged battery life is that Wifi fails to reconnect on wake so I'm constantly connected to 3g. Altho a simple wifi on/off reset will fix this. (I have my Wifi set to turn off when not charging) For the most part, this leak is pretty solid.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.3

I don't know what the problem is. I probally only get 8hours max if it have my wife on. If I turn the wifi off I probally get like 2 days on standby. I just hope they fix the issue with the official update.

Quote Originally Posted by webbie2 View Post
    I probally only get 8hours max if it have my wife on.
    Dont complain, I only get about 20 min, when my wife is "on".

My battery stats don't indicate severe drain. I get a full day of normal use...2G, HSPA+, Wi-Fi...?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.3

I know there is an issue. If i turn off my wifi before I go to bed it drains like 10% maybe by the morning. If I keep the wifi on and go to bed its dead when I wake up. I have no notifications on.

Yeah, I turned wifi off for a day or two and got great battery life. Unfortunately, my data started getting out of hand, so I can't do that for very long. Maybe I can do a blend of wifi and 3g through the day to get me until night time.

The only thing that is giving me hope is an ICS update. If it turns out ICS has the same issue I'll be forced to make my first jump into custom roms.

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Nightlies

Not sure if it helps, but I've been running CM9 for the past month on my i777, and battery life has been leaps and bounds better than when I ran 2.3.6. I can actually go a couple days with light usage without charging my phone, with Wi-Fi on all day. I'm loving it, I don't even think I'm going to flash to AT&T's ICS update, provided it ever even comes out. It's a little ridiculous that AT&T has taken so long to push a new update to fix the Wi-Fi battery drain issues, ICS or not.

Edit: @Wing2012, no, it's not necessary to do a full wipe when installing new CM9 nightlies provided you're already running CM9. If you're flashing from another rom and/or stock, then yes, a full wipe is necessary. If you download RomManager Premium, you can automatically check for updates, download, and it'll give you the option upon trying to install it to full wipe, cache + data wipe, or dalvik cache wipe. I just wipe dalvik and install, no issues.
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Stock Android 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by Entrical View Post
    Not sure if it helps, but I've been running CM9 for the past month on my i777, and battery life has been leaps and bounds better than when I ran 2.3.6. I can actually go a couple days with light usage without charging my phone, with Wi-Fi on all day. I'm loving it, I don't even think I'm going to flash to AT&T's ICS update, provided it ever even comes out. It's a little ridiculous that AT&T has taken so long to push a new update to fix the Wi-Fi battery drain issues, ICS or not.

Edit: @Wing2012, no, it's not necessary to do a full wipe when installing new CM9 nightlies provided you're already running CM9. If you're flashing from another rom and/or stock, then yes, a full wipe is necessary. If you download RomManager Premium, you can automatically check for updates, download, and it'll give you the option upon trying to install it to full wipe, cache + data wipe, or dalvik cache wipe. I just wipe dalvik and install, no issues.
    Thank you, I really really want to root my phone but im a novice and i'm so afraid to brick my phone. at this point I wish I had the money to just get a galaxy nexus with 4.0.4 stock and that would be amazing. If i was to root any good sites or options where I can do this step by step. you can private message me for my email and we can go from there if your interested.

O and I only had this phone for like 3 month. 1st android and im addicted!!

Follow the directions here: . It took about 10 minutes to root my phone and install a kernel with CWM.

Make sure you read and understand all the directions before you start.