1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting: Detailed Instructions pls?

Hello,

I got sick of waiting for ICS and I've decided to root my phone. I have downloaded all the necessary components (I think). I'm currently running Gingerbread 2.3.6. I've tried looking for detailed instructions but couldn't find anything. I went to the rooting sticky but it doesn't really tell you what to do with each program or component. Normally, I would tinker around and figure out how things work but I don't want to do that with this since there's the risk of bricking the phone. I noticed superoneclick states 2.3.3. I'm hoping this is just the version of the SOC program and not the version is works for on android. I recall reading about needing a different kernel version? Am I missing that?

If someone here doesn't want to post more detailed instructions it would be helpful just to point me to a thread that may already have them but i missed. Your help is appreciated.

I have downloaded:
    UCKK6-SHOstockV1.8noWipe
    Odin3 v1.82
    SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse
    Codework_CWM
    Latest version of Kies air

ROM
    ShoStock2 V1.3

Default Re: Rooting: Detailed Instructions pls?

That is the most comprehensive guide I have found on the internet. Rooting is the most important step, you screw it up and you have big problems. Installing roms thereafter is as easy as dropping the zip file onto the SDcard and doing a wipe and install using CWM.

Please........PLEASE read ALL the instructions before doing something. Good luck and post feedback!
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. I'll review this info in detail.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui

Good luck! If you need any rom recommendations or help drop me a PM... I'm always on here and I've flashed several roms and I also know a bit about how they work and how to edit the system and such.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The ROM I'm looking at is the SHOstockV1.8. That is a ROM right? lol

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui

And yes it is a rom lol Right now I'm on AOKP.

Global Posts
    388 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 Nightlies

I suggest that you try CM9 nightly builds. I love it so far!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

I keep reading about the nightly cm9. New to android. Coming from blackberry and always running custom os. Waiting to root my gs2. Thanks for the feedback on both instructions and the rom.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Jonna09 View Post

That is the most comprehensive guide I have found on the internet. Rooting is the most important step, you screw it up and you have big problems. Installing roms thereafter is as easy as dropping the zip file onto the SDcard and doing a wipe and install using CWM.

Please........PLEASE read ALL the instructions before doing something. Good luck and post feedback!
    This helped greatly. It was much easier once I could SEE the step by step instructions. I ran into only one hitch. I had placed my rom on my external SD card. When I used the recovery mode to try and install the rom it wouldnt recognize my external SD card. So I had to restore the backup of my stock rom and then move the file to the phone memory and start the process again. Successful that time.

I just bought the Rom Toolbox pro version so I'm playing around with that now. I do keep seeing CM9 pop up quite often so I may use the rom manager to compare the two.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonna09 View Post

Don't use galaxys2root.com - the instructions here are unmaintained and refer to ANCIENT resources that result in a wealth of problems (For example, if you use the instructions on galaxys2root.com to root a device with UCKK6, you will break wifi.)

I strongly suggest going to XDA and spending a day searching and, most importantly *read the sticky threads*!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ShoStock2 V1.3

True, I had not thought of that.

I just assumed the OP was going to root using the instructions as is (ancient as they maybe) and not try the same procedure with the newer modems or kernels.

XDADev it is!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
    Don't use galaxys2root.com - the instructions here are unmaintained and refer to ANCIENT resources that result in a wealth of problems (For example, if you use the instructions on galaxys2root.com to root a device with UCKK6, you will break wifi.)

I strongly suggest going to XDA and spending a day searching and, most importantly *read the sticky threads*!
    I used the instructions there to figure out how to root. I used the latest versions of each of the softwares that was posted there. I've already rooted and loaded the Shostock Rom and wifi works fine. But now I'm wanting to play around with other ROMS too.

ROM
    AOKP ICS 4.0.4

I also suggest AOKP. I've been using it since it was ported and I haven't wanted to switch to any other ROMs.