Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: Ice Cream Sandwich has...

I was able to download the ICS update yesterday at about 9 am. The phone was stock unlocked and I was not rooted. I followed the kies firmware update and initaliation. Back up your data if you go this route.

To get the phone into download mode shut the phone off. next hold the volume and power buttons down at the same time. Then follow the directions on the phone it will ask you to push the up volume button. Now you are in download mode.

On the ICS update, I don't see NFC support, and my data disabler app is not working well at all, and there is plenty of AT&T bloatware.. Cellular data does not reintitalize fast as it did in 2.6. Battery seems pretty good though. I may just root and go to cm9 and be finished with AT&T firmware.
    Thanked by 2:

It was available this morning. Downloaded with no problems. Now to try to get the phone back to the way I want it.

Smile Re: Ice Cream Sandwich has...

ICS IS BACK!!! Run and download it before they take it down again!!!

Downloading now via Kies.

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

Just finished. Pretty painless process. Not noticing the lag that some are experiencing. Hoping the battery life has improved.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

I'm still getting 'Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies.' And it says I'm still on current firmware at 2.3.6.

they may be phasing it to keep from overloading servers?

I installed successfully from Kies a little while ago... working well so far.

has anyone successfully updated using a mac? still says "your device does not support updating via kies"

Quote Originally Posted by starsky94502 View Post
    has anyone successfully updated using a mac? still says "your device does not support updating via kies"
    could be something with macs? i'm trying to update on a macbook pro and i consistently get that same message, and recently kies wouldn't even recognize my phone...this process has really burned me on ever getting another android phone

Quote Originally Posted by Duality84 View Post
    could be something with macs? i'm trying to update on a macbook pro and i consistently get that same message, and recently kies wouldn't even recognize my phone...this process has really burned me on ever getting another android phone
    a few days ago i was having trouble getting it to recognize my phone as well. i switched USB ports, and then it started workings. its weird because the other USB port still works. but i guess kies wants me to use the other one. im also on a MBP

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

I just connected my G2 and am getting the prompt for the ICS update. Wish me luck. ==

For everyone trying to update on a Mac:

The problem we are all having is that the Mac version of Kies is 1.3, and you need 2.0 to update firmware. No phone can be update using Kies on a Mac.

In fact after intense amount of Googling I finally found this page: Software Upgrade Samsung If you look at the tips sections (near the bottom) it states that to update firmware you need a Windows machine.

This is complete bull.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

so I tried to update, got halfway through and encountered an error. Kies told me to use the firmware recovery tool which I have tried numerous times, but in recovery mode my phone is not being recognized. I have removed the battery, put it back in, hit the power button on my phone which is supposed to put the phone in recovery mode, and reconnected the phone to my pc. Kies tries to do the recovery but my phone is not being recognized as being connected. Anyway, what can I do at this point?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

So the update went ok. Obviously I have to re add all my folders (and apps) to the "desktop". Question...how does one go about re sizing the samsung power widget? Normally I'd have it where I'd swipe left or right for all the options. Now it's showing - all options.

Got my ICS upgrade with Kies this morning. No problems and working great. Battery life definitely improved.

Funny I thought I would be the first one to report this I'm still d/ling it right NOWWWWW so excited to see the OS in action!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by izzymyster View Post

The problem we are all having is that the Mac version of Kies is 1.3, and you need 2.0 to update firmware. No phone can be update using Kies on a Mac.

In fact after intense amount of Googling I finally found this page: Software Upgrade Samsung If you look at the tips sections (near the bottom) it states that to update firmware you need a Windows machine.

This is complete bull.
    you have got to be kidding me, that is the biggest load of crap ever...that seals it, i am never getting an android phone again
    xsinfulangel likes this.

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

you have got to be kidding me, that is the biggest load of crap ever...that seals it, i am never getting an android phone again
    This is not an android issue. This is a Samsung issue. Most phone makers do their updates over the air without having to hook up to a computer.

Bionic'd from my tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by izzymyster View Post

This is complete bull.
    guess i should head to the library then...hope i can install a program on those computers and then uninstall it....if not ill need to figure something else

Do we have to upgrade back to 2.3.6, or can we go straight from 2.3.4? And, if I am reading this right, I am going to have to download all my apps and settings again?

Uh yeah... That's not an Android problem. Kies is Samsung only. To write off Android completely based on pure Samsung software issues is just ignorant. Quit whining and buy a damn Nexus or HTC if you don't like it.
    eagle328 and dingbat005 like this.

i know i should know better than to listen to at&t store reps, but i was kind of told that i would never have issues using this phone with a mac. i'm kind of pissed. and why isn't the update over the air? if it wasn't for this employee discount i would've ditched at&t long ago..
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xsinfulangel View Post
    i know i should know better than to listen to at&t store reps, but i was kind of told that i would never have issues using this phone with a mac. i'm kind of pissed. and why isn't the update over the air? if it wasn't for this employee discount i would've ditched at&t long ago..
    The real question is why do u own a mac? Windows all the way....

Sent From A Rotary Phone
    eagle328 and dingbat005 like this.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

Here's a better example of the samsung widget I'm referring too. I can re add it , however there's no option of making it smaller (like I had before i updated to ICS).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ice Cream Sandwich has...-sc20120322-115524.png  
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast