Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Default Re: Ice Cream Sandwich has...

Just a little lag

I really hate Samsung customer service. I got the device not supported garbage and called them for help. They said the update is not out. They are full of it as always. I came here and read a little and thanks to all here now have ICS running. I had to go the download route but it went smooth about 10 minutes in all. And I thought that Motorola's MSU program was a little hard at times for some. I now know that there MSU is much better than Kies is. Thanks for everyone's help here. I mod over at Motorola's support forums and should have known to go straight here to where real people know there phones.

I got the update to work through Kies today with some trouble. When I tried the update on my home desktop, it would proceed to the point of putting the phone in "download mode" (phone screen displaying Downloading..). The phone would not reconnect to my PC and I got Notice F from Kies. I got the phone out of download mode by pressing both volume buttons and power (read that on XDA). No update to the phone had been done. After a couple attempts with the same result, I tried again on my workload laptop. Then the upgrade worked fine. Both are Windows 7.

Played with ICS a little bit, seems to work fine. Not too much seems to have changed, I guess that is partly TouchWiz.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

so I finally did the emergency recovery and got ice cream sandwich installed on my phone, but right now there is a progress bar on a black screen and it sayss Installing applications. But the bar is not filling at all so I don't know if I still have a problem or this is just the normal update process.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

It did hang in spots but they all do. I would just wait for a bit.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Carrier
    JELLY BEAN!

Hows the battery life? This will make or break me updating.

Carrier
    4.1.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TechFitGJ123 View Post

Not great compared to my UnNamed GB ROM I had before going completely bone stock ICS with this update when it first got leaked.

You know the only thing I enjoy about ICS on this phone? Fixes that stupid garbage with MMS pictures coming in as a low quality slideshow. That's about it and I've seriously had the new software for what? 4-5 days now? No worries. SGSIII soon.
    TechFitGJ likes this.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Carrier
    JELLY BEAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Statusnone View Post
    Not great compared to my UnNamed GB ROM I had before going completely bone stock ICS with this update when it first got leaked.

You know the only thing I enjoy about ICS on this phone? Fixes that stupid garbage with MMS pictures coming in as a low quality slideshow. That's about it and I've seriously had the new software for what? 4-5 days now? No worries. SGSIII soon.
    Thanks man! I'm going to stick with ShoSTOCK2 ICS ROM. The only reason i want to switch is for Swype. ShoSTOCK2 is amazing.

Carrier
    4.1.2 Stock

Thanks man! I'm going to stick with ShoSTOCK2 ICS ROM. The only reason i want to switch is for Swype. ShoSTOCK2 is amazing.
    No problem, brother. I even have OSMonitor to kill the supposed "Email and Calendar Sync Bug" task that was causing a high AOS battery %. Still only 11 hours on a single charge(I'm talking 1% battery left and down to the wire for 11 hours) and that's with minimal use. Barely any texting, 15-20 minutes on the phone tops in a perfect service area.

Stick with your ROM.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

The update process seemed to go smoothly for me, but now when it starts up it won't accept my password at the unlock screen.....

Should I be prompted to unlock with my Google account after a certain number of failed attempts? That's doesn't seem to be happening.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illini422 View Post
    The update process seemed to go smoothly for me, but now when it starts up it won't accept my password at the unlock screen.....

Should I be prompted to unlock with my Google account after a certain number of failed attempts? That's doesn't seem to be happening.
    You didnt do a data wipe before installing did you?

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Nope, no data wipe.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #113  

Quote Originally Posted by Statusnone View Post
    No problem, brother. I even have OSMonitor to kill the supposed "Email and Calendar Sync Bug" task that was causing a high AOS battery %. Still only 11 hours on a single charge(I'm talking 1% battery left and down to the wire for 11 hours) and that's with minimal use. Barely any texting, 15-20 minutes on the phone tops in a perfect service area.

Stick with your ROM.

Click to view quoted image
    Ewww... Glad I went with AOKP. Over 10 hours since I pulled the phone off the charger and it's at 66%

I just went through the update and it appeared to be fairly painless. All of my apps, pictures, files and contacts came through unscathed. I can tell a big difference in speed going from page to page so far. No lag and very smooth. I'll give an update in a few days on battery life with WI-FI always on.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Carrier

I think it was better battery life on 2.3.4
    I feel the same battery life as in 2.3.6

Quote Originally Posted by jnmnml View Post
    No ICS for me then......guess I'll stick with 2.3.4

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jnmnml View Post
    I do not have ICS yet but a co-worker installed it yesterday and he has been playing with his phone A LOT, and at one point even had the screen brightness at 100% for 3 hours, and as of this morning after more than 19 hours he was finally down to 1% battery life left. I certainly get nowhere near that on 2.3.6. He said he can tell a definite improvement in the battery.

I am hoping to get ICS installed tonight if for nothing else to fix the wifi issue.

Battery life is wayyyyy better. Its one un the afternoon and i only used the little nub on the battery icon. It usually be 1/4 gone by now

sent from my totally tubular Samsung galaxy s2 sgh-I777

Ok, just did my phone & no problems. Hard part was figuring out I had to add Kies software to my PC. After that, less then 10 min. & I got Ice Cream!

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

battery is not so good for me..

i cant install ice cream sandwich why

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Carrier
    SuperNexus 4.2.1

My battery life is about the same but ICS has only been installed since last night. I will see what happens after a few days and the build stabilizes.

I don't see any significant difference in battery life, but, then, I use Juice Defender to shut off the wifi when the screen is off just as I did with Gingerbread so I had good battery life before and still do.

The phone is smoother and faster overall so I have no real complaints.

I will disable JD and see if the battery drops like a rock as it did prior just for grins, but, as the work around is simple, I will not complain if it does
    dingbat005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawdawg View Post
    I don't see any significant difference in battery life, but, then, I use Juice Defender to shut off the wifi when the screen is off just as I did with Gingerbread so I had good battery life before and still do.

The phone is smoother and faster overall so I have no real complaints.

I will disable JD and see if the battery drops like a rock as it did prior just for grins, but, as the work around is simple, I will not complain if it does
    Okay, I turned JD off for two hours which is not long enuf for a valid test, but...

Battery dropped 4% with no use (2% per hour). Checking emails, etc. all turned off. My experience with JD in use seems to be about 1.5% drop per hour, or a bit less, under no use conditions.

Under 2.3.6, without JD in affect, it would go down a lot more when idling.

As I stated, this is not long enuf to be a truly valid test, but, it seems an improvement to me.

Carrier
    4.1.2 Stock

Basic conclusion for me is for some reason, with my Netgear router, when WiFi is on, even with no use it drains the ever living **** out of my battery. Talking like 4-5% per hour of no use whatsoever. Same scenario, but no WiFi, just regular faux 4G H+ and only 1% drain an hour.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast