Ice Cream Sandwich has...

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I cut my Android teeth on an AT&T GS II - my wife has it now. I'm interested in upgrading her to ICS, but I think I'll let it cook for a week or two before installing. I haven't seen any horror stories yet from early adopters.

I'm running ICS on a Galaxy Nexus, get my updates straight from Google. My guess is that they changed the key sequence for screen shots because the GNex doesn't have the row of capacitive keys along the bottom. The only hardware buttons on the phone are Power and the Volume rocker. So yeah, I think power+vol down is the ICS standard screen shot sequence.

Duality84

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I get a message that states that my device does not support updating software via kies. What am I doing wrong?

I'm getting the same thing..i read on another forum that someone talked to a Samsung rep regarding the update and said that last night was a test to see how the update would respond on their servers; supposedly the rep hinted that ICS update may be back up after Kies undergoes it's "maintenance" period tomorrow

Evil_Homer

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I was getting message that my device does not support updating software via Kies... but I am no longer getting that... I think that went away when I loaded the latest Kies version and/or the latest USB drivers.

Now I am getting the message that my firmware is up to date. Hopefully it will be available again soon.

AT&T describes update at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...t/error404.html?solId=KB414416&token=WgQ7pr_R

But at time of this reply, Samsung did not update page: SAMSUNG

Morjesta

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. It may be silly but seeing this is my first Android that has been updated to anything lol I'm wondering if I do a factory reset will that bring me back to 2.3.6 or 4.03?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

You should stay on ICS 4.0.3 after you Factory Reset the phone.

Reactions: Edge1978

Morjesta

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a bug, that sometimes after restarting your phone, your WiFi wont connect to any WiFi connection, it will stay on Saved, but never goes to connected.

This is fixed after restarting your phone again. *sigh*
:'(

anon(395747)

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay. After a day of use with the upgrade I've had these problems:

Application lockups
Screen not coming on while pressing the lock/power button resulting in a battery pull
No screenshot option

As far as the battery drain, it seems to be worse than 2.3.6. At least for me anyway. I noticed after pulling the battery and restarting the phone, there is a major decrease in the battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

jeffmurph004

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
From xda. I followed this to a T and after about 20 mins I was all set. Works flawlessly. :cool::cool::cool:
------------
------------
Well, first, before I realised I could do it, I downloaded the newest version of Kies because I got all kinds of errors when i did a kies software update from the older version. I had to uninstall it from my computer and install the newest one. I got it from here:
Transfer, Sync & Manage Music, Movies, Photos, Contacts and Calendars with Kies

btw, I did all of this with the phone completely stock - restored to unrooted KH7, then did OTA KK6 upgrade. NOt sure if it would matter since you will start in download mode anyway.

after completely finishing installing kies (and it took a while) i shut it down and then made sure the computer detected the phone in different modes (usb debugging on And off, and in download mode.) it will install the drivers when you connect it in each mode.

now, WITHOUT the phone connected, start the new Kies and went to the tools menu. Chose Firmware Upgrade and Initialization. It asked for the serial number and model number that I got from the sticker under the battery. Now, put the phone in download mode (either with a jig, or holding vol. up + vol down and inserting usb cable).

After you enter the serial number and model number it should say that the latest recovery version is the LE5 (the new firmware). Now, just leave the phone connected and keep clicking through with OK. It should download the firmware, and when it is finished downloading you will see the green bar moving across the phone when it is installing.

edotmiller

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
But does it return your phone to stock? delete all your stuff? Sorry if thats a dumb question. This is my first android phone, and my first attempt at updating. I followed the XDA instructions, and the firmware upgrade and initalization warns that its going to delete "all settings and data". Not worried so much about the settings, but the 'data' part makes me hesitant.

But this does appear to work to get ICS on your phone, as it says the firmware will be updated to LE5, presumably ICS. But if I'm going to delete all my stuff, or have software that was not really ready for release possibly damage my phone, I can wait a few days. Hows it running Jeff?

jeffmurph004

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
This is true, it deletes everything. I keep backups of my photos and music online, apps and contacts will restore automatically. Seems stable and quicker. It's a pleasant update and it's official. Can't speak on battery life yet but definitely some nice features. This was overdue.

chrisfam

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I followed the XDA instructions but Kies always stops downloading at exactly 69% and gives me this message: Error found in the downloaded file. Do you want to try downloading again?
Edit: Run as administrator solved the problem.

Last edited:

wakers8569

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping this would work on my SkyRocket as well, but no cigar. At least I have Kies ready now for when and if ICS becomes available. Maybe the Myan long count calendar theories are tied to this conspiracy by Google, AT&T, and Samsung. Is it possible the Myans saw this ICS event centuries ago???

michellebjohn

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had most of these issues as well. Sometimes the phone will freeze and go to a black screen for a few moments. If you hold down the home and power button it will take the screen shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

dingbat005

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
After sweating this out for a while, I just got past the 90% hangup by following the info here: xda-developers - View Single Post - I just got the official ICS Upgrade

Follow that info but basically done by using recovery mode, restarted Kies as admin. I have ICS up and running. My phone was stock, unrooted. Looks great so far.

I got this to work as well, but be warned, any system created folder will be wiped clean (IE all my side loaded nook books, all of my backups for widget locker and go launcher saved to the SD card, anything I downloaded from AmazonMP3 store that I didn't move into my own music folder, etc). Thankfully my pics were all in a folder I had created myself, so they were still there. Either backup everything to the web, or move all system folders into a self - created folder to hopefully hide them. Good luck!

Reactions: clintkirk

BillyBee124

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I followed the instructions on AC and the update went somewhat smoothly, I did want to backup my device before proceeding, which I thought KIES would allow, but after installing Kies it said that an update was available, so I went for it and prayed.. Like everyone else it took about 15 minutes and seemed to come up OK. ICS 4.0.3 was installed. The home screen looked slightly different, with the Swipe screen to unlock message at the top. Browsing the web did seem a little faster. Pretty much all my Apps ran fine if a little laggy. Had just installed Aces Spades under 2.3.6 and it was running OK, but under ICS It locked up, tried working with the vendor to see if there was a fix for it but to no avail. Think they're working on it and someday the issues will be resolved. Battery life was bad when I first loaded ICS, I have an Extended battery and it was running thru a full charge in under a day. I'll be watching to see if it gets better as it settles in. Maybe Samsung will look at this if there is an issue. So for me its wait and see.

This was my first update for an Android device, my previous smartphones had been Blackberrys and I did a few leaks,with my Bold's. For the Android Op Sys I would like to be able togo back to an older version if necessary. That had crossed my mind when the apps were a bit laggy and the battery life was draining a little too quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC