Ice Cream Sandwich has...

Duality84

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
has anyone successfully updated using a mac? still says "your device does not support updating via kies"

could be something with macs? i'm trying to update on a macbook pro and i consistently get that same message, and recently kies wouldn't even recognize my phone...this process has really burned me on ever getting another android phone

starsky94502

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
could be something with macs? i'm trying to update on a macbook pro and i consistently get that same message, and recently kies wouldn't even recognize my phone...this process has really burned me on ever getting another android phone

a few days ago i was having trouble getting it to recognize my phone as well. i switched USB ports, and then it started workings. its weird because the other USB port still works. but i guess kies wants me to use the other one. im also on a MBP

izzymyster

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
For everyone trying to update on a Mac:

The problem we are all having is that the Mac version of Kies is 1.3, and you need 2.0 to update firmware. No phone can be update using Kies on a Mac.

In fact after intense amount of Googling I finally found this page: Software Upgrade Samsung If you look at the tips sections (near the bottom) it states that to update firmware you need a Windows machine.

This is complete bull .

Badgun

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
so I tried to update, got halfway through and encountered an error. Kies told me to use the firmware recovery tool which I have tried numerous times, but in recovery mode my phone is not being recognized. I have removed the battery, put it back in, hit the power button on my phone which is supposed to put the phone in recovery mode, and reconnected the phone to my pc. Kies tries to do the recovery but my phone is not being recognized as being connected. Anyway, what can I do at this point?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Nevets68

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
So the update went ok. Obviously I have to re add all my folders (and apps) to the "desktop". Question...how does one go about re sizing the samsung power widget? Normally I'd have it where I'd swipe left or right for all the options. Now it's showing - all options.

Duality84

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

The problem we are all having is that the Mac version of Kies is 1.3, and you need 2.0 to update firmware. No phone can be update using Kies on a Mac.

In fact after intense amount of Googling I finally found this page: Software Upgrade Samsung If you look at the tips sections (near the bottom) it states that to update firmware you need a Windows machine.

This is complete bull .

you have got to be kidding me, that is the biggest load of crap ever...that seals it, i am never getting an android phone again

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
you have got to be kidding me, that is the biggest load of crap ever...that seals it, i am never getting an android phone again

This is not an android issue. This is a Samsung issue. Most phone makers do their updates over the air without having to hook up to a computer.

Bionic'd from my tapatalk.

starsky94502

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

This is complete bull .

guess i should head to the library then...hope i can install a program on those computers and then uninstall it....if not ill need to figure something else

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Do we have to upgrade back to 2.3.6, or can we go straight from 2.3.4? And, if I am reading this right, I am going to have to download all my apps and settings again?

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Uh yeah... That's not an Android problem. Kies is Samsung only. To write off Android completely based on pure Samsung software issues is just ignorant. Quit whining and buy a damn Nexus or HTC if you don't like it.

xsinfulangel

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
i know i should know better than to listen to at&t store reps, but i was kind of told that i would never have issues using this phone with a mac. i'm kind of pissed. and why isn't the update over the air? if it wasn't for this employee discount i would've ditched at&t long ago..

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
i know i should know better than to listen to at&t store reps, but i was kind of told that i would never have issues using this phone with a mac. i'm kind of pissed. and why isn't the update over the air? if it wasn't for this employee discount i would've ditched at&t long ago..

The real question is why do u own a mac? Windows all the way....

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Nevets68

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Here's a better example of the samsung widget I'm referring too. I can re add it , however there's no option of making it smaller (like I had before i updated to ICS).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel