AT&T Galaxy SII Text Notification Problem

jademan38

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded my AT&T GS2 over the weekend when the official release hit for the phone. Ever since the update I have had issues getting text notifications (sound and vibration). I have tried the stock messaging, Handcent, and GoSMS. If I reset the sound for the texts, or receive a phone call which rings normal, then I may receive a few texts with sound/vibration but then it goes away. I have factory-ed the phone already, and spoken to a Samsung rep via an AT&T rep, and they are saying the update may have been corrupted during the install (?) and that I can send in for a re-flashing. I have some knowledge of rooting / custom romming, but of course am concerned with warranty in case something doesn't go 100%. Anyone have any other ideas / suggestions / experience with this problem? Can't be without my phone for very long due to work...

Thanks in advance

No44specialk

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I am curious about this too, I am experiencing the same problem. I get the vibrating notification when in "silent mode", but I do not receive a sound-volume is turned up.

No44specialk

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I found a solution to my problem, it may help you too.

Check out:
-Settings > Sound > Volume (at the top of the list) > and make sure that the volumes are turned on and at a high level.

Hope it helps!

Raien

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Think its time I just forsake my warranty and hack.

My sound notification for texting doesn't work, at all. No matter what file I use/how loud it is. No vibration, no sound. Just, nothing.

jademan38

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I contacted ATT and they are sending a new phone. Not sure what caused the problem, seems once I get a phone call, the phone will ring and I will get notifications for a little while (?).

Very odd...

Thanks again

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue. I called at&t and they connected me to Samsung who wanted me to send my phone in for warranty repair.

I have two GSIIs in my house and both have the issue but for some reason mine seems to be more frequent. My notification sounds and vibration will stop only after hours while my other GSII's notifications may stop working after a day or so.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Any news? Was hoping someone may have heard whether they found a fix or if it's been acknowledged by at&t or Sammy.

plynn7

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been getting the same issue after I ran the ICS update last weekend. I will get notifications if I am going back and forth with texts, but If the phone is left idle for a few hours the notifications stop I don't know I have a text unless I look at the phone. Also when I get a pic text it shows downloading for around 5-7 sec before the pic shows up, I never had that problem with my Captivate, pics would show up instantly. Anyone else have this issue with pics having to download before showing up?

plynn7

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
So I did a factory reset as requested by Att to see if this would fix the issue. I did the reset last night and it seems to have solved both issues I was having. Pic texts having to download and not getting a notification when I received a text, both seem to be working now.

plynn7

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
So I just figured out that if you have the background data disabled the notification of text stops working. As sooon as I turn it back on the notifications start working again.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've performed factory resets on mine. The issue still returned for me. I don't have background data restricted either.

dhughes

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue and did a factory reset. It still occurs after the reset. Very frustrating to miss texts because you did not hear anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Trip64

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Go into mms app, settings, scroll down and make sure the settings on the application are what you need.. The default for vibration is never I think.

Sent from my TASKed aokp I777 (4.0.4 ics)

bcjanes

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Did a factory reset same day as my last post and so far everything is working like it should be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

bcjanes

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset fixed the issue for me for sure. Phone is also much quicker and smoother and battery life improved after the factory reset as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835