Since ICS upgrade, battery draining 3%/hr while idling

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having battery drain issues with ICS? My battery had been draining awfully fast over the two days that I've had ICS installed. I used to be able to get through a full day without issue with 2.3.6, but am having trouble reaching the evening with ICS installed.

I just let my phone sit and idle, having closed out all apps using the native Task Manager, and the battery drained 3% in an hour's time. That means if my phone will drain 51% just sitting there if I take it off of the charge at 6am and wait until 11pm. That is absolutely ridiculous.

And, fyi, I went through to ensure that I have the same settings that I had on 2.3.6.

Anyone else having this issue? If so, any potential fixes?

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm about 10% or more (with wifi on) sitting idle. I'm going to try the battery pull and then drain the battery till it shut off today and see how the battery is like when it starts back up after fully charging it.

Last edited:

bucsfan2384

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that the battery life on all these update are getting worst with every update that comes out. On Froyo i could get up to 2 day off of one charge. Gingerbread i get about 18hrs , now with ICS im getting like 8-12hrs depending on use of my phone. I thought it was suppose to be better battery life with these updates. Sucks AT@T or Samsung need to figure something out. Looks to me their dropping the balls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
What should be the average battery drain for ICS on these phones?

I just tested mine and I was about 2% an hr.

Exactly what are you running on your phone? Any launchers, SMS, widget? What are your setting? Cuz I would kill right now for 2% an hour.

I have noticed an immediate drainage when I do text messages from 75% to 69% after about 5-10 messages in the matter of 1-2 minutes. (It's maybe because i restore over 10k worth of messages after I factory reset my phone or Go Launcher...still testing)

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what are you running on your phone? Any launchers, SMS, widget? What are your setting? Cuz I would kill right now for 2% an hour.

I have noticed an immediate drainage when I do text messages from 75% to 69% after about 5-10 messages in the matter of 1-2 minutes. (It's maybe because i restore over 10k worth of messages after I factory reset my phone or Go Launcher...still testing)

I am not running anything else besides a few widgets. No launchers or sms apps. I am running a few widgets: Email, Facebook, Google Voice (in which FB and Email are set to update once a day). I have everything turned off (wifi, gps, sync, Bluetooth), and my screen brightness is set to 0%.

I went to the battery setting, and the only thing that is not "stock/system" that is running is Battery Defender (in which i have turned off), Drudge Report app, an addon for Dolphin Browser, and Google Play Store.

el bos

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting better battery life throughout the day. If you plan on being on WiFi all the time, I HIGHLY recommend downloading ATT Smart WiFi app. It manages the WiFi on your phone A LOT better and saving battery life.

dimman

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Installed Ice Cream on Monday, last charge 24hrs. ago, have used 33%. Blue tooth is on, & active stock widgets (Facebook, weather)..less than 2% per hour. Not too bad

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I squeezed just over 17 hours out of my first day with ICS and that was with wifi and bluetooth on the entire time and not in use for either. But I hardly used the phone all day. I fully charged my phone up overnight and unplugged it this morning and the battery dropped 10% in 1 hour. I fully charged the phone again and it's now at 86% after 5 hours and 47 minutes (wifi has been on the entire time but not in use at all and no bluetooth on this time). I am certainly getting mixed results so far with my phone. I am hoping today's experience is more indicative of what to expect. Time will tell.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
This is really weird. Folks over at androidforums are saying that they get at least TWICE the battery life with ics on this same phone.

It seems to be mixed review over in that site as well. There were a few people that said their battery took a nosedive when they use their phone which is what I'm experiencing as well.

tazman69

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
What are the settings on your phone?

I have Juice Defender but I only use it to limit how my apps connect to the internet. I block all my games from accessing the net as the games I have are not games played with others. So there is no need for them to connect. I also limit some other apps to only connect when my screen is on. But I do NOT use JD to limit my phone's connection to the net in any way as I have had problems with it in the past.

I have my screen brightness set as low as possible as I am indoors the vast majority of time and the screen is plenty readable with the lowest setting. If I am outdoors and I need to increase my brightness I use a widget to do that.

I had wifi on the entire time but was only connected to wifi about 5 hours of the 15. I do not have my wifi set up to notify me of an open connection. I did not have bluetooth on.

I have 4 email accounts - 2 Gmail and 2 Yahoo. Gmail is push and I have yahoo only sync once a day unless I do it manually.

I have twitter and facebook sync with twitter every 2 hours and facebook every hour.

I generally only use my phone for data and some talking but not much.

hansgroter

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me also
Sig.jpg

el bos

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have Juice Defender but I only use it to limit how my apps connect to the internet. I block all my games from accessing the net as the games I have are not games played with others. So there is no need for them to connect. I also limit some other apps to only connect when my screen is on. But I do NOT use JD to limit my phone's connection to the net in any way as I have had problems with it in the past.

I have my screen brightness set as low as possible as I am indoors the vast majority of time and the screen is plenty readable with the lowest setting. If I am outdoors and I need to increase my brightness I use a widget to do that.

I had wifi on the entire time but was only connected to wifi about 5 hours of the 15. I do not have my wifi set up to notify me of an open connection. I did not have bluetooth on.

I have 4 email accounts - 2 Gmail and 2 Yahoo. Gmail is push and I have yahoo only sync once a day unless I do it manually.

I have twitter and facebook sync with twitter every 2 hours and facebook every hour.

I generally only use my phone for data and some talking but not much.

Awesome. I just noticed that I had Sync and Account On the whole time. I think that was main culprit. After 1 hour of standby, wifi on, Yahoo mail push every 15 min, and Juice Defender NOT activated I have not lost any battery juice :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan