WiFi issues after upgrading to ICS - Solved

maxud

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I apologize if this has been discussed here, but I did not see this come up yet, so I wonder if this is only happening with my phone.

I have ATT Samsung Galaxy S2 and upgraded it to ICS via Kies. The phone is not rooted and 100% stock.
I was generally pleased with ICS, except for one big problem.
When I wake up my phone by pressing power button, I have 50/50 chance of it finding the WiFi network. Sometimes it connects and sometimes it just keeps searching and searching, while it stays on the cellular network.
The way to get it to work is to simply turn WiFi off and back on, and it instantly connects to the WiFi network.
This happens in multiple WiFi networks, like at home, at work and my inlaws. This used to work flawlessly with Gingerbread 2.3.6 I had prior to upgrade.

I saw comments on different forum for international SGII phone with couple of different WiFi issues. Anybody here experiences the same issue?
thanks
Max

p.s. Problem solved, scroll down to my last post.

Last edited:

bellington74

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
The stock ICS update added a new AT&T bloatware app called AT&T wi-fi. Disable or delete it and see if this fixes your wi-fi issue. I had the same problem after updating and removing that fixed it for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: maxud

maxud

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: WiFi issues after upgrading to ICS

Thanks for your tip!
I removed the application called AT&T smart Wi-Fi.
I have also disabled Wi-Fi options related to AT&T Wi-Fi spots.

Did anybody else notice that AT&T misspelled "Notify option"
it says "Noitfy". Thanks AT&T, it was worth the wait, NOT.

Anyway, hope this fixes my issue, I will report back in a few days.
thanks
Max

maxud

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

quick update, seems like it fails to connect less than before, but still happens.
Any other ideas?
thanks
Max

bellington74

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, some people are seeing issues being corrected by doing a factory reset, but as I stated in a different post seen HERE, there is a known and very sever bug that can cause a hard brick when doing this. I know because I hit it. That being said, my replacement phone I got this morning does not seem to have the connection issues I saw on my previous one, and I again took off the AT&T wi-fi app. Driving in it picked up several open hot spots, and so far here at work I have not seen the connection issues when waking up the phone.

Personally I think the update was borked, and caused more issues than it fixed. If you DO go the route of a factory reset, make sure you have either Samsung or AT&T on the phone with you, and THEY make the recommendation to do it. That way if it does brick, it's because THEY told you to do it and they should do a replacement as they did for me, provided you are still under warranty.

If I happen across any other helpful tips, aside from "root and flash customer ROM" I will pass it along.

maxud

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

I appreciate your suggestion. At this point in time I was just wondering if my phone is unique with this problem, or it is a widespread issue with At&t ICS 4.0.3
thanks
Max

maxud

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

Well, I finally figured out how to solve this problem. In Wi-Fi configuration under advanced options, there is a setting for "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep". There was a bug in Gingerbread that leaving wi-fi on would drain the battery like crazy, so suggestion was to turn wi-fi OFF during sleep.
In ICS there are 3 options Always/plugged in/Never.
When I had Never option selected, I had problems reconnecting to Wi-Fi, not always, just sometimes. I changed it to Always and have not had this issue since!!!
Thanks to everyone for suggestions
Max

aabnyy

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi i also have the same problem, but i can't get your instruction.. Where can i find the AT&T smart wifi? I don't know that, i already upgraded my Samsung S2. Please help, i can't access my Wifi herein my house, i hope you can help. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae