Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By NEDNERBISH
  • 1 Post By NEDNERBISH
  • 2 Post By nonie
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I have had it trying to root!!!!!

I have been trying to get my at&t gs2 rooted for months now but CANNOT find a clear concise way to!! Every like I click takes me somewhere else. No one feels like explaining anything. Its f-ing confusing for someone who's not tech savy w phones. I ask for the easiest way but always get nowhere. I want to root and the whole shabam but I cannot get any real answers or help. Fooey.

sent from a small, tiny voice using tapatalk.
    robcassman likes this.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Re: I have had it trying to root!!!!!

Check out the following link: Just read and reread the instructions before trying it
    I used method no. 3. I even thought I had bricked my phone once, but used this same method to restore it. Have been enjoying the different MODs since. Currently on the Experimental CM10 for the ATT Galaxy S2

Quote Originally Posted by NEDNERBISH View Post
    I have been trying to get my at&t gs2 rooted for months now but CANNOT find a clear concise way to!! Every like I click takes me somewhere else. No one feels like explaining anything. Its f-ing confusing for someone who's not tech savy w phones. I ask for the easiest way but always get nowhere. I want to root and the whole shabam but I cannot get any real answers or help. Fooey.

What version of Android do you currently have on your phone?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

4.0.3 Ics. I was fine for a while with the update but lately my phone is a MESS. force closing everything, the battery is dead in about 5 hours with moderate music through headphone use, constant freezing. I've had it!! Lol

robcassman likes this.

4.0.3 Ics. I was fine for a while with the update but lately my phone is a MESS. force closing everything, the battery is dead in about 5 hours with moderate music through headphone use, constant freezing. I've had it!! Lol

If you use the link that bravebull posted, you'll be back on Gingerbread. If that's where you want to be, then you'll just need to setup your phone again and you're done. Be sure to do a factory wipe after flashing to make sure you clean out any stuff left over from ICS.

Assuming you're on UCLE5 (the stock AT&T ICS), you can use to reflash the same ROM with root. You should then flash another kernel (as noted in the posting) before you do any kind of wipe to prevent damaging your phone due to the EMMC bug in the AT&T kernel. If you're already on UCLE5, you shouldn't need to do any kind of wipe, and your current settings should remain after the flash.

What do you want to do that you need root access for?

I don't see the hard part, you find instructions, follow them exactly.

Is it the following instructions part?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Lol. Maybe. Every time I click the links for Odin or the other one I go to this 7zip thing and it wants to add ads to my PC and I never get the actual downloads

sent from a still, small voice using tapatalk.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I tried again to download it and got a message saying it can't find the correct program to open it and gave me the option to surf the web to find it. This is impossible. Then the 1st step is to download the 7zip file and extract the contents to a directory on my hard disk drive. What does that even mean? Sooo frustrated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have had it trying to root!!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1346444451839.jpg  

Smile Re: I have had it trying to root!!!!!

I tried again to download it and got a message saying it can't find the correct program to open it and gave me the option to surf the web to find it. This is impossible. Then the 1st step is to download the 7zip file and extract the contents to a directory on my hard disk drive. What does that even mean? Sooo frustrated.

That's exactly why I haven't tried to root my phone or tablet. :-)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yea I wish I was content but unfortunately since I updated my phone to pics it keeps getting worse and worse. Constant freezing, force closing, it gets real hot and I only get about 5 hours on listening to music w headphones. It never lasts the whole day w out recharging. Arrrggghhh

Yeah, I haven't updated my phone to ICS, hearing to many problems.
    robcassman and NEDNERBISH like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Yayyy!!! I figured out and rooted!!! Thank you everyone! !!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I rooted with a gb kernel. Is it possible to get my gs2 running jellybean?

Sent from a still, small voice with help from my Galaxy s2.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

I rooted with a gb kernel. Is it possible to get my gs2 running jellybean?

Yes it is. Cyanogemod has the CM9 (Ice Cream Sandwich) nightlies and stable ROMs. It also has the CM10 (Jelly Bean) Experimentals. I am currently using the Tomato Squeezer experimental and loving it. You will have to do a factory/date wipe but in my opinion, it is worth the trouble of having to reload your apps. Wifi tethering works. The downloads can be found at:
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Thank you so much. It really makes me happy when people are nice and helpful. That's great news. Now I saw a bunch of people talking about titanium backup so I bought it but have no clue how to use it yet but will that save all my apps and data? Idk. Lol I'm so confused by all this root flash rom wipe stuff. My heads spinning,

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Thank you so much. It really makes me happy when people are nice and helpful. That's great news. Now I saw a bunch of people talking about titanium backup so I bought it but have no clue how to use it yet but will that save all my apps and data? Idk. Lol I'm so confused by all this root flash rom wipe stuff. My heads spinning,

Take it a little bit at a time. Don't try to do everything at once. Read, read, and reread the different forums on what you are interested in doing. I have always found an answer in one of the forums but I had to search and search again. I always have a back-up phone in case I mess up and make mine inoperable (have done it a couple of times but eventually restored it with help from the forums). The answers are out there, you just have to search and read. Have fun.
    Thanked by:

The web site for Titanium Backup has some documentation on how to use it. Follow the link for the developer's web site on the Google Play Store page for TB.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

7zip is a compression program similar to pkzip. You can find an installer for it at

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I am FINALLY rooted and flashed aokp jellybean. I can't believe I waited this long to do this!!!! Love it now!!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

I am FINALLY rooted and flashed aokp jellybean. I can't believe I waited this long to do this!!!! Love it now!!

That is good news NEDNERBISH. I yet to try my hand in rooting. Now that you are on jellybean, it be good to have u'r opinion after a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I absolutely LOVE it!!! Sooo much better than stock. Zero bloatware. Its so slick and 100% customizable, EVERYTHING