Updated to 4.0.4, kept having to battery pull, now power button does work

Curado

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Both my mine and my wife's phones were updated to 4.0.4. As soon as we updated we started having issues. When the screen would go black into locked mode, we couldnt bring it back. We would have to pull the battery to restart it just to get the phone working again. Would happen probably 5 times a day. Then yesterday, my phone started doing it every single time the phone would go into locked mode. The only way it would come out of it is if i would do a battery pull, someone would call, an alarm would go off or I would get a text.

So now the power button doesnt work at all and isnt responsive to anything. I even did a factory reset; nothing. I read somewhere to let the phone completely die, take battery out, plug back in, insert battery. So I did that. But now....its at the charging screen and I cant power on the phone at all.

Called AT&T. Called Samsung. Basically, I am SOL because my screen is partially cracked so nothing can be done for me at all.

PLEASE. ANY suggestions? I have five months left on my contract, I cant buy a new phone!

EDIT: After a bit of charging and another battery swap, I was able to get back in. Power button still doesnt work though. And of coursethe apps that allow you to map different buttons for the wake screen option dont work with 4.0.4. Samsung and AT&T keeps saying that its impossible that a firmware update affected my power button. But I never had issues until RIGHT after i updated. Same with my wife's phone. And the more im reading online, the more it seems 4.0.4 is affecting the power button? WTF is going on here!?!?

Last edited:

Curado

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
and now the power button magically started working again.

Im seriously calling BS on a hardware issue and saying its all due to 4.0.4!

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The software is buggy as all get out. On 4.0.3, the phone kept failing to wake up. Got a replacement from AT&T, and it did the same thing. Ended up just rooting and flashing CM10, and I haven't had a single issue in over a month and a half. Sort of sad that the CM10 folks got software to work better than the Samsung folks.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have also have/had the "black screen of death" problem on both 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 but I will say that 4.0.4 runs much faster than 4.0.3. I have been killing background processes and that seems to prevent lockups.

Sambo41

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My wife's GSII has been experiencing the "black screen of death" since the JB udate, too. I took it to our local Radio Shack and the tech did a factory reset and it has worked for three days without any problems. I haven't had any problems with the power button. Also, I did re-install JuiceDefender.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife's GSII has been experiencing the "black screen of death" since the JB udate, too. I took it to our local Radio Shack and the tech did a factory reset and it has worked for three days without any problems. I haven't had any problems with the power button. Also, I did re-install JuiceDefender.

Battery pulls temporarily solve the black screen of death, but that shouldn't be what we have to do. I also did a factory reset, but that didn't stop the black screen of death from re-occurring. Simply poor software build by Samsung.

Curado

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So this seemed to work for both my phone and my wife's phone. Download the Broken Power button app. enable it. try to Get the phone to time out with the power button. If it doesnt work, uninstall the program. Keep doing this until it tricks the phones hardware into working again.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The "Sleep of Death" was happening to my wife's as well. I ended up loading Siyah 7.5.2 as a ClockWorks recovery kernel and SuperNexus 2.0 (Android 4.2) as an OS, and with a few tweaks (APN had to be reconfigured to make data work well, had to re-load an older Picasa/camera mod on top of the newest Google Apps framework in order to get Picasa gallery sync working, and a few falst starts on the kernel) the phone is working as well as my Nexus Seven, and running the exact same version of the OS.

It's pretty sweet. Took a little while and a lot of reading to figure it out, but it was so worth it.