Can ATT Galaxy S2 be used on T-Mobile network?

pdxcarnut

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Apologies if this is a stupid noob question, but it's time to upgrade from my iPhone 3 and I'm looking for a good used Galaxy S2.

I'm on the T-Mobile network right now and plan to stay here for now.

But I have seen a number of ATT S2s for sale. I understand there are 2 different versions.

Will either work on T-Mobile?

Will either give me full functionality on T-Mobile or should I just hold out for a T-Mobile S2?

If anybody has other suggestions for good used Android phones in the $150-$200 range I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Ian "knows lots about cars, phones, not so much"

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It depends on how T-Mobile is broadcasting in your area. For years they were operating in the 1700 MHz band for 3G -- one that isn't used by AT&T and isn't found in the SGH-I777. TM is transitioning those to their 1900 band -- which is in the handset's range -- but I guess you would have to ask TM for the technical details of your area.

Ultimately, an unlocked phone will function, but not necessarily at desirable speeds. This issue was evidenced by customers who decided to use iPhones on the TM network before they were offered by the company. They worked -- but were restricted to Edge levels of performance.

pdxcarnut

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm using an unlocked iPhone 3 on T-Mobile now, and it's painfully slow, even on wifi at home. That's why I'm sensitive to the issue.

blazer - thanks for the link, I see they have new Galaxys there regularly at that price, so I'll keep that in mind. Probably easier than running around town looking for a good used one. The LG does look like a decent phone, I have to decide it it would help to have one that is more popular, or just go for specs and price. I see them very lightly used here for $150.

Dr. - thanks for the technical info, exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Jose De Jesus A

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
i had a AT&T skyrocket sgh-i727 and it works flawless on t mobile. anD even better LTE... AND FOR ALL TMOBILE COMPATIBLES JUST 4G...now on galaxy s4
i hope my post help many members

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
My tmobile note ii on att was limited to h+

On aio I get lte [aio is att]

Curse you carriers.

But yea, check the phones attena frequencies [avaliable at gsm arena] against the desired carrier frequencies in your area.

And note, many new verizon phones can be unlocked and made to work on att and tmobile as well, see above. [With a gsm rom]

And of course sprint is lonley.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital