Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GS3 Otterbox Defender Case Review-Extended

Please use the link below. I can't vouch for the editing as this was my first YouTube video.

Enjoy. If you have any questions, please let me know.
    Thanked by 2:
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,309 Global Posts

Default Re: GS3 Otterbox Defender Case Review-Extended

Nicely done on the video...

Otterbox simply makes a nice product. Curious, when moving icons from one screen to another in portrait mode, does it seem difficult once you get the icon to the edge of the screen? With the 'lip' on the side of Otterbox cases I've always found I have to move icons in landscape mode versus portrait mode.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Absolutely no issues moving icons. The pinch gesture to access all the homescreen pages works great as well. The infinite scrolling is smooth as silk. Pinch to zoom and double tap work great. One thing that I noticed, that I forgot to test, is that the screen protector is a bit thicker than I was expecting. This made the homescreen button seem just barely higher than the screen. However, this does not affect its functionality at all.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I was just looking at the case in the holster and took it out. For a second, I thought that I had the Note. The increased size is no issue using the phone one-handed but I am definitely not going to worry if it gets dropped. I also noticed that the camera, flash and speaker grill on the back are more recessed than on the Commuter, again added protection and comfort.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,309 Global Posts

...hence no issues taking photos with flash?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No issues with photos. Are you having issues with your Defender?
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,309 Global Posts

Still waiting for delivery (Thursday), I was merely curious...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Still waiting for delivery (Thursday), I was merely curious...
    No problem. I was just surprised that it is taking so long as we ordered a few hours apart, at least, I thought that we did.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Great review!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Great review!
    Thanks very much.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I saw one in the ATT store and noticed the silicone seemed to have been thickened (or hardened) more then in earlier cases, which I think is good. My only 2 gripes with my Atrix case was the silicone tended to loosen and slip off the edges and it attracted lint somewhat. The case wouldn't fall off by no means, just had to push it over the edges allot.
    1: I know you only had the case briefly, but I was just curious if it the silicone is holding firm or is it loosening with use.
    If they've redesigned ii to stay firm, I will be getting one too.
    2: How's the silicone doing with lint, etc.

Thanks, and great review.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by dwade View Post
    I saw one in the ATT store and noticed the silicone seemed to have been thickened (or hardened) more then in earlier cases, which I think is good. My only 2 gripes with my Atrix case was the silicone tended to loosen and slip off the edges and it attracted lint somewhat. The case wouldn't fall off by no means, just had to push it over the edges allot.
    1: I know you only had the case briefly, but I was just curious if it the silicone is holding firm or is it loosening with use.

Thanks. Glad that you liked it.

The Commuter required a bit of finding so that the silicone outer layer fit better giving a slight click as the silicone fit around the power button and volume rocker. After a week, the play in the buttons got noticeably better but were still a bit stiff. I also found that polycarbonate outer layer was a bit slick so I had to make a conscious effort to grab the silicone buttons when I pulled the phone out my pocket. The silicone buttons were thicker despite a thinner polycarbonate layer.

The Defender silicone outer layer is dramatically easier to use on the power button and volume rocker despite a much thicker polycarbonate layer. The silicone layer formulation must have been different thus a possible explanation for the release delay.

I did not notice a lint issue with Commuter and Defender is easy to take apart and clean.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I outer layer is much better than the old design by far.

Lint IS going to be an issue. I mean lets be real here....Its rubber! But it is easy to take a part and clean. Over all its a fair trade off with the protection you gain IMO.

If you get one use it. Plus you have 30 days to return it! But as you must know...Not every case is for everyone. Pending on your needs it might be perfect. Otherwise there are some other options out there for you. If you would like I will stick a list together for us all here later tonight.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I guess that I haven't had mine long enough to notice the lint but mine stays in the holster most of the time. This is the first Defender case that I have had on a phone. My other Defender case is on my Playbook. I do love my Defender because the outer case has good grip and isn't slippery.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Thanks to both

I'd been using both Otterbox and Seidio since my Blackberry Bold and Torch days. You can't beat the protection factor from either company. I was using both (Defender, Seidio Convert) on my Atrix . I found myself switching back and forth between the two.

I'm using the Seidio Convert now. Tomorrow I'm going back to ATT and grab a Defender case.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Thanks to both

I'd been using both Otterbox and Seidio since my Blackberry Bold and Torch days. You can't beat the protection factor from either company. I was using both (Defender, Seidio Convert) on my Atrix . I found myself switching back and forth between the two.

I'm using the Seidio Convert now. Tomorrow I'm going back to ATT and grab a Defender case.
    Then I say go for it!

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Ditto. I love mine.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,309 Global Posts

I've finally opened the packing and installed my Otterbox Defender. I am impressed, as always with Otterbox.Especially with the ease to be able to press the power button!

They've done a good job with this case.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I've finally opened the packing and installed my Otterbox Defender. I am impressed, as always with Otterbox.Especially with the ease to be able to press the power button!

They've done a good job with this case.
    Glad to hear that it finally arrived and that you are liking it.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Well, I went back to the ATT store yesterday. They were sold out of the Defender. The rep had no idea when they would get more in (he said the person who had that information already went home for the day).

So I went home and I searched online. I ordered one from Mobilecityonline on Ebay. With 2 day shipping it was $45.46. Should get it Friday by FedEx.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Got my Otterbox via FedEx today.

After putting it on the phone, it will be staying on the phone. The silicone is much firmer/thicker then on the previous phones I've had. The case itself looks great.

Otterbox did an outstanding job.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

After putting it on the phone, it will be staying on the phone. The silicone is much firmer/thicker then on the previous phones I've had. The case itself looks great.

I think that OB did a better job on the Defender silicone layer than on the Commuter. The play in the power button and the volume rocker is much better on the Defender.

Now that the case has been available for a while, how are the port covers holding up? I was not happy with the iPhone 4 otterbox. Could not get the flaps to stay closed.

I am using the Seidio Convert/Surface combo and the port covers are about perfect. Really love my case, but the lack of a built in screen protector is an issue.
    Thinking of making a switch, unless someone can recommend a better screen protector that covers more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I was one of the first on the forums to get the case...So far they are GREAT! And I use the USB port all the time during the day/night time to charge. You got nothing to worry about!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Does the thicker screen protection cause any kind of problems when using the touchscreen, like some commands that arent recognized or something?

Cheers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast