Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Default Well, I bought the "flip case"

I was looking for it at the AT&T store, but they were charging 50 dollars for it - thank you very much, but no. I bought one from one of those Chinese vendors on eBay before I received my SG3, but the picture looked like a light pastel blue, rather than the slate "pebble" color, so a few days ago, I bought one from Amazon. Well, they both arrived today, and they both were the official OEM Samsung pebble blue covers. Oh well. I have a backup.It looks good with the Samsung C pen stylus I got, too.

(note to self: get more Shalimar)

As you can see, it's very different from the Otterbox Defender

1) It's sleeker, sexier, more beautiful
    and
    2) It probably won't do nothin' to actually provide any protection for my SG3. But, hey, ain't she purty?
    Card Carrying Device Junkie

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer Pad TF300 with Dock

Default Re: Well, I bought the "flip case"

Mighty purty. Here's praying that your GS3 doesn't do any accidental gymnastics down concrete steps or when it is accidentally dropped. Good luck.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by jcp006 View Post
    Mighty purty. Here's praying that your GS3 doesn't do any accidental gymnastics down concrete steps or when it is accidentally dropped. Good luck.
    Yeah...it's back to Amazon for the Otterbox...sigh.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Asus Transformer Pad TF300 with Dock

Got mine from Alwayz on Sale on Amazon. I heard that AT&T has both the Defender and the Commuter.

This video should help you decide.

Thanked by:

I went with the Otterbox myself. I would personally like something a bit smaller, but due to where I work if I drop it - it's hitting concrete. So more protection is a plus.
    jcp007 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Well, here's the thing that gets me. Part of the reason I love my SG3 is its looks. It's sleek, slim build and it's pebble blue exterior. So to keep it good looking, I have to make it ugly.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I have the same flip cover. It's really classy! How is that pen working for you?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by cvflowe View Post
    I have the same flip cover. It's really classy! How is that pen working for you?
    Eh...so so. It has a smaller point than the usual capacitive stylus, and I have so much trouble with the non-physical keyboard (the one thing that kept me with BlackBerry), but it seems to use variable amounts of pressure. I just wish I could thumb type, like I see people doing on busses all the time. If I had tumb typed this post it would have read something like this:

Rh....do ai. Uy hss a dmallrr ....

Well, you get the picture.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

FYI Best Buy us selling it for $29.99! Return or have them price match it! (Corp stores do.)
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Talking Re: Well, I bought the "flip case"

Quote Originally Posted by barskin View Post
    Eh...so so. It has a smaller point than the usual capacitive stylus, and I have so much trouble with the non-physical keyboard (the one thing that kept me with BlackBerry), but it seems to use variable amounts of pressure. I just wish I could thumb type, like I see people doing on busses all the time. If I had tumb typed this post it would have read something like this:

Rh....do ai. Uy hss a dmallrr ....

Well, you get the picture.
    Thanks!!

Pros:
    -Can be potentially used as a shade for taking pics in bright light.
    -No AT&T logo!
    -Slightly thicker than stock, but at least the camera glass isn't resting on the surface.
    -Pretty

Cons:
    -It blocks the notification LED.
    -Slightly thicker than stock.
    -Makes it hard to change the volume with phone in your pocket.
    -When I leave it folded back for a while, it looks like it's starting to separate at the "hinged" area.
    -Useless once the wireless charging kit comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere View Post
    Pros:
    -Can be potentially used as a shade for taking pics in bright light.
    -No AT&T logo!
    -Slightly thicker than stock, but at least the camera glass isn't resting on the surface.
    -Pretty

Cons:
    -It blocks the notification LED.
    -Slightly thicker than stock.
    -Makes it hard to change the volume with phone in your pocket.
    -When I leave it folded back for a while, it looks like it's starting to separate at the "hinged" area.
    -Useless once the wireless charging kit comes out.
    Biggest Con:

When the phone is doing an unplanned cartwheel down concrete steps resulting in a cracked screen and dings all over the phone.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by jcp006 View Post
    Biggest Con:

When the phone is doing an unplanned cartwheel down concrete steps resulting in a cracked screen and dings all over the phone.
    Oy veh...you're such a pessimist.

I like the flip case, but one more con for people working out is that you need to either change the case every time you want to put the phone in an arm band, or you need to work harder to cram it in. I think I'm going to punch a hole in mine so I can see the notifications. It should've come that way to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by barskin View Post
    Oy veh...you're such a pessimist.
    More of a realist having watched my RIM devices do some unplanned gymnastics over the last several years.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I got the flip case for free from AT&T the day I bought my S3 but after a while it gets really annoying. I got the Defender which I really wanted so I stayed with the Flip case till places started having them. The rubber around the cover peeled off and like some have said it offers no protection outside of covering the screen if you keep it in your pocket. Honestly once the Defender case came in I practically tossed the flip cover out.

I am just still not sold on the whole flip case thing..kind of sounds like adding another step to getting to my phone
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.3

Quote Originally Posted by reno55 View Post
    I am just still not sold on the whole flip case thing..kind of sounds like adding another step to getting to my phone
    No, I beg to differ. It doesn't kind of sound like adding another step to getting to your phone, it is another step to getting to your phone.

Behind every great phone is a great case. The case is an important decision. Protection and mitigating threats to the functionality are paramount over style. I agree that the case looks nice but nothing beats a good rugged case.

Wouldn't it be more practical to just get a full body wet application protector? That way the back and sides are quite protected from scratches, as is the screen, and you don't get the con of having the screen covered?

I really wanted to buy this, but people said the fact it blocks LED notifications, is not really that sturdy, that it makes holding the phone while answering or calling people difficult etc.

I'd rather have a solid screen protector and a case that could at least absorb many dings, nicks or scratches.

Not seeing the notification LED got annoying quick used a Dremel and put two holes where LED and camera are, worked great. This case doesn't provide any structural protection but I like that all it added to the original phone was the flap. I have the flap down every time I'm on a call which I also like. Overall happy with it now that I can see the LED.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Well, I bought the "flip case"-p1010214.jpg  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

I bought the camo and blaze orange otterbox for mine when I bought the SGS3 Friday and the guy at the store put it on before he handed the phone to me. I'm used to having the case on so much now I don't really notice it (believe it or not) It was 2 days later before I realized I had never even held my phone without the case, so off it came for about 10 minutes LOL then back in the case it went and hasn't been out since. might pick up a commuter case later on for my days off but for work the defender will be in place.

Bump.... wondering if anyone knows of the best place to buy the Flip Case. Don't want to drop $50 at ATT but also don't want to buy a "fake" on Amazon / eBay. Best price for the REAL Samsung version?

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Sorry folks...
    But both the Otterbox case's AND flip case dont hold anything to the newly found UAG case. Low profile protection but not as thick as the commuter case. I have had all 3 cases. If you give UAG a try you wont ever look back. Plus its works perfectly with my ZAGG IS HD. Easy install and easy to take off when needed. Even NFC works well with it.

Check em out.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Try sprint they have them 39.99 which is the original price for them on samsung.com idk y at&t bumped the price up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast