[How to] Root without tripping flash counter!

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
First and foremost, all credit goes to mrRobinson of XDA for posting this wonderful tutorial

First, download the stock Odin tar file w/rooted system image injected into it

Odin tar
md5sum: 653fac8617dff19e58968d173d5ffbf6

Next, extract the stock_root67.tar from the file you downloaded.
Put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
Once in odin click the PDA field and select the stock_root67.tar you downloaded.
Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
click start and when done let phone reboot.

If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc., then you can stop here.

To get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....

Once rebooted grab the recovery from here: http://www.epiccm.org/2012/06/cwm-recovery-on-all-sgs3-lte-variants.html
It's been found that there can be issues with recovery not "seeing" your external sdcard if you use one of the above listed. Instead use one of the following
CWM 5.8.4.5
or
CWMTouchRecovery 5.8.4.5

Extract this file to get a recovery.img file and copy to your phone's internal /sdcard
(to extract the file, remove md5 from the end first, then extract with your program of choice, I use WinRAR)

Connect your phone to computer and open the command prompt
Type adb shell, then hit enter
Type su, then hit enter
Type dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18, then hit enter

After entering that command, you should see this:
Code:
13992+0 records in
13992+0 records out
7163904 bytes transferred in 1.672 secs (4284631 bytes/sec)
Type reboot recovery, then hit enter

Once it reboots you will now have CWM Recovery installed. It is highly suggested that at this time you make a nandroid backup so you have a freshly rooted setup to fall back on should you run in to any problems down the road.

Don't have adb installed/setup? Check out this video, it will walk you through the process

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaNM-lt_aHw[/YT]

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: icewater106 and beh

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Does this hack just not increment the flash counter or does it set it back to zero even if it has been previously tripped?

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Does this hack just not increment the flash counter or does it set it back to zero even if it has been previously tripped?
There's currently no way to reset the counter once it's been tripped, for the US versions. This prevents the counter from being tripped. It seems like alot to do but I am a noob to Samsung smartphones and it was my first time rooting one, first time using Odin, first time using ADB, and following this guide I managed to pull it off with no problems the first time around. If I can do it, anybody can.

anon(853725)

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
When I tried this method, I got hung up in ODIN. I put the device in download mode, connected it to my computer, and started ODIN. When I have everything configured as directed I hit the start button and get the message "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)." I've read elsewhere that Samsung drivers are required for my computer. I don't have them installed; could this be the source of my error? Also, I installed the OTA update the other day when prompted. If anyone could lend me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Looks like it was the drivers. You can get them from Samsung's support site here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I747RWBATT?

Last edited:

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
When I tried this method, I got hung up in ODIN. I put the device in download mode, connected it to my computer, and started ODIN. When I have everything configured as directed I hit the start button and get the message "<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)." I've read elsewhere that Samsung drivers are required for my computer. I don't have them installed; could this be the source of my error? Also, I installed the OTA update the other day when prompted. If anyone could lend me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

Looks like it was the drivers. You can get them from Samsung's support site here: Support - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I747 | Samsung Cell Phones
If you did the OTA and then attempt this root method, it won't work.

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it went okay. I got a "Pass" message on ODIN and have the Superuser app in my drawer.
Were you rooted before installing the OTA? Did you take any steps to preserve root before you accepted the OTA? Once your build was changed to the new LG1, you were able to root your AT&T GS3 using this method?

If yes, you are the only one in the world, everybody at XDA is reporting that this method no longer works once you have accepted the OTA.

Can you please post a screenshot showing your build number (about phone) and proving that it's rooted by running root checker or something that requires root access?

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I'd want to root my S3 is to get Google voice search from Jelly Bean, but keep Touch Wiz... would this be possible? I haven't rooted a phone since my EVO day's!

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My concern is that I'll end up bricking my phone as it seems really extensive of a process to root a GS3.... I can't help but feel that being my only reason for wanting to root however that I should just wait and get the Jelly Bean update when it comes... Thoughts?!?

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site

You can reset it by useing this app

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=eu.chainfire.triangleaway&token=m8nwOFAs

You can get it free from the xda but i lost the link

Edit: here is the link to get it free from the xda

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494114

Sent from my Galaxy SIII on Rezurrection Rom and OC/UV using Red Xparent Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My concern is that I'll end up bricking my phone as it seems really extensive of a process to root a GS3.... I can't help but feel that being my only reason for wanting to root however that I should just wait and get the Jelly Bean update when it comes... Thoughts?!?
Extensive process? I didn't think it was extensive at all and this is my first Samsung phone, first time using Odin. It's very simple, flash the rooted system img via Odin then run a simple adb command to install cwm recovery. Nothing to it.

I know where you're coming from though....rooting my Atrix 2 was as simple as connecting the phone to my pc and double clicking a .bat file. So in comparison, yes it's much more difficult....although I wouldn't classify it as difficult at all. There are some videos on YouTube that walk you through the whole process, it's very easy. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't. My opinion, root that thing and get over your fear!

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Extensive process? I didn't think it was extensive at all and this is my first Samsung phone, first time using Odin. It's very simple, flash the rooted system img via Odin then run a simple adb command to install cwm recovery. Nothing to it.

I know where you're coming from though....rooting my Atrix 2 was as simple as connecting the phone to my pc and double clicking a .bat file. So in comparison, yes it's much more difficult....although I wouldn't classify it as difficult at all. There are some videos on YouTube that walk you through the whole process, it's very easy. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't. My opinion, root that thing and get over your fear!

I agree its not to extensive and I +1 on videos and after watching them it will be easier. You could also do the one that trips your flash counter.

Sent from my paranoid S3:smokingsomb:

Reactions: SHO_ONE#IM

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree its not to extensive and I +1 on videos and after watching them it will be easier. You could also do the one that trips your flash counter.

That's another thing, tripping the flash counter.... if I ever unroot, will anyone ever know?!? In other words if I need to replace my phone will I run into an issue(s)?

I don't want to lose touch wiz, (what a god awful name) I know... I know.... not being much of a purist, but I actually like the UI.... I think Sammy did alright buy it, great features I don't wanna lose plus IMHO most Roms are either a bit buggy or lacking feature(s)... I can just root my phone, change s-voice out and get google voice in and be done with it right?!? Thanks guys.... I'm off to continue my research, thanks!

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
That's another thing, tripping the flash counter.... if I ever unroot, will anyone ever know?!? In other words if I need to replace my phone will I run into an issue(s)?

If you reset the flash counter they shouldn't know. I had flash over 20 times and I'm back to 0. I'm not a 100% sure if they even check that though

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
If you reset the flash counter they shouldn't know. I had flash over 20 times and I'm back to 0. I'm not a 100% sure if they even check that though

Just installed ADB.... going in for the proverbial kill..... rooting now! Thanks again guys!

EDIT: The link above does not work for clockworkmod

Last edited:

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't want to lose touch wiz, (what a god awful name) I know... I know.... not being much of a purist, but I actually like the UI.... I think Sammy did alright buy it, great features I don't wanna lose plus IMHO most Roms are either a bit buggy or lacking feature(s)... I can just root my phone, change s-voice out and get google voice in and be done with it right?!? Thanks guys.... I'm off to continue my research, thanks!
Nobody will know cause you can use an app called Triangle Away to reset it. Yep, you can do exactly what you want.

Just installed ADB.... going in for the proverbial kill..... rooting now! Thanks again guys!

EDIT: The link above does not work for clockworkmod
It does, it's the exact process I used to root my phone and install cwm as well. I bet the problem you're having is on the part of extracting the recovery image file and placing it on your sdcard. The problem is that file extension is .tar md5...you have to delete the md5 part and make it so it's just .tar...then extract the file and place it on your sdcard. Let me know if that helps.

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Nobody will know cause you can use an app called Triangle Away to reset it. Yep, you can do exactly what you want.

It does, it's the exact process I used to root my phone and install cwm as well. I bet the problem you're having is on the part of extracting the recovery image file and placing it on your sdcard. The problem is that file extension is .tar md5...you have to delete the md5 part and make it so it's just .tar...then extract the file and place it on your sdcard. Let me know if that helps.

The link takes me to a page, but nothing there! do we have another link guys?

One more thing, will I lose apps, text msg's and so on if I root?

Last edited:

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The link takes me to a page, but nothing there! do we have another link guys?

One more thing, will I lose apps, text msg's and so on if I root?
The OP has been updated with the link fixed. However, use one of the other 2 CWM Recoveries I just posted.

Nope, nothing will be lost during this process.

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It looks like I've got myself rooted... but adb shell doesn't want to recognize my device.... I've installed the samsung kies drivers and so on, but I can't get the recovery on my device... anyone think they can help?

EDIT...

I don't get it, every file I've downloaded for clockwork is already an image file... I can't unzip these files... am I doing something wrong?

EDIT 2....

Did I do something wrong? Once I rooted my phone it updated... was I suppose to pull the battery?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital