Would rooting make it faster?

kineticwave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Recently because my iPhone 4 had been having issues, I've upgraded to the S3 and thus far, I have not been impressed though I know I should. The S3 lags quite frequently, especially when I'm typing or whenever I press the home button. Other than that, there are only minor areas where I prefer the iPhone over the S3. I've been suggested that I should root my phone though I denied at first not knowing what I would get myself into. However, with these lagging issues that have come up, I'm wondering whether rooting could somehow improve the phone's performance?

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Rooting alone not really, but flashing a rom and new kernel could really help with battery and performance at the same time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lags? What? It takes a millinanosecond for the S3 to recognize you did something? I'm not sure how you can get faster than instantaneous.

kineticwave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Lags? What? It takes a millinanosecond for the S3 to recognize you did something? I'm not sure how you can get faster than instantaneous.
It's not that it's being impossibly slow, just slower than what I've been convinced it should be like. And the lag I talk about is more like I press backspace while typing like a hundred times and nothing happens for like five seconds and suddenly my entire message I typed is gone. Also, whenever I clear the memory and I press the home button, it lags for about eight seconds - I mean, shouldn't clearing the memory increase the performance?

Geez I'm not sure I have the Verizon s3 I would head over to xdadevelopers.com go to the att s3 section and read up on rooting and flashing Roms their will be a master list of Roms over there

Alright, thanks for your input though!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like you have an app that is messing with something. I didn't have any lag at all and then when I upgraded to JB it seems even faster.

kineticwave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like you have an app that is messing with something. I didn't have any lag at all and then when I upgraded to JB it seems even faster.

That's what I thought at first when I was waiting for my phone to install JB. But somehow it hasn't gotten any better. I'm going to talk to my service provider and see what they'll do about it. But if it's not a hardware issue, what do you think is the cause of this? The most annoying thing for me is the lag while typing that I get really often.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Some people end up doing factory resets after a major OS update like you just did.. Going from ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) to (JellyBean) is not a HUGE change but its enough to warrant a factory reset if you have exhausted all other options to speed things up.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Some people end up doing factory resets after a major OS update like you just did.. Going from ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) to (JellyBean) is not a HUGE change but its enough to warrant a factory reset if you have exhausted all other options to speed things up.
I found that this really helped when I updated my Transformer Prime. Sometimes there are small things that need resetting. Give it a try.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Before you ask .. Yes a factory reset does as it says.. It wipes out everything and resets the device..

But...

Your contacts, email, calendar settings if sync'd will be linked to your Google account registered to that device.

You can backup your texts with a free app called SMS Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store.

Applications can be easily redownloaded if you log into the Google Play Store (your account) from a desktop/laptop computer and then look at your recent apps list and pick and choose to have which ever apps redownloaded to your device. Paid apps will be available to re download again.

Application data is a loss though , like example if your into Angry Birds or something like that you will loose your progress in the game.

kineticwave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Before you ask .. Yes a factory reset does as it says.. It wipes out everything and resets the device..

But...

Your contacts, email, calendar settings if sync'd will be linked to your Google account registered to that device.

You can backup your texts with a free app called SMS Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store.

Applications can be easily redownloaded if you log into the Google Play Store (your account) from a desktop/laptop computer and then look at your recent apps list and pick and choose to have which ever apps redownloaded to your device. Paid apps will be available to re download again.

Application data is a loss though , like example if your into Angry Birds or something like that you will loose your progress in the game.

Worst part is that I've already factory resetted my phone after updating to JB and nothing.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I already reset my phone once and nothing really changed. If anything I would say it's lagging even more now.

Did you auto reinstall all the old apps that we on there before? You need to add them slowly to see if it is a software issue.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, from what you said, it sounded like you were having the lag and issues before updating to Jelly Bean, correct?

You can get 2nd tier support at AT&T and they will tell you to reset, but if you have already done that they will probably tell you to exchange it. Either way you are going to have to add all your apps back, so I would do what Paul said and add apps back one at a time and see what happens that way.

kineticwave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you auto reinstall all the old apps that we on there before? You need to add them slowly to see if it is a software issue.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

No, I didn't auto-reinstall my apps.

Also, from what you said, it sounded like you were having the lag and issues before updating to Jelly Bean, correct?

You can get 2nd tier support at AT&T and they will tell you to reset, but if you have already done that they will probably tell you to exchange it. Either way you are going to have to add all your apps back, so I would do what Paul said and add apps back one at a time and see what happens that way.

I've gone to Rogers to try to see if they could fix my issue. The tech said that my texting lag was caused by having predictive and continuous text on, so he turned it off. And that made texting a lot less fun. And he told me that the phone would lag because it's "working hard", even after clearing the RAM.

locote25

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Touchwiz is the main cause of your lag. Look, I would root, then install a custom ROM(CM10 based preferably), then a kernel that allows over clock and under volt.... that way u save battery. Mine has Hellfire custom ROM, I am overclocked to 1.6 GHz and undervolting has led to this battery life

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355710026421.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355710026421.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 68

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol