Thinking about installing a 4.4.2 rom on AT&T S3

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Would you guys recommend rooting and flashing a rom for the s3? I don't want to wait for AT&T to finally give us 4.4 kit kat so I was thinking about flashing a rom. I do realize this would void my warranty. Is it worth it? What are your thoughts on roms?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: thinking about installing a 4.4.2 rom on s3

Would you guys recommend rooting and flashing a rom for the s3? I don't want to wait for AT&T to finally give us 4.4 kit kat so I was thinking about flashing a rom. I do realize this would void my warranty. Is it worth it? What are your thoughts on roms?

Posted via Android Central App
yes, you could root your device !! I have upgraded mine to the cynaogen nighly mode and its awesome .... as smasung touch wiz is too heavy but cynogen is purely Android takes up less space ....

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Read as much as you can and watch videos on this subject. It is something that is a really personal decision on what you want to be able to do on your phone. Compare pros and cons on both the TW rom that runs on the SGS3 stock and the abilities it provides and the more streamlined roms available out there. Read the forums here and the xda forums are really good. Decide comparing on the other types of roms, some TW based roms include some of the features you may want while a cyanogenmod type rom which is more of a vanilla android style system that may provide what you need and want.I run quantum v2 that is a cyanogenmod based rom, I personally like it ( only been running it 2 weeks ) and it is very stable. I don't endorse any rom because you might hate the one I like. Anyway read the forums it'll provide the best info base for you.

tim horton

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

I have tried CM11 4.4.2 nightly for a few days. It ran pretty good for most part. I absolutely hated the dialer. I would be just looking at the contacts and tried to edit and weed out some duplicates. It just started to dial out and there is no easy way to stop the dialing. Just for that I have to go back to 4.1.2. I may try a 4.3 rom and see how it is.

shawn.selig29

May 19, 2013
Visit site

I just loaded my first custom rom on my i747, Quantum v3.25 , got to say after been using it for a day, it is more smoother then the stock 4.3! and of course its nice knowing i have the latest andriod version now (4.4.2) only hi-cups i encountered was the camera says it cant connect sometimes, a reboot seems to fix the issue, and it seems to be a known issue according to others on xda. But id still recommend this over the stock as it has no bloat and its faster.

edit: and according to someone on xda, "My camera did the same thing. After a reboot, I force stopped, and cleared data on the app and that seemed to have fixed it for me. I hope this helps."

Last edited:

phil737

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I have tried CM11 4.4.2 nightly for a few days. It ran pretty good for most part. I absolutely hated the dialer. I would be just looking at the contacts and tried to edit and weed out some duplicates. It just started to dial out and there is no easy way to stop the dialing. Just for that I have to go back to 4.1.2. I may try a 4.3 rom and see how it is.

I flashed CM11 Snapshot M2 and was very happy with it as a daily driver, but I also hated the KitKat dialer. I installed SwipeDialer Pro from the Play Store and now I'm REALLY happy with CM11!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs