How To Root AT&T Galaxy S3

bluegti02

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Well I've officially got the slim and sexy Galaxy S III from AT&T. Its a work phone but I would like to root it. I am very technically but have never done anything technical with Androids. I am looking for tutorial on how to root and unroot my device so I can use some apps but be able to put it back to stock if I had to since it is a work phone.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

jdclay3900

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: How To Root S III

I am with you. I think the best would be to look over general "before you root guides" until phone specific content comes out. Also, it is probably not the best idea to root the phone until a method comes out to return the phone to stock. Oh btw, I am also a first time phone rooter!! Rooted my kindle fire and turned a non usable device into a serious ipad competitor. Definitely sold on rooting.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Here is a link to a straight forward method of rooting the S3. I have used it on my phone successfully. Just take care to do the rebooting with the proper buttons held down as the 3rd reboot is different than the first two reboots.Thanks to all the folks involved in the working this out. And as always, rooting your phone is done at YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I give a +100,000 to the comment of being cautious when there is currently no "Restore to Stock" option available in the event of bricks or borked devices....

Proceed with caution my friends.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Just to echo what Paul said, you have no escape plan. Proceed with caution. Sure, it's going to be a thrill, sort of like putting your house on red 7 in Atlantic City. However, if something goes awry, the chances of you being able to get a "free" replacement from ATT is up there with the Cubs winning a world series.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I give a +100,000 to the comment of being cautious when there is currently no "Restore to Stock" option available in the event of bricks or borked devices....

Proceed with caution my friends.

Paul, I believe the method at XDA for the ATT Galaxy S III restores to stock a failed root attempt (i.e. trying to root an ATT S II with a non-US version method). And then let's you root correctly.

bluegti02

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Wow first off thank you everyone for the replies. There is nothing like the people in the Android community. What everyone has said makes complete sense and I may wait a little for more details and information. I know rooting is a risky biz and the warnings are rightfully slow which is why I wanted to do some research and ask here before taking it on myself. Thanks again for everyone's replys and cataloochee, hang in there. Its totally worth the wait! :)

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Just to echo what Paul said, you have no escape plan. Proceed with caution. Sure, it's going to be a thrill, sort of like putting your house on red 7 in Atlantic City. However, if something goes awry, the chances of you being able to get a "free" replacement from ATT is up there with the Cubs winning a world series.
Ouch!

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Can I use this rooting with the AT&T GS #?

No it is for the international model i9100. My mistake. You need to use the XDA method which has separate files for AT&T, Sprint, and T-mobil otherwise the steps to root are the same. And an incorrect installation will default you back to factory stock from my limited experience.

Last edited:

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm an obvious noob here and won't even have my GS3 till Aug but........

whats the advantage of rooting?

As you can tell tell by my screen name, I've a BB user (for years) and will be kind of new to android. I actually spent 3 months with an HTC Vivid and loved it, but went back. Can't wait for the GS3.
I'll be staying this time.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I really want to root, and get rid of touchwiz, however I'll wait until their is a way out in case of failure.

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Well I've officially got the slim and sexy Galaxy S III from AT&T. Its a work phone but I would like to root it. I am very technically but have never done anything technical with Androids. I am looking for tutorial on how to root and unroot my device so I can use some apps but be able to put it back to stock if I had to since it is a work phone.

Thanks!
A quick glance at the forum would have answered your question and kept you from posting this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...-how-root-without-tripping-flash-counter.html

apennismightier

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Here is a link to a straight forward method of rooting the S3. I have used it on my phone successfully. Just take care to do the rebooting with the proper buttons held down as the 3rd reboot is different than the first two reboots.Thanks to all the folks involved in the working this out. And as always, rooting your phone is done at YOUR OWN RISK.

This guide doesn't specify a model. I need one for i747.

NicoleW78

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Monkeyinpudding

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

HEY ALL.
I'm new to posting, but I really need help with rooting/unrooting/resetting the binary counter on the 1747. I thought it worked like an iPhone, so needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed. So, as of now, is there a way to reset the counter? And how do I go about 'unrooting' my phone?

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

HEY ALL.
I'm new to posting, but I really need help with rooting/unrooting/resetting the binary counter on the 1747. I thought it worked like an iPhone, so needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed. So, as of now, is there a way to reset the counter? And how do I go about 'unrooting' my phone?

as the video states it could be potentially dangerous
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesB1Op0VGk[/YT]

do some reading before you attempt

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1