ATT ota update this morning, will it break root?

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I received an update this morning however as I am rooted as most of us here are, I needed to know if this'll break my root/brick my phone? I don't know how to by pass it and it constantly pops up to notify me that I need to update... Help please! Thanks!

lethalinjectionj

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
its never a good idea to accept an OTA update on a rooted phone. especially with a custom recovery. it could either fail harmlessly, put you in a fixable bootloop. or make your fancy shiny phone the worlds most expensive paper weight.

lethalinjectionj

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
no problem. and its always a good idea to ask someone on here if you have any doubts. if you question what youre doing its usually not a good idea to go through with it until you have verification

dizzyrickyb

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I accepted the ota and it updated the newer version and put back the stock recovery. It did not brick my phone luckily. I was able to reroot and put back cwm recovery as well. I am new to the galaxy s3 so I wasn't sure what would happen. But all was well thankfully!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

SHO_ONE#IM

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've uprooted and installed the new update... Now I can't connect to my gps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Trigger73

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I updated while rooted did not effect anything but I did have to re root my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted and on stock recovery accepting the ota will break root but will update providing you haven't removed the required bloat.

Accepting the ota with custom recovery will cause the ota to fail but will not brick the phone.

Many rooted people on ROM's they like, don't want the ota but are bothered by the constant ota notifications. They purposely accept the ota and let it try to install because once it tries and fails, you won't get any movie notifications.

Don't fall for the myth that accepting an ota while on custom recovery will brick your phone. Maybe on HTC phones but not on the GS3.

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted and on stock recovery accepting the ota will break root but will update providing you haven't removed the required bloat.

Accepting the ota with custom recovery will cause the ota to fail but will not brick the phone.

Many rooted people on ROM's they like, don't want the ota but are bothered by the constant ota notifications. They purposely accept the ota and let it try to install because once it tries and fails, you won't get any movie notifications.

Don't fall for the myth that accepting an ota while on custom recovery will brick your phone. Maybe on HTC phones but not on the GS3.

Thank you I was wondering about this since I don't want any ota because I'm happily on cm10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@Skunkape60 I don't have a custom rom. All I've done is root and use my Titanium Backup in case I ever decided to flash a rom. I don't care about the root I will just be happy to have jelly bean. Is it safe to accept the firmware upgrade?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad