Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

How long should the "download mode" last?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  
    Retired Ambassador

It's you are flashing the cwm recovery, the flash itself takes less than 20 seconds. But it will remain in download mode until you disconnect the phone and pull out the battery. It won't leave download mode on its own.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

What am i missing. I don't see the recovery.tar file
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob1 View Post
    What am i missing. I don't see the recovery.tar file
    Where are you looking for it. It is supposed to be downloaded to your computer. Not your phone.

The link name is:
    recovery-clockwork-touch
    The file name is:
    Recovery.tar.md5 is the file name.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-07-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Where are you looking for it. It is supposed to be downloaded to your computer. Not your phone.

The link name is:
    recovery-clockwork-touch
    The file name is:
    Recovery.tar.md5 is the file name.
    I thought that file was in the Odin folder.

The recovery-clockwork- Touch-6.0.1.4 link isn't working. is there another download location?

i do have a recovery.img file
    Last edited by spartanrob1; 11-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  
    Retired Ambassador

I thought that file was in the Odin folder.

The recovery-clockwork- Touch-6.0.1.4 link isn't working. is there another download location?

i do have a recovery.img file
    You have recovery.img because you unzipped the tar file. Do not unzip the tar file.

You have recovery.img because you unzipped the tar file. Do not unzip the tar file.
    Sorry for my stupidity, but I never had a tar file. I do have a 'recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.4-d2att.img' file. The link to the recovery file in the first post isn't working so i got this somewhere else.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  
    Retired Ambassador

Sorry for my stupidity, but I never had a tar file. I do have a 'recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.4-d2att.img' file. The link to the recovery file in the first post isn't working so i got this somewhere else.
    The link is working for me. I just downloaded it.
    Thanked by:

Thanks (and sorry) got it to work on a different browser.

I'm successfully Rooted. Thank you !
    Last edited by spartanrob1; 11-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Retired Ambassador

Thanks (and sorry) got it to work on a different browser.

I'm successfully Rooted. Thank you !
    No problem... glad you got it...

ROM
    Rooted

Will this work if my phone is encrypted? My company encrypts our phones and I don't think I am able to decrypt it.

Thanks
    Bob
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  
    Retired Ambassador

While I really don't know the answer to this, most companies do not allow their phones to be rooted. I will see if I can find your answer. Check back later after I've had a little time to look and ask.

ROM
    Rooted

All set thanks. I had to remove my account (exchange). This enabled me to decrypt my phone to where I did not have to enter a password to boot the phone. I then did a factory reset to remove the rest of the encryption.

The phone is mine, my company pushes a GPO once you set up email to sync with Exchange.

Bob
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by rborelli View Post
    All set thanks. I had to remove my account (exchange). This enabled me to decrypt my phone to where I did not have to enter a password to boot the phone. I then did a factory reset to remove the rest of the encryption.

The phone is mine, my company pushes a GPO once you set up email to sync with Exchange.

Bob
    Thanks for the info. Now I know the answer for next time.

ROM
    Rooted

I just went through the step-by-step process and it worked great! took about 5 minutes. I can't thank you enough for this guide. I'm not sure if you share it on other sites but I have been looking for a root guide for a while and this is by far the best!! thanks again.

Bob
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  
    Retired Ambassador

Thanks for the kind words. I do have it posted on the team venum website as well. I was thinking of putting it on xda but they already have the same method posted there but just not put together the same.
    Thanked by:
    winmod21 likes this.

1st i would like thanks for your hard work . Getting tired of damn iphone i just switch to at&t S3 so far love this baby. My S3 ship unde base band I747UCLH9 can i use this tutor to root my S3 . The reason i ask cause i read some thread mention the old base band only

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Hiya Skunkape60,

RE: 3 WEEK OLD NOOB, moving closer to jumping-off the edge . . .

I've only had Android for 3 weeks, but just wanted to thank you in advance for all the great work you've put into these clear & concise rooting (and un-rooting) method guide(s)that after reading thru them a few timeshave helped me to reach a decision to root. It's also encouraging & comforting to see that you're so helpful and present with following thru and keeping links updated with latest versions/files. I hope this forum and it's member's send you the degree of thanks & appreciation, Skunkape60, that you so clearly deserve.

Just want to read some more... and try to figure-out which ROM ... for a few more days. I guess I'm mostly pretty happy with the stock AT&T TW UI, just as it is now.

. . btw, this somewhat gives me the same feeling and reminds me of the first time I jumped off a mountain with my new 18' delta-wing hang glider.

. . and, of course this post wouldn't be complete without a Total Noobish question:
    How is a noob... supposed to figure-out which custom ROM to flash? The saying there's practically as many custom ROMs as there are android devices sure seems to ring very true!
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Tigertle View Post
    1st i would like thanks for your hard work . Getting tired of damn iphone i just switch to at&t S3 so far love this baby. My S3 ship unde base band I747UCLH9 can i use this tutor to root my S3 . The reason i ask cause i read some thread mention the old base band only
    Yes this method will work on your AT&T phone regardless of what android version you are on. This root method does not touch the baseband. all you are doing is flashing a custom recovery and installing superuser and busybox. Both are really just apps that have to be installed in the system apps folder. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 11-08-2012 at 10:47 PM.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by fr3GStoGS3 View Post
    Hiya Skunkape60,

RE: 3 WEEK OLD NOOB, moving closer to jumping-off the edge . . .

I've only had Android for 3 weeks, but just wanted to thank you in advance for all the great work you've put into these clear & concise rooting (and un-rooting) method guide(s)that after reading thru them a few timeshave helped me to reach a decision to root. It's also encouraging & comforting to see that you're so helpful and present with following thru and keeping links updated with latest versions/files. I hope this forum and it's member's send you the degree of thanks & appreciation, Skunkape60, that you so clearly deserve.

Just want to read some more... and try to figure-out which ROM ... for a few more days. I guess I'm mostly pretty happy with the stock AT&T TW UI, just as it is now.

. . btw, this somewhat gives me the same feeling and reminds me of the first time I jumped off a mountain with my new 18' delta-wing hang glider.

. . and, of course this post wouldn't be complete without a Total Noobish question:
    How is a noob... supposed to figure-out which custom ROM to flash? The saying there's practically as many custom ROMs as there are android devices sure seems to ring very true!
    That is a good question. But being a nube, I would stick to trying the TW roms first. When you feel more comfortable you can start flashing the CM and ASOP roms. Here is another guide for you to read. I hope it helps.I made it for the sprint guys but it works the exact same for the AT&T version. One thing I would like to stress. DO NOT FLASH A ROM NOT MADE FOR THE AT&T GS3!!

How To Flash In Custom Recovery
    Thanked by:
    ardew 

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

That is a good question. But being a nube, I would stick to trying the TW roms first. When you feel more comfortable you can start flashing the CM and ASOP roms. Here is another guide for you to read. I hope it helps.I made it for the sprint guys but it works the exact same for the AT&T version. One thing I would like to stress. DO NOT FLASH A ROM NOT MADE FOR THE AT&T GS3!!

How To Flash In Custom Recovery
    Thanks for that, Skunkape60. :-) Yes, I would never think of flashing anything not specifically for at&t gs3. ;-)
    Just curious, what do you think of the current SuperOneClick and Revo methods? I don't know anything about them, but whilst browsing at barnes & noble the other night I noticed they both get noted quite a bit as examples in various android magazines; are they mainly popular, globally, no matter the carrier?

Notwithstanding, I'm going with your method(s), and I'm looking forward to the additional reading material, so thanks again.

Do i need to unzip the file Team Epic. When i select ext SD it display E:fail to mount /SD card.thx . Do i need start over again to install recovery. Thanks
    Last edited by Tigertle; 11-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  
    Retired Ambassador

Do i need to unzip the file Team Epic. When i select ext SD it display E:fail to mount /SD card.thx . Do i need start over again to install recovery. Thanks
    Files flashed in recovery should always remain zipped. Your problem is your sd card is formatted as exfat file system and recovery doesn't read exfat. Therefore it can't mount your sdcard. You have 2 choices

1. Reformat your external sdcard with fat32 file system and start from scratch. Be sure to back everything up as this will delete everything on your card.

2. Move team epic root from recovery from your external sdcard to your internal sdcard and start the whole process from scratch.

Files flashed in recovery should always remain zipped. Your problem is your sd card is formatted as exfat file system and recovery doesn't read exfat. Therefore it can't mount your sdcard. You have 2 choices

1. Reformat your external sdcard with fat32 file system and start from scratch. Be sure to back everything up as this will delete everything on your card.

2. Move team epic root from recovery from your external sdcard to your internal sdcard and start the whole process from scratch.
    Thanks for the quick reply one more thing my SD is 64 meg will it read on the recovery mode. If i place the file to intenal card what folder should i place or just at main dir.
    I try to remove the SD card and place the file on the down load folder push to recovery mode what function should i select i select the one on the bottom menu but it did not see either.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  
    Retired Ambassador

Thanks for the quick reply one more thing my SD is 64 meg will it read on the recovery mode. If i place the file to intenal card what folder should i place or just at main dir.
    I try to remove the SD card and place the file on the down load folder push to recovery mode what function should i select i select the one on the bottom menu but it did not see either.
    1. Yes you can put team epic zip in the main directory of the internal card. The easiest way to do this is to start your phone and let it boot. Go to where it is on the ext sdcard and copy and paste it to the internal sd card. Once done, shut down phone and remove the battery cover from the phone.

In Odin and uncheck auto reboot. Check the pda box and click on the pds button. Browse to where you put the recovery tar file. Odin will check the md5 and when finished it will show up in the box to the right of pda. When all of this is finished.

Put your phone in download mode by pressing and holding volume down, power and home buttons simultaneously. The phone will go to a warning. Release all 3 buttons and then press volume up. Now you're in download mode.

Plug your phone into your computer using you usb cable. When you see com and a number in the com box, Odin has recognized you phone and you can press start.

When finished (it shouldn't take more than 10-15 seconds) remove your battery and unplug your phone.

Reinstall your battery and go into recovery mode. Volume UP, power and home simultaneously. Release as soon as you see the word Samsung on your screen. If you are you later and you phone boots all the way and doesn't go into recovery you will have to start over.

In recovery select install zip, then choose zip from internal or external sdcsrd. Find team epic and choose it. When done you will be able to restart your phone.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast