Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 213
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #101  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Expydude View Post
    Quick question I had nandroids of different ROMs on my external SD card when I went back to stock, updated via kies to jellybean and re-rooted. If I wanted to use those nandroids would they work or could they have been corrupted and I should get rid of them

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    They will work fine as long as you are using the same recovery that made them. Backups made with CWM will not be able to be restored with TWRP.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  2. #102  

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Will this work with 4.1.1 or is root software specific like jb on iPhone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #103  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    Will this work with 4.1.1 or is root software specific like jb on iPhone?
    This will work on any AT&T gs3, regardless of the software version.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  4. #104  
    rborelli's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Is it possible to root (steps 1-8) without flashing the recovery rom? Or will that muck things up?

    Bob
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #105  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by rborelli View Post
    Is it possible to root (steps 1-8) without flashing the recovery rom? Or will that muck things up?

    Bob
    No it's not. You have to have custom recovery to flash the Team Epic Root From Recovery zip file.

    However, I can probably edit the zip file so during the 2nd reboot of your phone, stock recovery will be rewritten to your phone. But that will have to wait until I get off work to do it and test it.

    If I can't get it to work. I will try and find the stock recovery zip that you can flash that will restore your factory recovery.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  6. #106  
    rborelli's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    No worries. It was asked to me and I didn't know the answer. Thanks for the info.

    Bob
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #107  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by rborelli View Post
    No worries. It was asked to me and I didn't know the answer. Thanks for the info.

    Bob
    There are also other root methods that flash a rooted stock images to your phone that won't change your recovery. However you will have to find one that has been updated to jelly bean our you will go back to the version that the image was made from. If it is a stock tar, you should be able to still update it issuing an app called rootkeeper. It enables you to save your root so if you lose root during the update, it can restore it with a simple tap of your finger.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  8. #108  
    rborelli's Avatar

    Posts
    10 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    I'll let him know. I like CM10 myself. He was worried about the whole AT&T warranty thing. I showed him Triangle away and the unrooting link but I think the whole thing scares him.

    Bob
  9. #109  

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    skunkape thanks for the instructions to root. I did it before 4.1 came out for att. Then I went back to stock. Now I see there is a cm10.1 out for the gs3. will the same instructions work for rooting the phone for 4.2? also have you tried 4.2 for gs3? and how is it cause i want to use it for the gs3
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #110  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatonks1013 View Post
    skunkape thanks for the instructions to root. I did it before 4.1 came out for att. Then I went back to stock. Now I see there is a cm10.1 out for the gs3. will the same instructions work for rooting the phone for 4.2? also have you tried 4.2 for gs3? and how is it cause i want to use it for the gs3
    Haven't used 4.2. Not very fond of cm anyway. Very boring if you ask me. This guide should work fine on any current version out at this point in time. I don't see this not working in any future version either.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  11. #111  

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    is there something other than cm and stock? THanks
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #112  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatonks1013 View Post
    is there something other than cm and stock? THanks
    Cm and stock based yes. That's all there will probably ever be. Some of the stock based are very customized. Wicked sensations is a very customizable Rom. But all roms are based off either stock or aosp (cm). Aosp (cm) strip all added functions from the gs3. While stock based provide a customizations while preserving the gs3's functionality.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  13. #113  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Slightly off topic...but I noticed [SGSIII][Sprint] Android Central Rom and Kernel Library Is there a non-carrier specific library somewhere that I'm missing? I have a i747 (Bell Mobility) and was wondering what else was out there besides Paranoid Android.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #114  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Slightly off topic...but I noticed [SGSIII][Sprint] Android Central Rom and Kernel Library Is there a non-carrier specific library somewhere that I'm missing? I have a i747 (Bell Mobility) and was wondering what else was out there besides Paranoid Android.
    No there isn't. You want them separated because flashing a Rom built for a different carrier results in a guaranteed brick. If they were combined, I guarantee that there would be more bricks than they are now. Why do you think every reputable android site divides the gs3 forums by carrier? The answer is simple. They want to minimize risks.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  15. #115  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,879 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Ok well too bad...might have to start a new thread and see what I can come up with then. I figured as much with regards to flashing a different carrier's ROM, just wanted to make sure.
    Last edited by sledge007; 12-22-2012 at 10:29 AM.
  16. #116  
    sbs8331's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    I've tried this a few times with my AT&T S3, model SGH-1747 running 4.0.4. I am never able to get Odin to complete. I get a "FAIL!" message with the following in the message box:
    • <ID:0/005> File analysis..
    • <ID:0/005> Setup connection..
    • <ID:0/005> Initialization..
    • <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    • <ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    • <OSM> All threads completed. (success 0 / failed 1)


    Can guidance be provided in resolving this issue? Do I need to download drivers? If so, Samsung had 3 selections for my model:
    1. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747MBNATT
    2. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747RWBATT
    3. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747ZRBATT


    How do I know which one model to select? The serial number on the back of the phone has "MB" several spaces after the initial number, so would that indicate the first one above?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be rendered.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #117  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs8331 View Post
    I've tried this a few times with my AT&T S3, model SGH-1747 running 4.0.4. I am never able to get Odin to complete. I get a "FAIL!" message with the following in the message box:
    • <ID:0/005> File analysis..
    • <ID:0/005> Setup connection..
    • <ID:0/005> Initialization..
    • <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    • <ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    • <OSM> All threads completed. (success 0 / failed 1)


    Can guidance be provided in resolving this issue? Do I need to download drivers? If so, Samsung had 3 selections for my model:
    1. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747MBNATT
    2. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747RWBATT
    3. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747ZRBATT


    How do I know which one model to select? The serial number on the back of the phone has "MB" several spaces after the initial number, so would that indicate the first one above?

    Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be rendered.
    The one in the kit should work. But if it isn't working then you should give it a try with different set of drivers.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  18. #118  
    sbs8331's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    The one in the kit should work. But if it isn't working then you should give it a try with different set of drivers.
    I tried the drivers on this site and from Samsung. Same result.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #119  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs8331 View Post
    I tried the drivers on this site and from Samsung. Same result.
    Try a different cable. Try a different computer.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  20. #120  
    sbs8331's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Try a different cable. Try a different computer.
    Just dId. Same result. Must be something with the phone. Oh, well...
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #121  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by sbs8331 View Post
    Just dId. Same result. Must be something with the phone. Oh, well...
    Have you tried to re download the zip files?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  22. #122  
    sbs8331's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Have you tried to re download the zip files?
    Yes, a couple of times on my original pc and again when I changed pcs.

    UPDATE: I discovered my error. I had connected the cable via a wired mini-hub. I connected directly to the PC hub and was able to root.
    Last edited by sbs8331; 12-27-2012 at 04:55 PM.
  23. #123  
    D16RR's Avatar

    Posts
    261 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Thanks for the great write up. I saw there can be an issue with the formatting of the external SD card. I have some old thing that came out of a Blackberry. Would it make sense to put the zip file on both internal and external memory just in case there is an issue? I'm not hurting for space.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #124  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by BBrefugee View Post
    Thanks for the great write up. I saw there can be an issue with the formatting of the external SD card. I have some old thing that came out of a Blackberry. Would it make sense to put the zip file on both internal and external memory just in case there is an issue? I'm not hurting for space.
    Most likely the sdcard is fine unless it's larger than 32gb. But yes, you can put the the team epic zip file on either.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
    D16RR 
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #125  
    Skunkape60's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,518 Posts

    Default Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

    Quote Originally Posted by Expydude View Post
    Quick question I had nandroids of different ROMs on my external SD card when I went back to stock, updated via kies to jellybean and re-rooted. If I wanted to use those nandroids would they work or could they have been corrupted and I should get rid of them

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    As long as you are using the same recovery you are fine with your nandroids. However twrp won't restore backups made with cwm. And cwm won't restore twrp backups.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [How-To] Root the AT&T Galaxy S II
    By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum AT&T Galaxy S II
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
  2. How to get mms pictures on samsung galaxy s3 flash boost mobile
    By blackmeat4u in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
  3. How to get mms pictures on samsung galaxy s3 flash boost mobile
    By blackmeat4u in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM
  4. How To Root the Samsung Galaxy S 4G
    By MattMJB0188 in forum T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM
  5. [GUIDE] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 [Video Walkthroug
    By R3Z in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 10-inch
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions