How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Well it also force closes whatever app is open, so it's a little more annoying than just the notifications.

To go back to your original superuser and binaries you won't have to go through the process over. All you would have to do is reflash "team epic root from recovery" in recovery.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
So my provider has updated to JellyBean. OTA wouldn't work because I didn't have the stock recovery. I updated using ODIN and now I'm back at stock recovery and no root. I assumed I'd lose root but I'm surprised I'm back at stock recovery.

Can I just repeat this method and get CWM and root back now that I'm on stock JB?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So my provider has updated to JellyBean. OTA wouldn't work because I didn't have the stock recovery. I updated using ODIN and now I'm back at stock recovery and no root. I assumed I'd lose root but I'm surprised I'm back at stock recovery.

Can I just repeat this method and get CWM and root back now that I'm on stock JB?

Yes this would be fine. This method will work on Jellybean.

NuNAK67

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I just updated to the official release of jelly bean and was rooted before. After updating I lost root and tried re-rooting using this method but it failed twice. What am I doing wrong?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I just updated to the official release of jelly bean and was rooted before. After updating I lost root and tried re-rooting using this method but it failed twice. What am I doing wrong?

Most common mistake is missing recovery. If you let the phone boot after flashing recovery in Odin you will have to start over. That's why you need to pull the battery after you flash in Odin. Then boot into cwm recovery and flash team epic root from recovery which should already be on your sdcard storage.

NuNAK67

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Most common mistake is missing recovery. If you let the phone boot after flashing recovery in Odin you will have to start over. That's why you need to pull the battery after you flash in Odin. Then boot into cwm recovery and flash team epic root from recovery which should already be on your sdcard storage.

Nevermind. For some reason it worked. Thanks for responding. I am rooted again =)

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmm im a little confused. I have the recovery in odin but when I start the process of flashing the recovery it fails in odin. It used to work before I got at&t's jelly bean. Im doing everything the same but it fails in odin. Sorry I dont think I worded it right the first time.

Are you using the same file as before or did you redownload it? If you redownloaded it, it may Dee a bad download. Have you tried removing and reinstalling your drivers?

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I used your method to unroot so I can get official jelly bean once I do that will the team epic root from recovery work to root again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I used your method to unroot so I can get official jelly bean once I do that will the team epic root from recovery work to root again?

Yes it will but you will also have to reflash cwm recovery with Odin as well.

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Cool so I can use the files on my pc or should I dl again that's what I used to root the first time with Odin 3.4 or should I use 3.7

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Cool so I can use the files on my pc or should I dl again that's what I used to root the first time with Odin 3.4 or should I use 3.7

It wouldn't hurt to get up to date if you aren't already... as far as Odin. I can't tell any difference between the 2.

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I just got me an S3 today, updated to Jelly Bean, and successfully rooted using the instructions. Done in less than 10 minutes :)

curious12

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me what happens once you follow these steps? **I AM NOT A NOOB** when it comes to tech, but this is my 1st Android-based phone (Samsung S3 with AT&T I747). For fun, I followed the instructions here and got it to work. I also used the tool to load the new 4.1 operating system. But unlike Jailbreaking an iPhone, I have no idea what benefits I got from following these instructions?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyone here who came from a Palm OS device, and was a user of the Pimlico Datebk calendar app? I'm using Datebk on a Treo, and it's my most important app by far. (I live and die by my calendar.)

Can anyone tell me how the calendar on the Hero compares in capabilities? I'm particularly interested in how it handles (or doesn't) floating events, repeating events, and alarms.

Many thanks,

Bob

1. You can now remove unwanted programs that were not removable before.
2. You can flash mods, custom roms and kernels.
3. Install and use apps that require root such as titanium backup.

These are a few things you can do. But remember, now that you have root access, you can also break your phone. NEVER FLASH ANYTHING UNLESS IT IS MADE FOR YOUR PHONE AND YOUR CARRIER.

curious12

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I use my Samsung Galaxy WITHOUT a data plan even though it's an AT&T phone. My whole goal of following the instructions here is to update to the newest OS (Jelly Bean 4.1?). Is that what this will allow me to do? Also a jail broken iPhone has Cydia and 3rd party apps that may otherwise be blocked by Apple. Does having a root access to my phone unlock such capabilities?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I use my Samsung Galaxy WITHOUT a data plan even though it's an AT&T phone. My whole goal of following the instructions here is to update to the newest OS (Jelly Bean 4.1?). Is that what this will allow me to do? Also a jail broken iPhone has Cydia and 3rd party apps that may otherwise be blocked by Apple. Does having a root access to my phone unlock such capabilities?

Rooting will not enable you to download unauthorized apps. You can already do that without rooting your phone. Go to system menu and enable unknown sources.

You could most likely update your phone without rooting as well. You should be able to update your phone using Samsung kies and a Wi-Fi cook connection.

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Quick question I had nandroids of different ROMs on my external SD card when I went back to stock, updated via kies to jellybean and re-rooted. If I wanted to use those nandroids would they work or could they have been corrupted and I should get rid of them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2