How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
[WARN]
Android Central and Skunkape60 are not responsible for your phone. This is for the AT&T GS3 ONLY!! By Using this guide you are assuming all the risks.​
[/WARN]

Hi, I made this How to Root guide for the Sprint GS3. However after changing a few files it also works with the AT&T Galaxy S3. It has been verified to work on the AT&T version. I wish you Great success and HAPPY Flashing!

Skunk

Rooting the AT&T Galaxy S3 couldn't be easier. With just a half hour and a few steps, you could be rooted and on your way. All files required are included in this guide.

[NOTE]Your Samsung Drivers MUST be installed correctly on your computer prior to continuing.

Wait until the software installs completely before plugging your device into the computer. When you have completed driver installation, plug in your device. The computer should now tell you it is installing drivers, click on the details and wait until there is a green check by all the drivers. Unplugging your device before it's complete will cause you problems...

[NOTE]
Attention Windows 8 Users: The drivers below are updated to work on Windows 8. If you have upgraded to Windows 8, installed these drivers and they still won't work, you will have to install the drivers in compatibility mode. [/NOTE]

GS3 Drivers Download and install on your computer.[/NOTE]

Preparing your computer
You will need to download the following files to your desktop or notebook computer. Just click on the file names and that should download the file required. I would suggest you make a folder on your desktop and name it something like Root GS3. Odin3.07.zip recovery-clockwork- Touch-6.0.2.3 After downloading the above files to your computer: 1. double click on the "Odin 3.07 zip". Copy the "Odin307" folder (That is inside the zip file) into your "Root GS3" folder. 2. Move "recovery.tar" into the Root GS3 Folder

Preparing your Phone
Download the following file and place it on the root of either the internal or external SdCard. I prefer the external as that is where cwm defaults to. Team Epic Root From Recovery

[NOTE]Phone should be off prior to attempting to go into Download or Recovery Modes.[/NOTE]

[NOTE]
Download mode is achieved by pressing and holding "volume down, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. You will continue to hold all 3 buttons until you see a warning. Then press the volume up button and you will be in download mode.
[/NOTE]

[TIP] Recovery mode is a bit trickier. If you're a second too early or too late, your phone will skip going into recovery and boot normally. If this happens you will have to repeat the Odin process in it's entirety. So unless you are familiar with this, I would give it a few practice runs before starting Odin [/TIP]

[NOTE]Recovery mode is achieved pressing and holding "volume UP, power button and the (physical) home button simultaneously. Watching the screen closely, release all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung. If timed correctly it will boot into recovery in about 10-20 seconds (after releasing). Remember if you are too early or late the phone will boot normally and skip recovery.
[/NOTE]

[INFO]Samsung added 2 files that made rooting just different enough to make us change the way we do things.

/system/ect/install-recovery.sh & /system/recovery-from-boot.p

What these 2 files did, caused the phone to look for stock recovery every time the phone was booted. If stock recovery was not found it was re-installed.

The TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery -v5. file was created by TeamEpic to not only install superuser and busybox, it also removes those 2 files that Samsung gave us. Because of the way those files wipe the custom recovery, The Root From Recovery file must be installed before the 1st boot up. This is why we now have to turn off auto reboot in Odin and pull the battery from the phone. [/INFO]

Using Odin
1. Open the "Odin307" folder and right click on "Odin3 v3.07.exe" and choose run as administrator. Odin will open. 2. Remove battery cover from phone for future access 3. Place your phone into download mode. See above Download note. 4. Plug your usb cord to your phone and computer and wait until you see any number and com in the com block 5. Click on the PDA button and browse to "recovery.tar.md5" in your Root GS3 Folder. 6. Verify that both Auto Reboot and F. Rest Time are UNCHECKED. When all this is done Odin should look like this:
Odin%20Start.jpg
7. If everything is like the picture above click on the start button. It should move very quickly as recovery is a small file. It is normally completed within 10-20 seconds (depending on the speed of your computer and usb port). This is what Odin should look like when complete.
Odin%20Complete.jpg
[NOTE]Sometimes Odin will not show "PASS!" in the top left corner. So observe the message window as well. If it shows "All Threads completed (Succeed 1 / Failed 0) you should be fine.[/NOTE] 8. Remove Battery and disconnect phone from computer.

Flashing Root in Recovery
1. Install battery 2. Place your phone into Recovery Mode. See above Recovery note. [INFO]The Recovery that you installed is a touch screen recovery. You will not need use the buttons to navigate through the recovery menus.[/INFO] 3. Once in recovery tap on "install zip from sdcard". 4. Now you will tap either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" 5. Scroll by swyping up and down on screen. Tap on "TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip. 6. Tap on "- Yes - Install TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery -v5. Once complete, tap the "go back" button once and then the "reboot system now" button.

You Are now fully rooted with custom recovery installed.

Last edited:

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you sir. Tried it this morning. I can say everything worked fine. Now to go find a rom that is equally good and smooth like wicked sensations for Sprint.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you sir. Tried it this morning. I can say everything worked fine. Now to go find a rom that is equally good and smooth like wicked sensations for Sprint.

Thanks for trying it. I was pretty sure it would work, I just didn't have a phone to test it out.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Now that your phone is rooted you can reset your custom binary counts (if you would like) by following these simple directions.

[NOTE]Always check your current count state in download mode prior to using triangle away. If what Triangle Away and what is shown in download mode doesn't match, do not proceed.[/NOTE]

You will be will be resetting your phone with an app called triangle away, which has just been updated to support all US versions of the GS3. Click on the link below to download triangle away.

Click here To download Triangle Away
Please thank Chainfiire for developing this great app.

Installation instructions and how to use it are in QBKING77's Video Below.

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Now that your phone is rooted you can reset your custom binary counts (if you would like) by following these simple directions.

[NOTE]Always check your current count state in download mode prior to using triangle away. If what Triangle Away and what is shown in download mode doesn't match, do not proceed.[/NOTE]

You will be will be resetting your phone with an app called triangle away, which has just been updated to support all US versions of the GS3. Click on the link below to download triangle away.

Click here To download Triangle Away
Please thank Chainfiire for developing this great app.

Installation instructions and how to use it are in QBKING77's Video Below.

Cool. Thanks. Resetting the binary count is so that in case your phone gets damage, you can get a new one?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Cool. Thanks. Resetting the binary count is so that in case your phone gets damage, you can get a new one?

Resetting the counts are useful if you are planning to return your phone. Sprint has a policy that states that they will not deny service to those that root unless the rooting can be blamed for the needed repairs.

From my understanding, AT&T on the other hand, will flat out not service, repair or support any phone that has been rooted. So yes, I would recommend clearing your flash counts.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Will a current backup using Klies be ok to restore the phone just in case all heck breaks loose. I have never done this and I afraid as I can be

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Will a current backup using Klies be ok to restore the phone just in case all heck breaks loose. I have never done this and I afraid as I can be

I am currently working on a return to unrooted stock guide. It should be up within a couple of hours. My guides always include direct links to all files necessary to accomplish the tasks.

bigbruise

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Download the following file and place it on the root of either the internal or external SdCard. I prefer the external as that is where cwm defaults to.

Team Epic Root From Recovery]

I'm new to android, but not computer illiterate. I just cant seem to find where I can access the SdCard. I'm in windows explorer on my PC and i cant find the path to the SdCard. I'm assuming I do this step through my PC, correct? Also, I'll be putting it on my internal as the external is currently being shipped to me now. Is that an issue?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to android, but not computer illiterate. I just cant seem to find where I can access the SdCard. I'm in windows explorer on my PC and i cant find the path to the SdCard. I'm assuming I do this step through my PC, correct? Also, I'll be putting it on my internal as the external is currently being shipped to me now. Is that an issue?

If your drivers are already installed the computer should find the phone when you plug it in. Go to my computer. You should see your phone under portable devices. Double click on the phone icon. Now you should see a drive called phone. This is your internal sd. If you had an external sd, there would be two drives here. Right click the teamepic file and choose copy. Right click on the phone drive and choose paste.

Or you can download the file directly to the phone. Then using the my files app on your phone and navagate to download. You should find the file there if you haven't changed the default setting. Press and hold the file you want moved and choose move from the dropdown. navigate to the sd cards root and press done.

Last edited:

bigbruise

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Appreciate the quick response. Also, is this method recommended for models besides a GT-i9300, say a SGH--1747?

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11