How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Scooter625

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Both links are back up and both confirmed working. You can choose the touch or the non touch version.

Ex-BB user here who is no stranger to installing leaked versions of the OS and minor hacking. I really appreciate the clarity of your posts and the fact that you're keeping things fresh as the latest versions come out. AC and xda are great communities when it comes to support for the newb. Running rooted with a stock kernal/ROM on my GS3 but will likely flash Codename Android this weekend which shouldn't be a problem with all the information I'm able to find.

awilliamspharmd

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
CWM-touch defaults to the internal SD, and has the option to use the external one if available. So you should be good. Coming from a galaxy nexus, I honestly thought this would be more difficult to do on this phone. All in all, a piece of cake so far.

do you need an external SdCard? If not, does the cwm just go to the internal?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
CWM-touch defaults to the internal SD, and has the option to use the external one if available. So you should be good. Coming from a galaxy nexus, I honestly thought this would be more difficult to do on this phone. All in all, a piece of cake so far.

Actually the version included allows you to choose...

awilliamspharmd

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I know, i meant choosing "install from SD card" and then the next screen, "choose zip from SD card" are highlighted (what I meant by default) and direct to the internal SD card, whereas he would actually have to choose the external SD card to flash a zip file from there. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's you are flashing the cwm recovery, the flash itself takes less than 20 seconds. But it will remain in download mode until you disconnect the phone and pull out the battery. It won't leave download mode on its own.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
What am i missing. I don't see the recovery.tar file

Where are you looking for it. It is supposed to be downloaded to your computer. Not your phone.

The link name is:
recovery-clockwork-touch
The file name is:
Recovery.tar.md5 is the file name.

Last edited:

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Where are you looking for it. It is supposed to be downloaded to your computer. Not your phone.

The link name is:
recovery-clockwork-touch
The file name is:
Recovery.tar.md5 is the file name.

I thought that file was in the Odin folder.

The recovery-clockwork- Touch-6.0.1.4 link isn't working. is there another download location?

i do have a recovery.img file

Last edited:

spartanrob1

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
You have recovery.img because you unzipped the tar file. Do not unzip the tar file.

Sorry for my stupidity, but I never had a tar file. I do have a 'recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.1.4-d2att.img' file. The link to the recovery file in the first post isn't working so i got this somewhere else.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
While I really don't know the answer to this, most companies do not allow their phones to be rooted. I will see if I can find your answer. Check back later after I've had a little time to look and ask.

rborelli

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
All set thanks. I had to remove my account (exchange). This enabled me to decrypt my phone to where I did not have to enter a password to boot the phone. I then did a factory reset to remove the rest of the encryption.

The phone is mine, my company pushes a GPO once you set up email to sync with Exchange.

Bob

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
All set thanks. I had to remove my account (exchange). This enabled me to decrypt my phone to where I did not have to enter a password to boot the phone. I then did a factory reset to remove the rest of the encryption.

The phone is mine, my company pushes a GPO once you set up email to sync with Exchange.

Bob

Thanks for the info. Now I know the answer for next time.

rborelli

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I just went through the step-by-step process and it worked great! took about 5 minutes. I can't thank you enough for this guide. I'm not sure if you share it on other sites but I have been looking for a root guide for a while and this is by far the best!! thanks again.

Bob