How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words. I do have it posted on the team venum website as well. I was thinking of putting it on xda but they already have the same method posted there but just not put together the same.

Tigertle

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1st i would like thanks for your hard work . Getting tired of damn iphone i just switch to at&t S3 so far love this baby. My S3 ship unde base band I747UCLH9 can i use this tutor to root my S3 . The reason i ask cause i read some thread mention the old base band only

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hiya Skunkape60,

RE: 3 WEEK OLD NOOB, moving closer to jumping-off the edge . . .

I've only had Android for 3 weeks, but just wanted to thank you in advance for all the great work you've put into these clear & concise rooting (and un-rooting) method guide(s)?that after reading thru them a few times?have helped me to reach a decision to root. It's also encouraging & comforting to see that you're so helpful and present with following thru and keeping links updated with latest versions/files. I hope this forum and it's member's send you the degree of thanks & appreciation, Skunkape60, that you so clearly deserve. ;)

Just want to read some more... and try to figure-out which ROM :confused:... for a few more days. I guess I'm mostly pretty happy with the stock AT&T TW UI, just as it is now.

. . btw, this somewhat gives me the same feeling and reminds me of the first time I jumped off a mountain with my new 18' delta-wing hang glider. :-\

. . and, of course this post wouldn't be complete without a Total Noobish question:
How is a noob... supposed to figure-out which custom ROM to flash? The saying? there's practically as many custom ROMs as there are android devices ?sure seems to ring very true!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
1st i would like thanks for your hard work . Getting tired of damn iphone i just switch to at&t S3 so far love this baby. My S3 ship unde base band I747UCLH9 can i use this tutor to root my S3 . The reason i ask cause i read some thread mention the old base band only

Yes this method will work on your AT&T phone regardless of what android version you are on. This root method does not touch the baseband. all you are doing is flashing a custom recovery and installing superuser and busybox. Both are really just apps that have to be installed in the system apps folder. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hiya Skunkape60,

RE: 3 WEEK OLD NOOB, moving closer to jumping-off the edge . . .

I've only had Android for 3 weeks, but just wanted to thank you in advance for all the great work you've put into these clear & concise rooting (and un-rooting) method guide(s)?that after reading thru them a few times?have helped me to reach a decision to root. It's also encouraging & comforting to see that you're so helpful and present with following thru and keeping links updated with latest versions/files. I hope this forum and it's member's send you the degree of thanks & appreciation, Skunkape60, that you so clearly deserve. ;)

Just want to read some more... and try to figure-out which ROM :confused:... for a few more days. I guess I'm mostly pretty happy with the stock AT&T TW UI, just as it is now.

. . btw, this somewhat gives me the same feeling and reminds me of the first time I jumped off a mountain with my new 18' delta-wing hang glider. :-\

. . and, of course this post wouldn't be complete without a Total Noobish question:
How is a noob... supposed to figure-out which custom ROM to flash? The saying? there's practically as many custom ROMs as there are android devices ?sure seems to ring very true!

That is a good question. But being a nube, I would stick to trying the TW roms first. When you feel more comfortable you can start flashing the CM and ASOP roms. Here is another guide for you to read. I hope it helps.I made it for the sprint guys but it works the exact same for the AT&T version. One thing I would like to stress. DO NOT FLASH A ROM NOT MADE FOR THE AT&T GS3!!

How To Flash In Custom Recovery

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That is a good question. But being a nube, I would stick to trying the TW roms first. When you feel more comfortable you can start flashing the CM and ASOP roms. Here is another guide for you to read. I hope it helps.I made it for the sprint guys but it works the exact same for the AT&T version. One thing I would like to stress. DO NOT FLASH A ROM NOT MADE FOR THE AT&T GS3!!

How To Flash In Custom Recovery
Thanks for that, Skunkape60. :) Yes, I would never think of flashing anything not specifically for at&t gs3. ;-)
Just curious, what do you think of the current SuperOneClick and Revo methods? I don't know anything about them, but whilst browsing at barnes & noble the other night I noticed they both get noted quite a bit as examples in various android magazines; are they mainly popular, globally, no matter the carrier?

Notwithstanding, I'm going with your method(s), and I'm looking forward to the additional reading material, so thanks again. ;)

Tigertle

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Do i need to unzip the file Team Epic. When i select ext SD it display E:fail to mount /SD card.thx . Do i need start over again to install recovery. Thanks

Last edited:

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Do i need to unzip the file Team Epic. When i select ext SD it display E:fail to mount /SD card.thx . Do i need start over again to install recovery. Thanks

Files flashed in recovery should always remain zipped. Your problem is your sd card is formatted as exfat file system and recovery doesn't read exfat. Therefore it can't mount your sdcard. You have 2 choices

1. Reformat your external sdcard with fat32 file system and start from scratch. Be sure to back everything up as this will delete everything on your card.

2. Move team epic root from recovery from your external sdcard to your internal sdcard and start the whole process from scratch.

Tigertle

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Files flashed in recovery should always remain zipped. Your problem is your sd card is formatted as exfat file system and recovery doesn't read exfat. Therefore it can't mount your sdcard. You have 2 choices

1. Reformat your external sdcard with fat32 file system and start from scratch. Be sure to back everything up as this will delete everything on your card.

2. Move team epic root from recovery from your external sdcard to your internal sdcard and start the whole process from scratch.

Thanks for the quick reply one more thing my SD is 64 meg will it read on the recovery mode. If i place the file to intenal card what folder should i place or just at main dir.
I try to remove the SD card and place the file on the down load folder push to recovery mode what function should i select i select the one on the bottom menu but it did not see either.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply one more thing my SD is 64 meg will it read on the recovery mode. If i place the file to intenal card what folder should i place or just at main dir.
I try to remove the SD card and place the file on the down load folder push to recovery mode what function should i select i select the one on the bottom menu but it did not see either.

1. Yes you can put team epic zip in the main directory of the internal card. The easiest way to do this is to start your phone and let it boot. Go to where it is on the ext sdcard and copy and paste it to the internal sd card. Once done, shut down phone and remove the battery cover from the phone.

In Odin and uncheck auto reboot. Check the pda box and click on the pds button. Browse to where you put the recovery tar file. Odin will check the md5 and when finished it will show up in the box to the right of pda. When all of this is finished.

Put your phone in download mode by pressing and holding volume down, power and home buttons simultaneously. The phone will go to a warning. Release all 3 buttons and then press volume up. Now you're in download mode.

Plug your phone into your computer using you usb cable. When you see com and a number in the com box, Odin has recognized you phone and you can press start.

When finished (it shouldn't take more than 10-15 seconds) remove your battery and unplug your phone.

Reinstall your battery and go into recovery mode. Volume UP, power and home simultaneously. Release as soon as you see the word Samsung on your screen. If you are you later and you phone boots all the way and doesn't go into recovery you will have to start over.

In recovery select install zip, then choose zip from internal or external sdcsrd. Find team epic and choose it. When done you will be able to restart your phone.

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
As a tech, I couldn't resist rooting it. I was also an iPhone convert (first android phone) and I have to say that I love it so far. Not sure if I will install any ROMs yet, but I do like the fact that I can play a little now. Thanks for the great instructions!

nittany409

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for developing this. I just rooted my phone and can now research how to get rid of th AT&T bloatware and annoying Splasy Screen. Great work!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for developing this. I just rooted my phone and can now research how to get rid of th AT&T bloatware and annoying Splasy Screen. Great work!

Your welcome. I didn't develop anything, anyone could have put this together. I just found all the files and out our school together.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me, I do have a followup question: Outside of Odin, is there a way on the phone itself to confirm that it is rooted? Thx.

You can install an app on your phone that requires root such as titanium backup and see if it works. Or you can install root checker from the playstore that will check to see if you have root.

gregski

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for these COMPLETE instructions. You left nothing out. No guessing, just follow instructions. I was very surprised, and elated, that this root method did not remove any programs. When I rooted my old HTC, I had to start from scratch and reinstall everything. This method was almost foolproof.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for these COMPLETE instructions. You left nothing out. No guessing, just follow instructions. I was very surprised, and elated, that this root method did not remove any programs. When I rooted my old HTC, I had to start from scratch and reinstall everything. This method was almost foolproof.

I'm glad you were successful.

WestonMKM

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. I've got a GSIII on AT&T and am itching to root and get on with using CM10 and other roms. I've put this off long enough in hopes of an AT&T JB upgrade. Don't think I can wait much longer...

My question is with regards to Lotus Traveller. My company uses this to allow me access to my corporate email and calendar. I have it installed on my non-rooted phone. It requires a 5-digit PIN to log-on. What precautions or issues do I need to address to go through the rooting process successfully. I'm the "measure twice, cut once" type, so am proceeding with an abundance of caution.

Thanks again!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. I've got a GSIII on AT&T and am itching to root and get on with using CM10 and other roms. I've put this off long enough in hopes of an AT&T JB upgrade. Don't think I can wait much longer...

My question is with regards to Lotus Traveller. My company uses this to allow me access to my corporate email and calendar. I have it installed on my non-rooted phone. It requires a 5-digit PIN to log-on. What precautions or issues do I need to address to go through the rooting process successfully. I'm the "measure twice, cut once" type, so am proceeding with an abundance of caution.

Thanks again!

I am not sure, my phone is not encrypted in any way. This guy had an encrypted device and had to remove it prior to rooting. Perhaps you can pm him or use his post as a guide... see below...

All set thanks. I had to remove my account (exchange). This enabled me to decrypt my phone to where I did not have to enter a password to boot the phone. I then did a factory reset to remove the rest of the encryption.

The phone is mine, my company pushes a GPO once you set up email to sync with Exchange.

Bob