Ok - im rooted. Now what?

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Rooted my S3 last night with the team epic root from recovery where u take the battery out and put it back in. It was pretty easy. Now im wondering whats next? I want to learn how to flash ROMs and I want to know what kernels and modems do and why I need them... I also want to buy "set CPU" from the play store so I can control my CPU but I hear u need a custom kernel for that? Also .. do u guys recommend ROM toolbox or Titanium backup pro? Both? Any feedback appreciated :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

rdogger

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no experience with ROM toolbox, Titanium backup pro would save you loads of time if you plan on changing roms a lot. In order to flash a rom you will need to install a custom recovery. You can either use TWRP or CWM. From my experience TWRP is the way to go, you can download goo manager from the market to install that recovery, if you want CWM you can download ROM manager to install that recovery.

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok I can do that; damn I feel dumb now because I bought CWM touch from rom manager but oh well its good to donate to the devs. So download Goo downloader from play store and then I can download TW recovery from there? Is it similar to CWM?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Also do i need to uninstall CWM touch before I flash TW recovery?

Do not uninstall CWM recovery. Almost everything you flash goes through cwm recovery.There is no touch wiz recovery. It is the ROM's for this phone are either based off of touch wiz (stock) or AOSP. Not the recovery's

Rom manager is something you should avoid. Learn to flash your ROM's, kernels and mods in recovery. You will not only learn more, there have been errors and issues when using Rom manager.

Here is a guide I made for people who have not flashed in recovery. You folks who are experienced are welcome to look it over and add to it if you like.

While every version of recovery is just a little different they all pretty much have the same options.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=210987How to flash in custom recovery.

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Do not uninstall CWM recovery. Almost everything you flash goes through cwm recovery.There is no touch wiz recovery. It is the ROM's for this phone are either based off of touch wiz (stock) or AOSP. Not the recovery's

Rom manager is something you should avoid. Learn to flash your ROM's, kernels and mods in recovery. You will not only learn more, there have been errors and issues when using Rom manager.

Here is a guide I made for people who have not flashed in recovery. You folks who are experienced are welcome to look it over and add to it if you like.

While every version of recovery is just a little different they all pretty much have the same options.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=210987How to flash in custom recovery.

Thank you so much! Im gonna read it now. So basically ; say I wanna flash AOKP Jellybean... first i download the ROM zip on my computer then i put it onto my internal SD card cause I dont have an external one for now, then I boot into recovery (I have CWM Touch recovery) and wipe data/factory reset then wipe delvik cache , then I install zip from SD card and reboot phone. Do my contacts and stuff get saved or do I just load them on there from my google accnt?

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok I read ur guide and it answered my questions so thanks for that. One more question I have is when im flashing a ROM can I NOT wipe data/factory reset if I want all my contacts and passwords to stay on the phone? Or is that a must?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok I read ur guide and it answered my questions so thanks for that. One more question I have is when im flashing a ROM can I NOT wipe data/factory reset if I want all my contacts and passwords to stay on the phone? Or is that a must?

While you can do what's called a dirty flash, it is not recommended. If you have any issues with the rom you are flashing there will be no way to determine if it is the rom or your dirty flash causing the issues. If you go on the rom thread with your issues it would be unfair to the developer for you reporting an issue you caused.

You should NEVER put your contacts on your phone. They should always be saved to your Google account. That way they will always be there when you sign into your Google account.

If you have been saving your contacts to your Google account they will automatically be downloaded to your phone when you sync to your Google account. Your passwords however, will have to be reentered.

bigbruise

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
While you can do what's called a dirty flash, it is not recommended. If you have any issues with the rom you are flashing there will be no way to determine if it is the rom or your dirty flash causing the issues. If you go on the rom thread with your issues it would be unfair to the developer for you reporting an issue you caused.

You should NEVER put your contacts on your phone. They should always be saved to your Google account. That way they will always be there when you sign into your Google account.

If you have been saving your contacts to your Google account they will automatically be downloaded to your phone when you sync to your Google account. Your passwords however, will have to be reentered.

How do we ensure they are saved to our google account and not the phone. The "merge with google" option?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

agentmobile

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ya I did the merge with Google option and now all my contacts have a google logo next to them. I think we're good to go