Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dirtbikerr450
  • 1 Post By HSuke
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HELP!! I can't get my rooted GSIII to work with WiFi Tether

So i rooted my phone today and was super excited to use WiFi Tether so i could use my iPad. I have tried a few different combinations, but I have been unsuccessful. I am leaving in the AM for a long road trip so any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb007#IM View Post
    So i rooted my phone today and was super excited to use WiFi Tether so i could use my iPad. I have tried a few different combinations, but I have been unsuccessful. I am leaving in the AM for a long road trip so any help would be appreciated.
    I am having the same issue. Wifi tether says it's broadcasting but I can't see it on my computer. I've been trying to search for an answer but no luck.

Default Re: HELP!! I can't get my rooted GSIII to work with WiFi Tether

Follow this link to post #143. This will fix your wifi tether. Works on my AT&T Note 2 and S3.

WiFi tether for JellyBean is here.... Confirmed.....

Here is the link to download the wifi tether TrevE:

Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 ICS

You could get a custom rom that supports it
    sledge007 likes this.

I've downloaded TrevE's MOD yesterday, work for a few minutes, then keeps on dropping-out.... screen shows: "What the Hell! etc....

Quote Originally Posted by kapoy View Post
    I've downloaded TrevE's MOD yesterday, work for a few minutes, then keeps on dropping-out.... screen shows: "What the Hell! etc....
    Same here.

I'm currently using Hotspot Toggle Widget, but there's a chance it'll get detected by AT&T.
    morgankenb likes this.

I had the same issue when I first rooted and stayed on stock rom. There are lot of hacks to run tether on stock rom, but they all looked much more difficult to me then just installing a custom rom. CM is great and tether works right out of the box.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

This worked before I updated to Jellybean. Im using a stock ATT rom that is rooted.

The app opens ok, and I get a small bit of data to show on the left side. It appears to be working but my computer cannot see the phone. (no SSID shows up)

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I cant get Hotspot Toggle Widget to work either...............

Quote Originally Posted by kapoy View Post
    I think that means some other app is trying to turn on / take control of WiFi. Does the AT&T version have anything like Sprint's "Connection optimizer"? Or do you have any kind of profile app that's turning on Wifi?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Check out Darth Stalker or Serenity...if you're into the TouchWiz based ROMs. WiFi tether works just fine with those two....Toggle switch built in. Just a couple of options that I know works for me.

(and Wicked Sensations...just remembered )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

I've got SG3 i747UCDLK3 & recently successfully rooted the stock rom via the Odin3 approach using root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5. I downloaded and installed wifi_tether_v3_3-beta2.apk. (I have SuperSu). The laptop can see and show a successful connection to the SSID and the phone buzzes to show the connection. The only problem is that I can't connect to the Internet. A second laptop had the same issue. I get the "DNS can't be found" error. I changed to Google DNS without any success. Any suggestions for how to get through to the Internet? I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I did run into the "what the hell. . ." message about the native wifi taking over and did lose the SSID from the local list. I set the screen time-out to 10 minutes and that kept it for happening (probably for 10 minutes... don't know for sure since I never connected to the internet).
    Last edited by Gorgon; 06-29-2013 at 05:34 PM.

The "what the Hell" message is because something else on your phone is turning on WiFi. I'm not on AT&T, so don't know if there's anything similar, but Sprint has an app that keeps looking for WiFi signals, and I had to turn that off to get WiFi Tether to work.

I don't really know about the DNS error....
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
    Gorgon 

Global Posts
    3,435 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I'm using Portable WiFi Hotspot Free,from the Playstore, with no problems. I've got a rooted SGSIII, and have never been detected by AT&T. Give it a try.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

I use "Fast Wifi Tether Free" from the play store. Doesn't even require root access and I've never been detected by ATT either. It's a great app, the free version allows you to create a hotspot with K password protect and the paid version allows you to create a password for your hotspot. Try it out and I hope it solves your problems. Been using it for a few months with absolutely no problems.

How do I load this? In my PC it says You don't have any devices. Can't I download it to my PC and then connect my phone and install?

Mika