HELP!! I can't get my rooted GSIII to work with WiFi Tether

scottyb007#IM

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So i rooted my phone today and was super excited to use WiFi Tether so i could use my iPad. I have tried a few different combinations, but I have been unsuccessful. I am leaving in the AM for a long road trip so any help would be appreciated.

saewhat24

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
So i rooted my phone today and was super excited to use WiFi Tether so i could use my iPad. I have tried a few different combinations, but I have been unsuccessful. I am leaving in the AM for a long road trip so any help would be appreciated.

I am having the same issue. Wifi tether says it's broadcasting but I can't see it on my computer. I've been trying to search for an answer but no luck.

kapoy

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've downloaded TrevE's MOD yesterday, work for a few minutes, then keeps on dropping-out.... screen shows: "What the Hell! etc....

HSuke

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've downloaded TrevE's MOD yesterday, work for a few minutes, then keeps on dropping-out.... screen shows: "What the Hell! etc....
Same here.

I'm currently using Hotspot Toggle Widget, but there's a chance it'll get detected by AT&T.

cpolly69

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue when I first rooted and stayed on stock rom. There are lot of hacks to run tether on stock rom, but they all looked much more difficult to me then just installing a custom rom. CM is great and tether works right out of the box.

billinaz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
This worked before I updated to Jellybean. Im using a stock ATT rom that is rooted.

The app opens ok, and I get a small bit of data to show on the left side. It appears to be working but my computer cannot see the phone. (no SSID shows up)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

I think that means some other app is trying to turn on / take control of WiFi. Does the AT&T version have anything like Sprint's "Connection optimizer"? Or do you have any kind of profile app that's turning on Wifi?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Check out Darth Stalker or Serenity...if you're into the TouchWiz based ROMs. WiFi tether works just fine with those two....Toggle switch built in. Just a couple of options that I know works for me.

(and Wicked Sensations...just remembered :) )

Gorgon

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I've got SG3 i747UCDLK3 & recently successfully rooted the stock rom via the Odin3 approach using root66_ATT_I747UCDLK3.tar.md5. I downloaded and installed wifi_tether_v3_3-beta2.apk. (I have SuperSu). The laptop can see and show a successful connection to the SSID and the phone buzzes to show the connection. The only problem is that I can't connect to the Internet. A second laptop had the same issue. I get the "DNS can't be found" error. I changed to Google DNS without any success. Any suggestions for how to get through to the Internet? I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I did run into the "what the hell. . ." message about the native wifi taking over and did lose the SSID from the local list. I set the screen time-out to 10 minutes and that kept it for happening (probably for 10 minutes... don't know for sure since I never connected to the internet).

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The "what the Hell" message is because something else on your phone is turning on WiFi. I'm not on AT&T, so don't know if there's anything similar, but Sprint has an app that keeps looking for WiFi signals, and I had to turn that off to get WiFi Tether to work.

I don't really know about the DNS error....

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Portable WiFi Hotspot Free,from the Playstore, with no problems. I've got a rooted SGSIII, and have never been detected by AT&T. Give it a try.:p

ben7798

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I use "Fast Wifi Tether Free" from the play store. Doesn't even require root access and I've never been detected by ATT either. It's a great app, the free version allows you to create a hotspot with K password protect and the paid version allows you to create a password for your hotspot. Try it out and I hope it solves your problems. Been using it for a few months with absolutely no problems. :)

mika176

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
How do I load this? In my PC it says You don't have any devices. Can't I download it to my PC and then connect my phone and install?

Mika