Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Updating rooted S3 with ClockworkMod Recovery to Jelly Bean

I have done some research, and am wanting to make sure I go about this right so I don't mess anything up. I currently have my AT&T S3 rooted using Clockworkmod Recovery, and am wanting to update to 4.1

At first I was simply getting annoyed with the constant updates to update my firmware so just wanted it to go away, but am wanting to update and hopefully keep my root.

If I were to update using OTA RootKeeper, would it work? Or is there a rooted stock jelly bean rom that I need to flash using clockwork? As you can tell I am new to this and am just wanting to know the best way possible to go about this.

Also, if I were to simply update, what would happen? Would I have jelly bean but simply not be rooted anymore and can reroot later?

ROM
    paranoidKangdroid

Default Re: Updating rooted S3 with ClockworkMod Recovery to Jelly Bean

I'm not quite sure if OTA Root keeper will work or not, however there are stock rooted roms you can flash on the XDA Developers forum. I'm thinking that would be your best bet.
    Maybe something like this rom? ROM - (Stock TW JB Optimized+Extras) JellyBean747 Version 1 - xda-developers

Or you can do the OTA and just root your phone again. Whatever seems easiest for you.
    Always rooted.

Default Re: Updating rooted S3 with ClockworkMod Recovery to Jelly Bean

you could also completely unroot your phone using a guide like this - [Guide UPDATED] How to Unroot your AT&T Galaxy S3 (Return To Stock I747UCDLK3 JellyBean )
    and then just use kies to update to jb and root again - that seems the most simple to me but there may be a stock rom out there that's easier just to flash once - either way you're going to have to go thru the whole backup process and wiping everything

btw some of the nice roms out there (like cm) are already based on 4.2