About to return hard-bricked GS3 to ATT...

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my ATT GS3, it went black and is completely unresponsive/usable now.

ATT is sending me a free one this week since i have the one year warranty and i gotta send mine back.

What I'm wondering is ATT gonna know its rooted/be able to re-activate it and THEN find out it's been rooted, and if so, will they charge me the price of the new phone?

I'm very worried about what's going to happen. Please advise.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

ATT is sending me a free one this week since i have the one year warranty and i gotta send mine back.

What I'm wondering is ATT gonna know its rooted/be able to re-activate it and THEN find out it's been rooted, and if so, will they charge me the price of the new phone?

you are starting another thread about this? let me ask you can the device get into download mode or recovery?
if you are really scared you send your phone to mobiletech and they can fix it for $60 and you can call and cancel the replacement
Samsung Galaxy S III JTAG Brick Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM

TLB69

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site

You root your phone and then it goes black unresponsive/unusable.You then call AT&T(you don't tell them you rooted it)and now they're sending you another one.Now you're worried about what's gonna happen.In your opinion sir,was that right or wrong?

Sent from my S3 rockin Jellybean 4.1.1

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Look, I made a mistake. But it left my phone unusable. I'm not a criminal. I goofed up and had them send me another since I have a one year warranty. What would you have me do?

- - - Updated - - -

No. I cant do ANYTHING with it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Look, I made a mistake. But it left my phone unusable. I'm not a criminal. I goofed up and had them send me another since I have a one year warranty. What would you have me do?

- - - Updated - - -

No. I cant do ANYTHING with it.

Don't worry about it. If they really didn't want you doing it they should have done a better job locking it down lol

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I followed the link and ordered a repaired S3 with cyanogen mod installed safely and Im gonna return the new ATT phone back to them. Thank you so much for your help.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I followed the link and ordered a repaired S3 with cyanogen mod installed safely and Im gonna return the new ATT phone back to them. Thank you so much for your help.
Oh great, i know the guy that owns mobile tech his name is Josh, im sure he will do a great job.

mkchillin

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Upon receiving it, will installing new ROMs and/or updating the software screw it up again? I don't wanna go through this ordeal ever again...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
They transferred my GS3 one to a cheapy talk phone and they'd have to convert it back to a GS3 once again I think though

If the sim card is the same just take it out and pop it in the gs3. It should work. If it doesn't they probably can do it over the phone. Or just go to the store they won't care if it's rooted since you are not trying to return it

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

NickyL87

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Contact samsung and get a tracking number and just chat with the customer service. I bricked my device too. hard bricked it and i contacted samsung and my device was shipped to them and in a couple days my device was shipped back to me and it works perfectly. They cant charge you anything because your device wont power on period.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a somewhat similar experience. Luckily for me, i was stuck in Odin download mode. Followed Skunkape60's guide to UNrooting, and it's all good now. Running ParanoidKangDroid 4.2.2, and it's real fast and smoothe.:)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is an old thread Nicky resurrected, but I'm not sure his advice is what I would recommend. There's at least one thread here from someone who returned his phone to Samsung for repair and they told him the warranty was void because it had a non-OEM ROM on it. Samsung can tell you've flashed a new ROM, even if the phone is bricked. Probably safer to deal with the carrier, who probably won't bother to check, and probably don't have the equipment to read a dead phone. Of course, the right thing to do would be to man-up, admit it's your fault, and pay to have it repaired rather than expecting Samsung or AT&T to pay for your stupidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37