No 4G and/or LTE signal after installing LiquidSmooth 4.2.2 RC1 (or any other ROM?)...

Max Rebo

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Since I couldn't post to the xda-dev site (new user restrictions), I figured I'd ask here.

After rooting and installing LiquidSmooth 4.2.2 RC1 last night, I noticed that my phone would always default to either 3G or HSPA+.

Is this behavior typical for this (or any other ROM)?
(This is my first root/custom ROM attempt, by the way.)

I had to flash back to stock 4.1.1 because I didn't back up my contacts to an easily retrievable format (i.e., via Kies, which won't connect to a rooted phone).
Come to think of it, I backed up everything using Ti-Backup and ROM Manager. With the former, I couldn't locate the contacts file and in the latter, I would get an MD5 checksum error upon trying to restore. That's all moot now, as I'm back to fully-functional stock 4.1.1 and I retrieved my contacts via Kies.

Now I can re-root and install a different ROM. I had considered CM10 -- but does it have the same issue with 4G connectivity?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I had to do the same thing. Apparently the custom ROM's use a different LTE frequency than the stock and it causes signal degradation. I went back to stock and am just waiting it out. Highly recommend you do the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Max Rebo

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That's the first mention I've seen regarding signal degradation with a custom ROM.

Other posts I've found mention that ATT always has the 4G or 4G/LTE icon displayed with the stock ROM. However, custom ROMs will display the type of service you are actually getting. I don't know which is correct.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I had to do the same thing. Apparently the custom ROM's use a different LTE frequency than the stock and it causes signal degradation. I went back to stock and am just waiting it out. Highly recommend you do the same

Starting see what your talking about. Not sure which is more accurate on displaying signal.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I did a little reading on LTE bands. Look up LTE:13 vs LTE:14. The custom ROM's run on LTE:13 and stock runs on 14. I had little to no signal on custom ROM's where I normally had a solid signal. It works revert back to HSPA or 3G most of the time. See for yourself

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I did a little reading on LTE bands. Look up LTE:13 vs LTE:14. The custom ROM's run on LTE:13 and stock runs on 14. I had little to no signal on custom ROM's where I normally had a solid signal. It works revert back to HSPA or 3G most of the time. See for yourself

Wonder if the dev could change that in the ROM. I went back to stock and went right back to jellybean.

Sent via Tapatalk

Max Rebo

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I did a little reading on LTE bands. Look up LTE:13 vs LTE:14. The custom ROMs run on LTE:13 and stock runs on 14. I had little to no signal on custom ROMs where I normally had a solid signal. It works revert back to HSPA or 3G most of the time. See for yourself

I'm not so sure now.

I'm at work and have been getting a (weak) 4G signal all day long (i.e., -110 dBm). Mobile network type is listed as LTE:13. (Still running ParanoidKANGdroid, by the way.)

I then found this topic:
LTE:14 vs LTE:13 - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki

After reading that, it seems that LTE:13 is really no different than LTE:14 when running JB.

Depending on location, my phone regularly switches between 3G/HSPA+/4G, whereas the stock ROM just displayed either a grey "4G" or colored "4G/LTE" symbol. I suspect that the grey 4G was not true 4G reception.

EDIT: While driving home, I observed that my 4G signal was pretty strong -- 3/4 or 4/4 bars, corresponding to approximately -80 to -70 dBm or thereabouts.
My conclusion is that the custom ROMs are a-okay. Many people might read this and think, "Duh," but since this is my first go at using a custom ROM, I really didn't know what to expect in terms of every day functionality. So far everything seems at least as good as stock.

I should also mention that even with the stock ROM, my network reception sucked while inside my workplace. Every now and then I would even completely lose cellular service (denoted by the craptastic "E" symbol).

Irrelevant note: I got my stock ring tones back, too. There's something I dig about the StarGazer ring tone. All is good. :D

Last edited:

Brian West1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I installed the same ROM and I'm having mobile data signal issues. Coming in and out. I checked phone status and it shows my Network Service Type is UMTS. I think that is 3G. I flash a lot and this is the first time I have had signal/data issues. I will be flashing back to AOKP Task 650 underwear kernal. Its the nest I've come across.

Gary Hicks

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: While driving home, I observed that my 4G signal was pretty strong -- 3/4 or 4/4 bars, corresponding to approximately -80 to -70 dBm or thereabouts.
My conclusion is that the custom ROMs are a-okay. Many people might read this and think, "Duh," but since this is my first go at using a custom ROM, I really didn't know what to expect in terms of every day functionality. So far everything seems at least as good as stock.

The signal bars, and your dBm don't correspond with each other. The only thing the bars represent is your closeness to a tower. The dBm is all that matters for signal strength.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
well i have no 4g/lte in my area now running carbon so I reverted back to stock (lost everything) got most back

Whos right the stock rom or custom?

Seif Abdulhameed

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am a noob. This is the first time I've ever posted in a forum (probably the first of very many). I really need help. At any rate, I installed LiquidSmooth 4.2.2 RC1. I have a Galaxy-S3, SCH-I535 (Rooted & Verizon Bootloader unlocked) Everything looks good except I have no phone icon and can't find one. I called my phone from Skype and it received the call fine. When it did a dialpad appeared. How can I produce the dialpad at will?:( Did I do something wrong? Can someone help me with this? ....Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL