Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again

vaibala

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm having AT&T Galasy S3 (SGH-I747). It has version 4.1.1. I was trying to root it but by mistake i've used CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gti9300.tar.md5 which is meant for international version of the S3. I've used Odin3-v1.85 which was in the same zip file along with the md5 file. While rooting, the Odin said "Failed" and upon restart, I got this error. Please help me to get back the phone to normal working and root this samsung galaxy s3 - I747.

vaibala

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi meyerweb! Thank you for your response. My computer now does not recognize the mobile when I connect. So, I could not copy the TeamEpic-Root-from....zip into either internal or external memory card. I can pull out the memory card and copy the file manually. But let me know if this is ok. I just want the phone back to life with root permission.

vaibala

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I followed the guide mentioned by meyerweb... It took less than 15 mins... Now the issue got resolved, and I'm having rooted samsung galaxy s3... thank you so much!!!

John Harden

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
hello i hope to get some help here i have a USCC Samsung Gs3 updated to the latest jellybean 4.2 i think it is but anyway i downloaded the upgrade tool form Samsung witch in turned bricked my phone thumbs up for Samsung. now its has the ( firmware upgrade issue do recovery mode in kies ) the problem is the gs3 will not connect to kies. can this be fixed if plz help ty

nikkaypoo

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi I did the exact same thing...I followed this guide without checking the model. I tried to install KIES_HOME_I9300XXEMB5_I9300OXAEMB5_996085_REV00_user_low_ship.tar as I was hoping to resolve the reset issues but now I seem to have rendered my phone useless.

Install Galaxy S3 I9300 Official Firmware XXEMB5 Jellybean 4.1.2 | Query Inn

My phone is now in the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

My phone is the Canadian/Telus version SGH-I747M, it won't connect to Kies but my computer recognizes the device.

Is it possible to follow the same instructions as above? Any way to save it?

I also found this How to Root Galaxy S3 (Canadian) SGH-I747M on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware - Honai of Android will this help?

Please help =(

josiahlikesminecraft

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi I did the exact same thing...I followed this guide without checking the model. I tried to install KIES_HOME_I9300XXEMB5_I9300OXAEMB5_996085_REV00_user_low_ship.tar as I was hoping to resolve the reset issues but now I seem to have rendered my phone useless.

Install Galaxy S3 I9300 Official Firmware XXEMB5 Jellybean 4.1.2 | Query Inn

My phone is now in the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

My phone is the Canadian/Telus version SGH-I747M, it won't connect to Kies but my computer recognizes the device.

Is it possible to follow the same instructions as above? Any way to save it?

I also found this How to Root Galaxy S3 (Canadian) SGH-I747M on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware - Honai of Android will this help?

Please help =(

Will Odin recognize your phone?

Posted via Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Nikkaypoo:

As I think you understand, you flashed the international ROM to a North American phone. I'm actually kind of amazed that the phone powers up at all. That's a good thing, though, because it means you have a chance of recovering the device. You do NOT want to try to follow the instructions in the link you posted.

First thing to test: Can you boot into download mode or recovery? Power the phone off completely. Pull the battery if necessary, then reinsert it. For download mode, hold the volume DOWN, home and power buttons down at the same time. When you get to a warning screen, release all three buttons, then push volume up. You should see a message warning you not to disconnect the phone or power off. For now you can ignore that. Pull the battery out to power down.

For recovery mode, with the phone off, press and hold volume UP, home and power. When you see the Samsung logo, release all three buttons.

Let us know what happens when you try these.

nikkaypoo

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for replying so soon,

1) Can you boot into download mode,
Yes, I get the warning screen, I've powered it off

2) or recovery?
This is where it differs, it does power up, but the Samsung logo doesn't show up, only the following shows:

"ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME" SGHi747M
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: YES (4counts)
CURRENT BINARY: CUSTOM
SYSTEM STATUS: OFFICIAL
QUALCOMM SECURE BOOT: ENABLE

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again."

Any advice helps! I'm about to take it to a independent repair shop and crossing my fingers, I will be back on here asap.

-N

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, if it says Odin Mode that sounds like Download, not recovery. Are you sure you did Volume UP, home and power to get into recovery mod?

Anyway, Download mode should work for what you need to do.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I don't have, and have never had, an i747 version of the phone. I have no way to test this procedure, and can't guarantee it will work. If it doesn't I take no responsibility. But since your phone isn't working now, you don't have much to lose. The page linked below has a number of different versions of the ROM. Be sure you select the one that says it's for the Telus i747M version of the phone.

Anyway, the procedure described on this page looks correct to me. If you download the right ROM, and download and install ODIN, you should be able to recover your phone to stock, non-rooted condition. Then, if you so desire, you can root.

How to Install,Return Back Original Stock ROM/Firmware on Samsung Galaxy S3 (S III GT-I9300, U.S and Canada) | Android Firmware Update

I would suggest reading through the entire procedure at least once, before trying to do the steps. If you have any questions, ask before you try to run the process. Then go carefully, step by step when you're downloading the ROM to your phone.

Good luck.

Varun Cidambi

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,

I just had the same prob., I have SGH-I747 had 4.3, tried using cyanogenmod install (the new and easy version), but had to restart my computer due to windows 8.1 update. Came up with same error, approximately in the same condition as nikkaypoo's phone (except for the fact that it tells me warranty bit: 1 and something else), so all i have to do is flash stock?

Thanks,
V

Last edited: