Installing new ROM on a rooted S3...procedural questions...

Sandy Gerli

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello, guys and gals,

I rooted my S3 about five months ago, and have been reading some posts on a bunch of ROMs. I want to install one, but I am running into several different opinions on the proper steps involved. I have all the apps onboard like Superuser and the like already.

One thing I notice now with my stock ROM is that it can be slow. So much so that some apps may be slow to open. I figure that this is ROM-related and that a slim, faster ROM would make the phone's apps faster to execute. And, I may also get some bells and whistles for easier general use in the process.

Now...the thing about ROM-ing that worries me is the part where you have to erase some old files during the process. Kinda creeps me out. I sure don't want to have a brick here! And, also, if I get to the point where I might have several ROMs installed on the phone, I can't find a file or thread that describes how to change between ROMs, other than flat-out erasing one and installing another.

Could someone on the list please point me to a good thread which describes the download process for changing ROMs, which files are required and where on the phone (like the SD card root or the main memori root) these are placed? I've been building my own PCs since the PC-XT days and I remember Windows 2.0, so I've been there and done that. Just want a good reliable set of instructions.

Thanks,

Sandy Gerli

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Since you are rooted just make sure to do a Nandroid backup in recovery. With any new rom it is advisable to do a complete wipe. Backup, backup, backup your documents, pictures, videos and any other information you need.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Since you are rooted just make sure to do a Nandroid backup in recovery. With any new rom it is advisable to do a complete wipe. Backup, backup, backup your documents, pictures, videos and any other information you need.

Everything in this post x1,000
Always make a nandroid backup before you flash anything for the first time; you never know when something will go south and without it, you could be stuck with the issue
And just to clear up the complete wipe procedure, this means doing an advanced wipe and wiping cache, dalvik cache, system and data. Deleting anything else could be critical to the OS, or even the OS itself; making it extremely difficult to fix

Posted via Android Central App