GS3 Release Date in US by AT&T

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Following their history, I'm sure they'll do 4 capacitive buttons. While I do have an iPhone, I have grown to dislike the home button. I dislike it because over they become loose and wobbly.

Here's my pros and cons list to owning the International version versus AT&T's model.

International: Pros

No carrier bloat, customization.
Home Button (could be a con for some)
Fast updates
Awesome development support

International: Cons

Expensive (expansys usa wants $694 for the 16GB version)
-HSPA+ 21 ( Lets be real, on AT&T the best we'll see if we're luck is maybe 9-10 down.
Might take a while to get the correct APN's to work with AT&T.
--Not optimized for AT&T's network

AT&T's Version Pros

-LTE
Capacitive buttons (maybe)
--No commitment pricing is cheaper

AT&T Version Cons

Lack of updates, maybe the first update will come 3-4 months after release and that'll pretty much be it.
--Development Support
-Carrier Bloat, customization
-AT&T will take away any way to TURN OFF 3G AND 4G LTE.

Agree with all but the prices. $694 without tax will be competitive with the no commitment pricing with tax. I was $703 out the door with my AT&T Galaxy Note versus my International Galaxy Note for $650 from Amazon without tax or shipping.

I even considered buying a Canadian LTE model to avoid the bloatware but in the end I ran to the ATT store and bought the Galaxy Note on launch day! lol!

I hope to be a bit more disciplined with the SGSIII and wait to see if I can save the tax this time! :)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know but I am all of the sudden very tempted by the international version. Simply for the reason that AT&AMPt can't touch the phone and the development support will be huge. I think I'll be able to get over the home button thing lol. The only downside is AT&T is currently working on getting LTE up in my home town. It would be a no-brainer if I knew LTE wasn't going to be available until like next year but I know that's not the case.

I also have the old unlimited data plan and with LTE it gets bumped up to 5GB. With the international GSIII I'd still only have 3GB of high speed data.

Decisions, decisions...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
With AT&T, you would retain your unlimited data plan that you have now assuming it is the grandfathered plan. I specifically asked that of two AT&T reps from two different stores.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Not anytime soon...the gs2 came out less than 6 months ago get realistic you high a$$es

Really? They came out with the GSII Skyrocket exactly 31 days after the sgs II. The Note was about a month and a half after that. They were even going to release a Skyrocket HD but cancelled it due to the SGSIII.

Yeah, they would NEVER come out with another so soon. (Yes, sarcasm)

krump37

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I, too, am waiting to see this phone in person, but you have to wonder if they can handle the demand. Reports have stated that they can build about 5 MM per month of these, and i would be willing to bet they are yet to reach a month (or perhaps a little more) of full production. With reported preorders by carriers in the 10MM range, that level would take 2 mos to reach. I am starting to think late June, early July is going to be the absolute earliest to get this in US. I think that they will saturate the Int'l markets, especially the European, in the lead up to the Olympics because of Samsung's tie in. So if they sell 10MM in Europe, that would be all of May and June production, or at least most of it.

Of course, the reports and i can easily be all wrong, and have been before.

Edited: Also, part of the 10MM could be the initial US orders as well, so it might be handled in June.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I, too, am waiting to see this phone in person, but you have to wonder if they can handle the demand. Reports have stated that they can build about 5 MM per month of these, and i would be willing to bet they are yet to reach a month (or perhaps a little more) of full production. With reported preorders by carriers in the 10MM range, that level would take 2 mos to reach. I am starting to think late June, early July is going to be the absolute earliest to get this in US. I think that they will saturate the Int'l markets, especially the European, in the lead up to the Olympics because of Samsung's tie in. So if they sell 10MM in Europe, that would be all of May and June production, or at least most of it.

Of course, the reports and i can easily be all wrong, and have been before.

Edited: Also, part of the 10MM could be the initial US orders as well, so it might be handled in June.

Agree with everything you say. I figured the same when I read the preorder story.
Yes, hopefully includes ATT carrier preorders.
Not even getting a date for the US portion of the 10 city tour makes me nervous.
Thinking July most likely.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
$249 is a high price point versus RIM devices. The $249 may be for the 16GB version. Maybe $349 for the 32GB?

$100 more for extra 16GB of storage would seem excessive. I know they do that with tablets but it just seems wrong. With cloud storage available and micro sd, charging $100 more just seems greedy. But I am sure that's how it's going to be and I will probably be one of those losers that pay $349 for 32 GB.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
$100 more for extra 16GB of storage would seem excessive. I know they do that with tablets but it just seems wrong. With cloud storage available and micro sd, charging $100 more just seems greedy. But I am sure that's how it's going to be and I will probably be one of those losers that pay $349 for 32 GB.

Remember ATT does that with the iPhone. $100 premium for 32gb vs 16gb.
Makes that 32 gb storage and 2 gb of ram, I'll pay the extra hundred

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Why not spend 30USD on a new 16GB sdcard?

Doesn't the built in storage have faster read times? I like having sd card option, but would rather it be an option vs need.
AND saying I want the extra Ram. No, 16gb is not worth the hundred alone.

We were just speculating the cost if the extra 16gb was an option.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
This is not official in any way...however I just had a meeting with our corporate Rogers contact and he said the tentative internal date for Rogers release as of now is June 17th. He has a webinar for the GS3 on Thursday of this week and is supposed to forward me any information he gets after the webinar.

I know this is not AT&T however at least we know mid to late June is looking like a solid release date.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Remember ATT does that with the iPhone. $100 premium for 32gb vs 16gb.
Makes that 32 gb storage and 2 gb of ram, I'll pay the extra hundred

Iphone is different since storage is not expandable and that's why they can charge a premium. For GS3, even if you get a 16GB, you could go out and get an SD card for 32GB or 64GB which presumably would be cheaper than the premium you'd pay to have on-board. However, just like you I'd get the 32GB with 2GB RAM and pay premium for it.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site