Thoughts on the pentile screen?

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a harder time being excited for the s3 knowing it has pentile. Anyone have thoughts about this? I didn't like it on the razr. Kinda hurt my eyes.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
While IPS does look better, I have found it to be more defective. I've gone through many iphone 4S's because of the horrible light bleeding.

Never had an issue like that on any Samsung AMOLED display.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Pentile has been given a bad name. I had the galaxy nexus for a bit and pentile on that looks 100 times better than razr maxx my friend has.

I am not too worried about it. However galaxy nexus did look bad on low brightness when there was white background. From what I have read in reviews, samsung has tweaked the colors and screen and that issue is no longer there.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing how bad of a rep the pentile display gets now because of the crap that Motorola offered. When Samsung first had the original Galaxy S everyone was raving about how great that screen was. That is right, the screen on the original Galaxy S is also a pentile display. I occasionally see members here who rants about how they aren't happy that the Galaxy S 3 has a pentile display and thought it might look bad when they said that hey had owned a original Epic 4G ( sprint's version of the original Galaxy S ). So obviously they could not see the pentile effect on that low resolution screen. What makes them think they can see the pentile effect on such a high resolution screen?

mztiklimit

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
While the HTC One X screen, for example, looks incredible.. I really don't mind having the S3 with 'pentile'. First of all, it's at 720p HD resolution with a 306ppi screen. Lastly, the Galaxy S1 (Epic 4G, in my case) still looks great and that had a pentile screen.

Of course, I would've liked Super AMOLED Plus.. but that's a given for everyone.

JoelPollack

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The Society for Information Display, world's experts on displays quality, have awarded the 2012 Display Application gold award to the Galaxy Note, a 5.3-inch PenTile OLED. This is the second year in a row that a PenTile OLED display has taken this coveted gold award. Perhaps PenTile displays are not so bad as some like to claim.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I love my Galaxy Note screen! I believe it has a ppi of 285 and it is great! I know some say they can see the sub pixel arrangement and I have no reason to doubt them, but I think the display is stunning as it is to most people that see it. I certainly cannot see anything which detracts from pictures, text or video. I have excellent vision.

Can't wait to try out the SGSIII! I realize the HOX has a great screen, also but I am a Sammy fanboy and will stick with Samsung.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
What's even more wild....it's not even that bad on my RAZR. I had a g nex and have a Rezound.

Pentile in general gets a bad rep.

It's not getting a bad rep because of moto..it's getting a bad rap because some folks go by the pics zoomed in 100x...or hold the phone closer than normal looking for it. It got a bad rep when the HTC incredible and gs1 launched. That's well before moto used it.

I think the g nex screen looks better....but I don't think it looks waaaay better. And compared to the Rezound...a non pentile screen? Prefer my RAZR screen alot more. Pentile doesn't take away from the RAZR screen at my normal distance, but the cons of the Rezound screen does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It's amazing how bad of a rep the pentile display gets now because of the crap that Motorola offered. When Samsung first had the original Galaxy S everyone was raving about how great that screen was. That is right, the screen on the original Galaxy S is also a pentile display. I occasionally see members here who rants about how they aren't happy that the Galaxy S 3 has a pentile display and thought it might look bad when they said that hey had owned a original Epic 4G ( sprint's version of the original Galaxy S ). So obviously they could not see the pentile effect on that low resolution screen. What makes them think they can see the pentile effect on such a high resolution screen?
Galaxy S screen sucked. I hope the S3 is better, but subpixel sharing is stupid. I won't hold my breath.

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Nexus a Razr and they are not even close in te same quality. I would even go as far as to say the Nexus is close to the iPhone 4S screen.

The Razr on the other hand...... Ugh. Really bad screens as far as Razr and Maxx go

fredknex

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I still think the display on my original Epic looks great. I was actually not very excited by the One X's display, it was smooth and great looking, but not as vibrant and over saturated, which I have always liked.
With a higher resolution, the SIII will probably look great to any normal person.

Of course I have mild astigmatism and don't often wear my glasses, it really smooths out those jagged edges.

sk102704

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Bionic since September, and according to every forum and blog site it has the worst screen in the history of screens. It has a Pentile screen and for the first week or so it bothered me but after that I started to love it. Its great outdoors, gets better battery life, and its very bright (even at dimmer settings). As someone who has looked at a Pentile screen every single day since early September, I can say that it is a non issue. If you like everything else about the phone then get it, you won't be disappointed.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Motorola destroyed pentile screens. Much like they destroy everything they touch. This one will be fine, and won't matter at 1024x768.

JustSomeDudeHere

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have had the Bionic since September, and according to every forum and blog site it has the worst screen in the history of screens. It has a Pentile screen and for the first week or so it bothered me but after that I started to love it. Its great outdoors, gets better battery life, and its very bright (even at dimmer settings). As someone who has looked at a Pentile screen every single day since early September, I can say that it is a non issue. If you like everything else about the phone then get it, you won't be disappointed.

Interesting, I had the opposite experience: I had the Moto Photon (similar screen to the Bionic), which at first I thought looked great, but over time I really noticed all those pixels, and it really started to bother me.

I think the key is you really need to try any phone out intensely for the first few days to make sure you're ok with the display -- it seems opinions of what looks good to one person can vary wildly from that of another person.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Droid 3 and the pentile screen didn't really bother me at first, but as time wore on it started to bug me more and more. Especially in games and some videos. I'll be glad to get rid of it.

I actually just went to a VZW store over lunch today to check out the Galaxy Nexus, specifically the size, but also the screen. I also checked out the Razer Maxx, which I was not too keen on. Although the Razr screen looked better than my Droid 3, it still shared the same issues for me. Happily, the screen of the GN looked fine to me.

Bring on the GSIII!

-Suntan

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
razr is qhd not 720p. I have had the nexus and a maxx and could not see any pixels on the nexus so unless you do super up close shots of the phone you won't notice it. People blow it way out of proportion.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
For all you overly intelligent screen geeks out there; can you explain how Moto destroyed the screen on the Razr when they did not produce the screen? I thought it was purchased from anther company (Samsung?). If so, how and why did Moto make it worse?
Just curious and not looking to debate since I don't know the answer. Just asking. So if you want to flame me on the net go right ahead. (But never in person!)

Would really like to learn something of intelligence on this subject.:D

Reactions: jroc

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Same thing was said about qHD. It DOES matter.

Now, now, no need to start capitalizing...

The truth is that we won't know for ourselves until they show up state-side. Right now the GN is the closest phone to check out. Or wait until next week or so and head to an AT&T store.

-Suntan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude