Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but seeing the trend of how RAM has jumped in increments as low as 128K (HTC Hero (384MB) to Evo (512MB) to Sensation (768MB) Evo 3D (1GB) or by as much as 512MB Vibrant and then jumped to 1GB with SGSII so i can't help but but wonder why Samsung is being so generous by throwing a WHOLE GB extra of RAM when the Int'l version is still on 1 GB...

I googled & googled but not any real info on why 1GB included in US Versions... And it puzzles me since the One X is running the same processor our SGS III will (US Version) and it only has has 1GB RAM and is pretty speedy (it does lag occasionally but its running Sense, and most think that is the culprit)

Thanx y'all,

BTC

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDoppio

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
And the One X/Evo 4G isn't all that speedy, according to people who use it, at least not in most of the posts that I've read here...Sense, resource hog that it is, gets most of the blame. TW isn't much better, so Samsung decided to alleviate the lag problems, smart move in my opinion.
Disclaimer: All opinions are formed by reading the forums, as I posess and use neither of these devices.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Well the answer is out. Listen to last weeks AC podcast. Breaks down like this the gpu isn't up to par on lte phones so to make up for the touch wiz lag they counter it with a gig. Just relax its all good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: DrDoppio

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The One X does not have 2G ram. It has 1GB ram.

yah, thats what i meant 1GB on S4 Processor on One X... (Fixed that, thanx!)

Anyway, i guess what was said on the Podcast makes sense, but just seems like a really big RAM jump that i had never seen on a cell phone, and it surprises me Touch Wiz is MORE resource hungry than HTC Sense... Whoda thunk it? lol

BTC

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the answer is out. Listen to last weeks AC podcast. Breaks down like this the gpu isn't up to par on lte phones so to make up for the touch wiz lag they counter it with a gig. Just relax its all good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP, please see the above post and the one from bigdaddytee above.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say... I'm using the one x and 9 times outta 10 never see lag

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

i believes ya : ) i had the One X for approx a week and the ONLY time it would lag is occasionally when i hit home button, i'd get the "loading...loading"... but would only do that on occasion. That phone was very fast, i really liked it, form factor the most beautiful i ever saw (and omg that waterfall edge glass was soooo nice to the feel) but it had a few limitations i was hesitant to overlook, so back it went and here i sit waitin' on SGS III : )

BTC

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I heard to make up for the touch wiz lag thats why your getting extra 1gb

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

IMO. I think we get that you like your EVO and Sense. As a new Android owner and a former BB 9810 owner, I am little disappointed to see the "my dog is better than your dog". It is all about personal preference and what works best for you. Slamming someone's choice to go with another smartphone (my opinion is based only on the reviews and videos with no personal experience, the GS3 is better than the EVO) is a bit immature at best. Those reviewers and bloggers can be biased but the successful ones point out the flaws and great things about each device. Those people agree that the GS3 is better than the EVO.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
IMO. I think we get that you like your EVO and Sense. As a new Android owner and a former BB 9810 owner, I am little disappointed to see the "my dog is better than your dog". It is all about personal preference and what works best for you. Slamming someone's choice to go with another smartphone based only on the reviews and videos with no personal experience is a bit immature at best.

I'm not trying to shame anyone just stating the facts about the phone...sorry if you took it that way.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
yah, thats what i meant 1GB on S4 Processor on One X... (Fixed that, thanx!)

Anyway, i guess what was said on the Podcast makes sense, but just seems like a really big RAM jump that i had never seen on a cell phone, and it surprises me Touch Wiz is MORE resource hungry than HTC Sense... Whoda thunk it? lol

BTC

Actually, SENSE is MORE resource hungry. That's why the one X has gimped multitasking! Have not listened to the podcast yet, but from what I understand the gpu shares ram with the CPU, right?
So Samsung is including the extra ram as insurance against lag, not because touchwiz NEEDs it.

Reactions: Tom S. and jcp007

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The reason the American versions of the Galaxy S 3 has 2 Gig of RAM is due to the fact they are running on Snapdragons. The Exynos ones from the International versions have 1 Gig.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, SENSE is MORE resource hungry. That's why the one X has gimped multitasking! Have not listened to the podcast yet, but from what I understand the gpu shares ram with the CPU, right?
So Samsung is including the extra ram as insurance against lag, not because touchwiz NEEDs it.

I agree. Based upon what I have heard and seen, HOX, which uses SENSE, does have some lag in browsing with really funky text reflow when using screen gestures. What is SENSE an acronym for? Serious replies only please.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Your reference to issues on multitasking is opinion only . I have not experienced any issues with multi tasking in the Evo4GLTE and HTC themselves have started the phone to be working as designed. This is also been
Experienced by many other people with regard to multi tasking. There is no lag with this phone what so ever even though I'm using 3g network....
Mod please delete sd I was speaking of the wrong phone... My badd,:D

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I look forward to the 2gigs of RAM. Will custom ROMs without TW allow you to run with more RAM available or is it locked down to the chip set?

Not really fully up on this whole 2gigs of RAM thing...

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Your reference to issues on multitasking is opinion only . I have not experienced any issues with multi tasking in the Evo4GLTE and HTC themselves have started the phone to be working as designed. This is also been
Experienced by many other people with regard to multi tasking. There is no lag with this phone what so ever even though I'm using 3g network....
Mod please delete sd I was speaking of the wrong phone... My badd,:D

The multitasking problem is not an opinion. It is a proven fact. I own the HOX.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, noted as I did explain I was referring to Evo4GLTE which I'm using . I asked mod to delete last post . My partner has the HOX also,but he's not complained about this issue to me . I know he did have an update late last week from HTC.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar