Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I read the South Korean version of the S3 will get the quad core and 2gig ram. Wouldn't surprise me if other global versions get the same upgrade at some point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I bet next years phones 2gb will b the norm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes we're all wondering and are trying to get some official word on this.

The way that different phones and chipsets report RAM use isn't the same, so getting accurate readings from the phones themselves is extremely difficult.

Early research suggests that the Exynos shares RAM between the CPU/GPU, but getting concrete info on stuff like this isn't easy. If that's the case then the reason for 2gb has to be different. The Adreno 225 isn't as fast as the Mali, but it's also not so slow that it can't get the job done. The extra RAM almost HAS to be for a reason other than the GPU, but we haven't been able to nail it down yet. RAM alone wouldn't make up for any performance deficiencies the Adreno has versus the Mali.

Claiming it's because of Sense or Touchwiz is honestly a guess at this point. Sense has had problems in the past with force closing, and I for one haven't experienced that one single time. Multi-tasking isn't the way I would like it to be, but it personally doesn't affect me that much. Not having Sense force close is a good trade, but feels like a band-aid. We do know that Samsung had ICS source longer than anyone, so HTC could be tweaking it as we speak for "Sense 4.x" or whatever it is.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was others opinion in HOX that multitasking was broken. HTC sense kills the app in the background and it is not only frozen, but killed. So if you were in the middle of something in the app, it will reload the app. That is not what I call multitasking. Lets say you play a game and you exit out of it and try to come back to it after 15-20 mins, if Sense hasn't decided to kill off the app you are good, but if it killed it in the background, you are going to have to restart the app. happens to me all the time, never happened with the galaxy nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15