Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but seeing the trend of how RAM has jumped in increments as low as 128K (HTC Hero (384MB) to Evo (512MB) to Sensation (768MB) Evo 3D (1GB) or by as much as 512MB Vibrant and then jumped to 1GB with SGSII so i can't help but but wonder why Samsung is being so generous by throwing a WHOLE GB extra of RAM when the Int'l version is still on 1 GB...

    I googled & googled but not any real info on why 1GB included in US Versions... And it puzzles me since the One X is running the same processor our SGS III will (US Version) and it only has has 1GB RAM and is pretty speedy (it does lag occasionally but its running Sense, and most think that is the culprit)

    Thanx y'all,

    BTC
    Last edited by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK; 06-18-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    Lost In LG Optimus G Pro Heaven, Lvg A Msg, Maybe I'll Call...(doubt it ) lol
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    The One X does not have 2G ram. It has 1GB ram.
  3. #3  
    bigdaddytee's Avatar

    Posts
    756 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    And the One X/Evo 4G isn't all that speedy, according to people who use it, at least not in most of the posts that I've read here...Sense, resource hog that it is, gets most of the blame. TW isn't much better, so Samsung decided to alleviate the lag problems, smart move in my opinion.
    Disclaimer: All opinions are formed by reading the forums, as I posess and use neither of these devices.


    Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515
  4. #4  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    Well the answer is out. Listen to last weeks AC podcast. Breaks down like this the gpu isn't up to par on lte phones so to make up for the touch wiz lag they counter it with a gig. Just relax its all good.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post
    The One X does not have 2G ram. It has 1GB ram.
    yah, thats what i meant 1GB on S4 Processor on One X... (Fixed that, thanx!)

    Anyway, i guess what was said on the Podcast makes sense, but just seems like a really big RAM jump that i had never seen on a cell phone, and it surprises me Touch Wiz is MORE resource hungry than HTC Sense... Whoda thunk it? lol

    BTC
    Last edited by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK; 06-18-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    Lost In LG Optimus G Pro Heaven, Lvg A Msg, Maybe I'll Call...(doubt it ) lol
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Well the answer is out. Listen to last weeks AC podcast. Breaks down like this the gpu isn't up to par on lte phones so to make up for the touch wiz lag they counter it with a gig. Just relax its all good.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    OP, please see the above post and the one from bigdaddytee above.
  7. #7  

    Default

    Yes I heard to make up for the touch wiz lag thats why your getting extra 1gb

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
  8. #8  

    Default

    Gotta say... I'm using the one x and 9 times outta 10 never see lag

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by libb51usmc View Post
    Gotta say... I'm using the one x and 9 times outta 10 never see lag

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    i believes ya : ) i had the One X for approx a week and the ONLY time it would lag is occasionally when i hit home button, i'd get the "loading...loading"... but would only do that on occasion. That phone was very fast, i really liked it, form factor the most beautiful i ever saw (and omg that waterfall edge glass was soooo nice to the feel) but it had a few limitations i was hesitant to overlook, so back it went and here i sit waitin' on SGS III : )

    BTC
    Lost In LG Optimus G Pro Heaven, Lvg A Msg, Maybe I'll Call...(doubt it ) lol
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by libb51usmc View Post
    Gotta say... I'm using the one x and 9 times outta 10 never see lag

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    My partner has the LTE network and he's flying with his...:beer::thumbup:

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury81 View Post
    Yes I heard to make up for the touch wiz lag thats why your getting extra 1gb

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
    IMO. I think we get that you like your EVO and Sense. As a new Android owner and a former BB 9810 owner, I am little disappointed to see the "my dog is better than your dog". It is all about personal preference and what works best for you. Slamming someone's choice to go with another smartphone (my opinion is based only on the reviews and videos with no personal experience, the GS3 is better than the EVO) is a bit immature at best. Those reviewers and bloggers can be biased but the successful ones point out the flaws and great things about each device. Those people agree that the GS3 is better than the EVO.
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcp006 View Post
    IMO. I think we get that you like your EVO and Sense. As a new Android owner and a former BB 9810 owner, I am little disappointed to see the "my dog is better than your dog". It is all about personal preference and what works best for you. Slamming someone's choice to go with another smartphone based only on the reviews and videos with no personal experience is a bit immature at best.
    I'm not trying to shame anyone just stating the facts about the phone...sorry if you took it that way.

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK View Post
    yah, thats what i meant 1GB on S4 Processor on One X... (Fixed that, thanx!)

    Anyway, i guess what was said on the Podcast makes sense, but just seems like a really big RAM jump that i had never seen on a cell phone, and it surprises me Touch Wiz is MORE resource hungry than HTC Sense... Whoda thunk it? lol

    BTC
    Actually, SENSE is MORE resource hungry. That's why the one X has gimped multitasking! Have not listened to the podcast yet, but from what I understand the gpu shares ram with the CPU, right?
    So Samsung is including the extra ram as insurance against lag, not because touchwiz NEEDs it.
    Thanked by 2:
    jcp007Tom S. 
    jcp007 likes this.
  14. #14  
    Speedygi's Avatar

    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,624 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

    Default

    The reason the American versions of the Galaxy S 3 has 2 Gig of RAM is due to the fact they are running on Snapdragons. The Exynos ones from the International versions have 1 Gig.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    Actually, SENSE is MORE resource hungry. That's why the one X has gimped multitasking! Have not listened to the podcast yet, but from what I understand the gpu shares ram with the CPU, right?
    So Samsung is including the extra ram as insurance against lag, not because touchwiz NEEDs it.
    I agree. Based upon what I have heard and seen, HOX, which uses SENSE, does have some lag in browsing with really funky text reflow when using screen gestures. What is SENSE an acronym for? Serious replies only please.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazrRocketArm View Post
    Actually, SENSE is MORE resource hungry. That's why the one X has gimped multitasking! Have not listened to the podcast yet, but from what I understand the gpu shares ram with the CPU, right?
    So Samsung is including the extra ram as insurance against lag, not because touchwiz NEEDs it.
    Your reference to issues on multitasking is opinion only . I have not experienced any issues with multi tasking in the Evo4GLTE and HTC themselves have started the phone to be working as designed. This is also been
    Experienced by many other people with regard to multi tasking. There is no lag with this phone what so ever even though I'm using 3g network....
    Mod please delete sd I was speaking of the wrong phone... My badd,
    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
    Last edited by Mercury81; 06-18-2012 at 08:35 AM.
  17. #17  
    bigbot45's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    I'm psyched for the 2Gig's...hopefully it makes the phone easily upgradeable to Android 5.x and 6.x.
  18. #18  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    I look forward to the 2gigs of RAM. Will custom ROMs without TW allow you to run with more RAM available or is it locked down to the chip set?

    Not really fully up on this whole 2gigs of RAM thing...
  19. #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury81 View Post
    Your reference to issues on multitasking is opinion only . I have not experienced any issues with multi tasking in the Evo4GLTE and HTC themselves have started the phone to be working as designed. This is also been
    Experienced by many other people with regard to multi tasking. There is no lag with this phone what so ever even though I'm using 3g network....
    Mod please delete sd I was speaking of the wrong phone... My badd,
    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
    The multitasking problem is not an opinion. It is a proven fact. I own the HOX.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  

    Default

    Yes, noted as I did explain I was referring to Evo4GLTE which I'm using . I asked mod to delete last post . My partner has the HOX also,but he's not complained about this issue to me . I know he did have an update late last week from HTC.

    from Evo4GLTE on Android Central
  21. #21  

    Default

    I read the South Korean version of the S3 will get the quad core and 2gig ram. Wouldn't surprise me if other global versions get the same upgrade at some point.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  22. #22  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    I bet next years phones 2gb will b the norm.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    I bet next years phones 2gb will b the norm.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    No doubt they will. Once again, Samsung "raising the bar" : )

    Thanx for all the replies y'all!

    BTC
    Lost In LG Optimus G Pro Heaven, Lvg A Msg, Maybe I'll Call...(doubt it ) lol
  24. #24  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,537 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default

    Actually lg first phone with 2gb
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSSY TEXAS CHICK View Post
    No doubt they will. Once again, Samsung "raising the bar" : )

    Thanx for all the replies y'all!

    BTC


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  25. #25  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Is Anyone Else Questioning WHY The Generous 2GB RAM?

    Yes we're all wondering and are trying to get some official word on this.

    The way that different phones and chipsets report RAM use isn't the same, so getting accurate readings from the phones themselves is extremely difficult.

    Early research suggests that the Exynos shares RAM between the CPU/GPU, but getting concrete info on stuff like this isn't easy. If that's the case then the reason for 2gb has to be different. The Adreno 225 isn't as fast as the Mali, but it's also not so slow that it can't get the job done. The extra RAM almost HAS to be for a reason other than the GPU, but we haven't been able to nail it down yet. RAM alone wouldn't make up for any performance deficiencies the Adreno has versus the Mali.

    Claiming it's because of Sense or Touchwiz is honestly a guess at this point. Sense has had problems in the past with force closing, and I for one haven't experienced that one single time. Multi-tasking isn't the way I would like it to be, but it personally doesn't affect me that much. Not having Sense force close is a good trade, but feels like a band-aid. We do know that Samsung had ICS source longer than anyone, so HTC could be tweaking it as we speak for "Sense 4.x" or whatever it is.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions