Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Default Re: S III Battery life...

A battery pull? What are you talking about?

This is the 2nd time my battery has run down and I got the phone 2 days ago and spent a lot of time on it that first day getting all my apps on it, getting wallpapers, etc.

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Well, by battery pull i meant- i removed the battery and re-inserted back in. I don't know what that did but my phone has been giving me wonderful performance after that (If you were a blackberry user anytime you would have known what exactly a battery pull is ) . Just my experience.

Nope, never was a Blackberry user lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I'm not happy either. I talked to a friend with the iphone5 and he is experiencing the same issues. I have the extended Hyperion battery and the phone shows that it's 100% charged each night, but it's truly not. Anywhere from 74 to 88 percent as soon as it boots up. I'm really pissed about this. Now I think I will have to purchase the Seidio battery and see if it's better, but I'm tired of spending money on this phone. Every day is a mystery on how long the phone will last. I'm thinking 4GLTE has a lot to do with it, but at what price? As far as I'm concerned, yes this is a great phone with a lot of features, but it sucks that you have to plug it in constantly. Which makes all those features useless. I'm just about ready to go back to my iphone4.

Oh I forgot to mention, my battery time is also with 4G/LTE and I understand it uses a lot of battery. I was told with my last phone I shouldn't be plugging it in all the time or keeping it plugged up after it is charged. I've only plugged this on up when it's down to about 2% and the first couple of times I let the phone run until the battery went completely out and shut down my phone.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Well, here's what an AT&T (corporate store) employee told me last night:

Let your GS3 go completely dead;
    Plug it in (to wall charger, not vehicle charger) and turn phone on as soon as it will turn on;
    Charge your GS3 (with it turned on) for 10 hours (e.g.- keeping it plugged in even though it reached a full charge after an hour or so);
    Unplug the GS3 turn GS3 off plug back in and charge it for 1 hour;
    Unplug the GS3 turn GS3 on plug back in and charge it for 1 hour;

Total of: 12 hours!

. . he said that this method will 'properly re-calibrate the GS3's battery'. He claimed he read/saw this method on an XDA HTC forum, a few years ago, posted by an HTC Rep. He said that he used this method with his HTC Vivid, and that it should work equally as well with the GS3 since the HTC Vivid & GS3 both run on Lithium Ion batteries; the Vivid w/ 1620 mAh; the GS3 w/ 2100 mAh.

. . he also said that, in his opinion, vehicle chargers should "never be used", unless absolutely necessary, and then only briefly until enough of a charge exists 'til the GS3 can be plugged back into the wall or a computer.

Any thoughts on this method?

Quote Originally Posted by fireidiot View Post
    I'm not happy either. I talked to a friend with the iphone5 and he is experiencing the same issues. I have the extended Hyperion battery and the phone shows that it's 100% charged each night, but it's truly not. Anywhere from 74 to 88 percent as soon as it boots up. I'm really pissed about this. Now I think I will have to purchase the Seidio battery and see if it's better, but I'm tired of spending money on this phone. Every day is a mystery on how long the phone will last. I'm thinking 4GLTE has a lot to do with it, but at what price? As far as I'm concerned, yes this is a great phone with a lot of features, but it sucks that you have to plug it in constantly. Which makes all those features useless. I'm just about ready to go back to my iphone4.
    I've been thinking the same thing recently. The AT&T guy I spoke with last night also said: 'when the GS3 gets to 100% charged . . it's really not 100%'. And that it's best to leave it plugged-in some while longer (however long that is?) . . because it continues to get a 'small trickle' of a charge that brings it 'eventually up to a true 100%' . . 'due to the fact that when the GS3 initially shows 100%, it's false, and not really 100%.'

Any of that make any sense?
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 11-29-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Thanked by:

That's called "Bump Charging"

Doing this isn't very good for your battery. Yes you can get a few extra %'s, but doing this can cause irreparable damage to the battery. Lithium Ion batteries are designed to operate well within a certain range. To keep from damaging the batteries/overcharging/overheating and corrosion, the manufacturers artificially limit the charging. So your phone reports 100% charge, in actuality, it might be 95% capacity.

I've read many white papers on lithium-ion batteries.. Here's a good read,

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing) - xda-developers

Here's something to keep in mind,

"Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory."
    - I never recommend discharging your battery completely. When you discharge a LI-ION battery, you actually damage cells.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

"Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening."
    I bolded that bottom part.. DO NOT EVER let a li-ion discharge completely regardless of what the store dummies/CSR's tell you. They are reading que cards, and remember, they work for a company that sells products. They tell you to discharge, and you'll ruin your battery quicker, requiring you to buy one sooner.
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
    Thanked by 2:
    winmod21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fr3GStoGS3 View Post
    Well, here's what an AT&T (corporate store) employee told me last night:

Let your GS3 go completely dead;
    Plug it in (to wall charger, not vehicle charger) and turn phone on as soon as it will turn on;
    Charge your GS3 (with it turned on) for 10 hours (e.g.- keeping it plugged in even though it reached a full charge after an hour or so);
    Unplug the GS3 turn GS3 off plug back in and charge it for 1 hour;
    Unplug the GS3 turn GS3 on plug back in and charge it for 1 hour;

Total of: 12 hours!

. . he said that this method will 'properly re-calibrate the GS3's battery'. He claimed he read/saw this method on an XDA HTC forum, a few years ago, posted by an HTC Rep. He said that he used this method with his HTC Vivid, and that it should work equally as well with the GS3 since the HTC Vivid & GS3 both run on Lithium Ion batteries; the Vivid w/ 1620 mAh; the GS3 w/ 2100 mAh.

. . he also said that, in his opinion, vehicle chargers should "never be used", unless absolutely necessary, and then only briefly until enough of a charge exists 'til the GS3 can be plugged back into the wall or a computer.

Any thoughts on this method?

I've been thinking the same thing recently. The AT&T guy I spoke with last night also said: 'when the GS3 gets to 100% charged . . it's really not 100%'. And that it's best to leave it plugged-in some while longer (however long that is?) . . because it continues to get a 'small trickle' of a charge that brings it 'eventually up to a true 100%' . . 'due to the fact that when the GS3 initially shows 100%, it's false, and not really 100%.'

Any of that make any sense?
    I get that it might show 100% but actually be 90 or above, but not 65 as mine showed this morning. Also, within 30 minutes it went from 65% down to 12%. I checked Gsam and it wasn't an app causing that. I think the charging circuits in these phones are junk. I will be contacting AT&T for a replacement phone tomorrow. BTW, I have had the same charging issue with the stock battery and the Hyperion battery. I have also used different chargers with the same rating and have has this issue. I have also done 3 factory resets, and the last reset I didn't load anything except Gsam and SwiftKey. I'm done troubleshooting. If replacing this phone doesn't fix it, I'm going to a different phone completely.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post

Doing this isn't very good for your battery. Yes you can get a few extra %'s, but doing this can cause irreparable damage to the battery. Lithium Ion batteries are designed to operate well within a certain range. To keep from damaging the batteries/overcharging/overheating and corrosion, the manufacturers artificially limit the charging. So your phone reports 100% charge, in actuality, it might be 95% capacity.

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing) - xda-developers

- I never recommend discharging your battery completely. When you discharge a LI-ION battery, you actually damage cells.

I bolded that bottom part.. DO NOT EVER let a li-ion discharge completely regardless of what the store dummies/CSR's tell you. They are reading que cards, and remember, they work for a company that sells products. They tell you to discharge, and you'll ruin your battery quicker, requiring you to buy one sooner.
    As an Electronics Technician I completely agree with your statements.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post

All very interesting. Thanks so much, sniffs.
    What you've shared and the info. within the links that you've also kindly shared makes much more sense to me. Appreciate the links, your prompt reply, and your helping to set us straight!

Just glad I posted that AT&T guys' so-called charging & re-calibrating methods . . for review here . . before trying any of it, which we obviously shouldn't..

I let the Hyperion 4400 drain down to 3% last night, turned off the phone and charged all night. It said 100% this morning and within 5 minutes it dropped to 77%. I'm stumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfrrr View Post
    My experience with Hyperion batteries is similar. I think they never really fully charged. But my Samsung and seidio batteries do charge fully. If they say 100%, that's what they mean.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    I think if this doesn't get any better, I'll breakdown of and buy the Sedio battery.
    I have better results (longer usage) with the Hyperion than with the Seidio battery, I have both. For a while, my S3 was doing very well on battery life - well, at least as well as it ever has.

Now the past week, its all gone to complete **** again. With the Hyperion 4200 ma battery, I'm down to 69% after 4 hours & 45 minutes of usage. The thing I'm seeing but not able to figure out is - of that high battery usage, GSAM says that 69.3% of it is from "Android System." I had recently installed a few new apps - mostly for Black Friday - but have gone back and removed everything I installed recently, but the "Android System" usage is still ridiculously high.
    Longtime BlackBerry user, navigating my way through the Android forest,
    sometimes wishing for a better map!

ROM

Hey DallasFlier Thanks again for all your friendly help a month or so ago! Being able to download the Adobe Flash Player; a good note app; the MPR & TuneIn apps; plus upgrade the build & base to [~LH9] w/ the brightness slider all contributed to helping me decide to stay with the GS3.
    Been meaning to 'thank you' again. So thanks again.

Just curious, overall, have you been happy with the Gsam app? And don't feel that it may be contributing to excessive battery drain? I see that the reviews are pretty stellar.

Those links posted (up above, 5 posts) by sniffs are all very interesting reads, imo.
    Last edited by fr3GStoGS3; 11-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    DallasFlier likes this.

A week after getting a new battery, and 1 good day, 1 okay day, and the rest just as bad as before.

Today for instance - took off charge this morning, it's now 4:30. Showing 8h 21m on battery, I'm at 26%. That wouldn't be horrible - assuming I was actually using the phone. Largest offenders are:

Cell standy - 36%
    Screen - 20% - 35 m of screen time
    Voice - 9% - 16 m of talk time

Everything else is very small. So for my phone to essentially sit all day, I make a few phone calls, play Temple Run for 10 minutes, and check a few emails, and if I was going out tonight my phone would be dead by the end of supper? Just crazy. And what's worse, is 90% of the people are getting normal battery life, or even exceptional with extended batteries etc. and this seems to only affect a small portion of us, and so I've found no solutions.

Maybe I just need to back up my phone and try another one? I know one thing - I never once worried about my battery on my iphone 3gs in 3 - 4 years of owning it, it only died early when I was excessively using it and wasn't as good toward the end but still got me up until 9 - 11pm at night with normal usage. Now all I do is look down during the day to make sure I get enough of a charge to carry me through the day/night...

Scott
    Thanked by:

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by scottjen26 View Post
    Maybe I just need to back up my phone and try another one? I know one thing - I never once worried about my battery on my iphone 3gs in 3 - 4 years of owning it, it only died early when I was excessively using it and wasn't as good toward the end but still got me up until 9 - 11pm at night with normal usage. Now all I do is look down during the day to make sure I get enough of a charge to carry me through the day/night...

Scott
    I couldn't agree more, Scott. Coming from the 3GS as well, my experiences have been identical to yours.
    On the other hand (operating system), these GS3's seem to be turning us all into human battery percentage monitors. lol

I had the phone and battery swapped today. So let's see what happens next. :-/

Anker 4500. No NFC but a battery that holds a charge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

So it seems that getting a replacement phone has done well for me. I have loaded most of the apps that I had before, except GSAM and The Weather Channel (the AT&T rep advised against them) and I have been running the Hyperion battery for almost 17 hours and I have 57% left right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S III Battery life...-uploadfromtaptalk1354513901444.jpg  

At the moment I don't have time to read all 18 pages of this thread so please excuse me if the topic has already been covered. Did your old phone always have poor battery life from when it was brand new? I just got mine on Black Friday and the battery life is noticeably worse than my Captivate Galaxy S was. I know the fact that the S3 is 4G/LTE accounts for higher battery usage (Captivate was 3G). As an example, today I was testing my phone auto syncing calender/tasks through my Outlook Exchange Server (which worked perfectly) for about a half hour and my battery dropped from 93% to 73%.

I use my phone for business (don't watch videos/play music) and I'm so concerned with the battery usage I'm seriously thinking about getting a Seidio extended battery case w/ Hyperion 4200 because I have times when I'm on the phone for a couple of hours w/ tech support in the field and have to send emails. I don't really want the Seidio case because it won't fit in my Akron car dock and I want a case w/ belt clip that allows the phone screen to face out (which the Seidio won't) but from everything I've read the battery usage demands an extended battery to have more than 4-5 hours of power even under moderate usage (in my case email/text/phone calls). Does everyone agree that's pretty much the case?

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    At the moment I don't have time to read all 18 pages of this thread so please excuse me if the topic has already been covered. Did your old phone always have poor battery life from when it was brand new? I just got mine on Black Friday and the battery life is noticeably worse than my Captivate Galaxy S was. I know the fact that the S3 is 4G/LTE accounts for higher battery usage (Captivate was 3G). As an example, today I was testing my phone auto syncing calender/tasks through my Outlook Exchange Server (which worked perfectly) for about a half hour and my battery dropped from 93% to 73%.

I use my phone for business (don't watch videos/play music) and I'm so concerned with the battery usage I'm seriously thinking about getting a Seidio extended battery case w/ Hyperion 4200 because I have times when I'm on the phone for a couple of hours w/ tech support in the field and have to send emails. I don't really want the Seidio case because it won't fit in my Akron car dock and I want a case w/ belt clip that allows the phone screen to face out (which the Seidio won't) but from everything I've read the battery usage demands an extended battery to have more than 4-5 hours of power even under moderate usage (in my case email/text/phone calls). Does everyone agree that's pretty much the case?
    Mine was fine in the beginning (I think I got it in late July) but I started having issues around early October. I'm at 10 hours of battery life today and I've only burned 30% today using the Hyperion 4400 battery. Although usage was a bit lighter today than normal.

This isn't to bad at 75percent brightness

Normal use is generally around 14-16 hours and i use my phone almost constantly for that on mostly wifi and sometimes 3g. I was shocked at how well airplane mode saved battery life! The pics below are using airplane mode most of the time. look at the difference! I always have brightness set at 0 and use the stock task manager to kill tasks before screen off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S III Battery life...-uploadfromtaptalk1354629202676.jpg   S III Battery life...-uploadfromtaptalk1354629378221.jpg  
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #447  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts

Today, boom!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S III Battery life...-uploadfromtaptalk1354886685393.jpg  

@naviwilliams What are you running ROM wise? I'm no where close to anything like this. WOW! I'd love that kinda battery life.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #449  
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts

The standard AT&T Jelly Bean OS.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdaryl View Post
    @naviwilliams What are you running ROM wise? I'm no where close to anything like this. WOW! I'd love that kinda battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdaryl View Post
    I've been getting 19 and 20 hours with 5-6 hours of screen time. I disabled some of the bloatware and have my screen turned down to less than 50%
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021 ... LastLast