S III Battery life...

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I just dont see how it can be the charger. Its just a usb cable. I got mine plugged into a iphone base with the samsung usb cable. Its probably the battery more than anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Some chargers use more voltage than others, thats why some charge slower than others

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x361/maritime711/Screenshot_2012-10-24-06-31-36.png

Mine stinks. I dont understand some peoples opinion of heavy use but i know my iphone would only be at around 75-80% doing same thing

This is a good example. The reason I have and use my SGS3 is because I can do things with an android device that I can't do with an iPhone or Blackberry. Yes, this model has a low performance battery if you compare it with other devices, but there are still options to modify it such as using an extended battery. I love this device for its practical use and as I said, allows me to do things that I can't do with an iPhone or Blackberry. This is just a matter of individual needs and look for the device that fits your needs. This one does it for me.

maritime85

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself is beautiful but my biggest peave is the battery. Can u recommend a good replacement battery that will still fit in original backing? I know the 4600ma ones are good but they make phone too bulky

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have an issue with the battery to where it just take FOREVER to charge? Seriously. The charger they give you is such junk. My phone has been plugged in for 2 hours and Ive gotten 5%? 5%! What is this? My iPhone would get 100% in an hour let alone 2 hours. Plus my car charger charges it 10x as fast.

Surely I cant be the only one with this issue

My (new) GS3 seems to charge from 5% to 100% in less than 2 hours, somewhere around 1.5 hrs methinks.

Hey, does anyone know what 'Cell standby' means, on the battery percentile discharging screen? eg - does 42% for 'Cell standby' seem excessive? It's at the top as the most used percentage of battery use, after 5h 32m on battery.

Thanks for any replies ;)

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Some chargers use more voltage than others, thats why some charge slower than others

Nope. Its microUSB, and the USB specification mandates the voltage be the same.

Some chargers are capable of supplying more current at the specified voltage. The phone circuitry will accept some maximum amount (don't know what that is) of current for charging, if that much or more is available. If less is available from the charger, then the charge rate will be slower.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Some chargers are capable of supplying more current at the specified voltage. The phone circuitry will accept some maximum amount (don't know what that is) of current for charging, if that much or more is available. If less is available from the charger, then the charge rate will be slower.
Lol corrected 2wice in one day, nyce
Thanks for the info!

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself is beautiful but my biggest peave is the battery. Can u recommend a good replacement battery that will still fit in original backing? I know the 4600ma ones are good but they make phone too bulky

I have the extended battery from Anker 4400 ma. Comes with the backdoor. Isn't NFC, but I don't need it. I also ordered the cover. It doesn't feel bulky and still feels light.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My (new) GS3 seems to charge from 5% to 100% in less than 2 hours, somewhere around 1.5 hrs methinks.

Hey, does anyone know what 'Cell standby' means, on the battery percentile discharging screen? eg - does 42% for 'Cell standby' seem excessive? It's at the top as the most used percentage of battery use, after 5h 32m on battery.

Thanks for any replies ;)

Cell Standby is normal if you haven't been using your phone. Typically, your screen will hog the battery, but when it's off and the OS kills processes that haven't been used in a while, it mostly sits there, pulls email and facebook updates per your app settings, and basically just sits there waiting for someone to call. That's what "Cell Standby" is...the phone just hanging out, connected to the nearest cell tower.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Amperage is what you want to look for. The typical phone charger is around 0.8 to 1.0 amps. Many tablet chargers, like the Blackberry Playbook and Nexus 7, come with 1.8 amp chargers. These will charge your phone faster than the stock charger.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Cell Standby is normal if you haven't been using your phone. Typically, your screen will hog the battery, but when it's off and the OS kills processes that haven't been used in a while, it mostly sits there, pulls email and facebook updates per your app settings, and basically just sits there waiting for someone to call. That's what "Cell Standby" is...the phone just hanging out, connected to the nearest cell tower.

Hey thanks a lot, KreepyKen. ;) I kinda was figuring it must be something like that. So that's all it does, huh? Just hang's out, waiting for someone to call, whilst using up the battery. :rolleyes: Come to think of it . . . that reminds of some people I know. ;-) Thanks again.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Amperage is what you want to look for. The typical phone charger is around 0.8 to 1.0 amps. Many tablet chargers, like the Blackberry Playbook and Nexus 7, come with 1.8 amp chargers. These will charge your phone faster than the stock charger.

Essentially correct - "amperage" is what current is measured in - amps. USB spec says that a USB port, like on your PC, has to supply a minimum of .5 amp to meet spec. But it may be capable of supplying more, that's just the minimum. And the more current supplied, the faster the phone battery will charge - to a point. The phone will limit the maximum current, in order to not overheat or damage the battery. I don't know what that limit is though - and it may be a variable limit based on battery temperature.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I read on this battery site that it's not good for the battery to charge too fast or it can mess it up. I also read its not good to fully deplete the battery then charge it back up. I usually let my battery go to about 1% before I charge it back up to extend the life, I don't fully deplete it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I read on this battery site that it's not good for the battery to charge too fast or it can mess it up. I also read its not good to fully deplete the battery then charge it back up. I usually let my battery go to about 1% before I charge it back up to extend the life, I don't fully deplete it

Pretty much true, yes. As for charging too fast, the modern smartphones monitor the temperature of the battery and won't let it charge too fast. Its true that its best for Lithium-Ion batteries to not let them totally discharge - even down to 1% is not ideal, although once in a while won't hurt it. Its best to charge when able, even if its only down to half or so, and keep it relatively fully charged when you can conveniently.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Then what about all that recent advice about periodically "conditioning" and "reconditioning" your battery by running it down all the way and then recharging it?

Sent from my GT-I9300

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Bought these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008GWIVTQ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2264914
Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S3 Extended Battery HoneyComb TPU Case -Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
So now I have a spare stock battery. Just received the new stuff today and it fits very well. Charging the 4200 mAh battery right now in the phone, which feels less able to slip out of my hands.

EDIT: this battery works very well. Yesterday I unplugged the charge at 5:AM and at 10:pM it had 78% charge remaining. Battery worries are over and I can use the display at full brightness.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles