Using KIES to get Itunes Playlists to show up?

carman5200

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got my S3, and I used to use Doubletwist, but can no longer use it to sync my device due to the fact they have disabled the "Mass Storage Mode" on USB options...my only option is to use KIES, which at first sucked but then I sorta figured it out. It pulled my Itunes playlists, in which in the sync options of the phone I sync'd certain playlists, thinking the actual playlist would show up in my S3 music player...they didn't...How do I get the playlists to come up on my S3 if my music is there now?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I used Kies for Windows to transfer Outlook contact numbers and addresses as well as my calendar. There is a version Apple as well.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Am going to get a GS3 and was advised to install Kies to import my iTunes so that I can sync with the GS3. Since I haven't really created many play lists in iTunes, when I go to export the music, I have to do it ONE tune at a time, rather than Kies just importing the whole thing. That really sucks in my estimation. Anyone have suggestions? I guess the only option is to create on play list with all the tunes and then import? Hmmmm.. Enjoy the GS3. Those that got their seem to be loving it so far!

sdmu

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

sdmu

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I jumped the gun...I think I was looking at the free version which is only UK...the 2.99 paid version is compatible here! Yay!! Gonna try it shortly!

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
**Edit: I found a easier way and made a how-to Here

You can add the playlist without additional apps. I still don't know why Kies will do all of that work but not make a M3U playlist files.

So after searching lots of forums I found this out.

Use Kies to import the playlist from itunes, which really only transfers the music files into the media folder on the s3(I don't understand why it doesn't put them into the "music" folder).

I moved the files over to the music folder manually in windows you don't have to do this, I just thought it made more sense.

Now open Itunes and right click on a playlist,

choose "export" typical windows box will comes for the file location and name. I changed the file to the playlist name like "rock" and the file type as a m3u.

Then I used windows to drop it into the same folder as the mp3's

Last edited:

carman5200

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I found the only easy(ish) free way is to sync songs with Kies, and then save the Playlist as an M3U, and copy over to the media folder...it works.

I just wish you didn't have to do that extra step, like when I used to use Doubletwist. Now that the Mass Storage mode is disabled, then it won't work. Doubletwist said they're working on making it work now...

Thanks for the help.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, if non-DRM iTunes music files can be just drag / dropped or copy / pasted by simply using the mass storage transfer mode, can playlists be equally just drag / dropped?

One thing I really like about my wife's Skyrocket is the ability to add music to the SD card & not having to use iTunes or similar type software.

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
you can add music without software. just drag and drop into the folder on the phone when attached with usb.

and yes, drag and drop a playlist into the music folder on the phone.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
you can add music without software. just drag and drop into the folder on the phone when attached with usb.

and yes, drag and drop a playlist into the music folder on the phone.

Then why bother with Kies or any other third party software? I understand that Kies might be the only way to grab an update from Samsung, but the simplicity of just dragging / dropping files is one of the things that really appeal to me about Android. I so much want to forget about having to use iTunes to add music or other files to my phone.

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Then why bother with Kies or any other third party software? I understand that Kies might be the only way to grab an update from Samsung, but the simplicity of just dragging / dropping files is one of the things that really appeal to me about Android. I so much want to forget about having to use iTunes to add music or other files to my phone.

you don't have to use it but It can save time, I don't want to pick through my mp3's to put certain songs on my phone. I have mine set up into Genres and it may not be all of my "rock" song but my favorites(which that playlist contains 215 songs). I already use a ipod and did have a iphone so importing my playlist from itunes saves huge amounts of time.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site

The drag and drop method is fine if you remember to do it every time you buy a new song on either your phone or computer. If you want the simplicity of syncing so that your computer and phone have the same stuff, you need a 3rd part app.

I use iSyncr with the wifi add-on. I have it set up to run every night at 2:00 AM when attached to wifi. It works great and I have had no issues with it since installing it a month ago when I got the phone.

iSyncr allows you to select specific playlists, then copies the music, album art and playlists themselves over to the phone. Once I create the playlist in iTunes, I can then select that playlist in iSyncr and it does the rest. It works with smart playlists as well as static playlists.

I am looking at this thread to determine if I should start using Kies and after reading some of the posts regarding playlists my answer is a firm NO. At least to sync my music. I use playlists a lot.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
OK well I just got my GS3 a few days ago. I installed Kies, imported my iTunes, though it only imported about 50 tunes. However, I did not do the iTunes export and create a play list in mp3 like some of you are suggesting. So my question is were I to create a play list in mp3 and then import that to Kies, would ALL my music transfer? I had no problems transferring what I was able to import at all.. I also have NO clue how you would drag and drop into the phone.

dendeng

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded my music from google to my S3. The only music player that sees the music is Play Music. Why won't any other player find my music? My music is stored on the device, not the memory card.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded my music from google to my S3. The only music player that sees the music is Play Music. Why won't any other player find my music? My music is stored on the device, not the memory card.

I think Google Play music uses some kind of custom format that only the Play Music app can read even of you download it to your device. I've used file explorers after I have downloaded music before and I can only see weirdly named files and folders where the music was downloaded to.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza